Mar Des Amores or Catalina

Travel discussion for St. John
sailorgirl

Mar Des Amores or Catalina

Post by sailorgirl »

We will be travelling with my husband's 17 & 19 year old daughters in July 2007. Stayed at Coconuts for our honeymoon in 8/05. Any suggestions reagrding Mar De Amores or Villa Catalina. We are looking for two or three bedrooms, A/C with pool.
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

Have you ever thought of Allesandra we stayed there a couple of times sounds just what you are looking for.
sailorgirl

Mar De Amore or Villa Catalina

Post by sailorgirl »

Allesandra looks beautiful, but it's over our spending limit. Thanks for the suggestion.
sunlover

Post by sunlover »

We stayed at Catalina twice, the most recent stay being this past March. The layout is great -- 2 master bedrooms upstairs, and a bedroom with two twins and bathroom below, with a separate entrance. I must say, however, that it was really being to fall into disrepair. It wasn't as clean as it could be, and things just needed some tlc. At the time, the owners were trying to sell it (I believe the same owners did, or still own, Mar De Amores). I don't think I'd stay there again, unless it was re-done. On the upside, it really has GREAT views, an awesome porch, and so much potential. It's also in a convenient location.
sailorgirl

Post by sailorgirl »

THanks for the info.
Berlingirl

Post by Berlingirl »

Thanks for the comments on Catalina...we tried to rent it for 8 nights next April. We're glad it fell through! We were not told we couldn't break up a week by the company that represents them , but by the the owners themselves after we'd agreed on dates. After finding out we were really serious about renting, we Actually got an email from the owners who said yes, we'll let you rent it for 8 nights next mid April, but you'll have to pay 8 nights at the high season rate even though it's during "low" season. :shock: We thought that was a little over the top and not necessary. We are first time home renters, (used to the Westin, Gallows and Secret Harbour)and this was an introduction to the good, the bad and ugly as far as villa rentals went. This experience came directly on the tail of what happened after we'd sent an online depostit for "Sea Forever". They had it for over a week when they determined "opps", our calucations are wrong, so sorry, if you want our rental...it's an extra 1k. If you don't no problem, we never processed your payment anyway. I'm hopeful the property we ended up renting is what we're hoping it will be, 3 bedrooms, all a/c throughout and close to a couple of beachs. So far the company who represents them has been great, I'll post heads up if it turns out it might work for somebody.

BTW, shortly after Catalina fell though...noticed somebody else rented it for exactly the same dates we wanted it for...hmmmm
Hoping for a USVI ticker in 2013!
2catlimit

Post by 2catlimit »

Hi There,
We have stayed at both of these villas. Unless Catalina sold, they are owned by the same people. Javier and Claudia Cividini. When we rented Catalina, we rented directly from the owners who we felt could not have been nicer. They are also co owners of Morgan's Mango and are often on the island. They built Mar De Amores as their family home and began renting it when they moved off island. When Javier met us at the ferry, on our way out of town, he stopped in front of Woody's, said he'd be right back, ran in and came back out with a cold Heinekin for each of us for the drive up. He invited us to Morgan's Mango for lobster night and reserved nice ones for us. Both times we dined there, he and Claudia sent our group after dinner drinks.
For my opinion of the houses:
Mar de Amores has a better view. It is higher up on the hillside. It is built as a 3 bedroom ranch with a master suite and 2 smaller bedrooms on the hall as well as a bath. The pool is out on the front so you get nice views while in the pool. The vine covered pergola is great for shade but not for rain. The house was not air conditioned when we rented it but I believe it has been added. My only problem with the house was that the master has a large jacuzzi tub and no shower. We just used the bath on the hall since it was just the two of us. This may have changed.

I liked the house of Catalina very much. Still a good view. It is very pretty and I loved the 2 master suites. The pool is around the side of the house to the back so it is very private, but not much view while swimming. One of the bathrooms has a door that opens to the pool area as well, very convenient. It has a very large covered porch that runs the length of the house. The bedrooms are air-conditioned. The living room could get a little warm (in June)so during the day, I would leave the bedroom a/c's on and the bedroom doors open. It was fine. I noticed a few minor repairs that could be done, but nothing significant. I would rent either of them again.
You may also want to check out Treasure Ridge (3BR)and Villa Intimasea (2BR). We have not stayed at either of these. They are in the same area.
Temptress (2BR) is as well. We liked it very much but the pool is not very big and the angled transition from shallow to deep takes up most of the bottom area so you sort of get a mountain goat effect working your way up and down it. The house was very charming and well kept, with excellent views.
As you go up Rock Ridge Road, (the first left after the Westin) Catalina is off to the right on Travelers Trail. As you go farther up Rock Ridge, Villa Intimasea is on your right, just before La Papaya. As you continue up, Allesandra is on your left with stunning views. As the road turns back to the right, Treasure Ridge is on your right, followed by Temptress next door, then Solaris. Farther on up the road at the very end is Mar de Amores. You may also want to check Inn Paradise. I have seen several people mention it. It looks pretty good and has a similar price range. I'm not sure but I think it may be at the end of Travelers Trail.
Hope this helps. I'll be happy to answer any questions I can.
Kathy Henion
Adrienne

Mar De Amores

Post by Adrienne »

My husband and I stayed in Mar De Amores for our honeymoon this past July. It was a wonderful house and as 2Catlimit said - the Cividini's own it who we dealt with directly. They couldn't have been any nicer and easy to deal with. The view was spectacular and I really liked the fact that it was the last house on the road. You never had any cars driving by. There were also a few of resident iguanas who never bothered you and were out on the trees in the back to greet you every morning. The master bath does still have the jacuzzi tub and only one shower but it was also just two of us so it was easy to use the hall bath. Also, all of the bedrooms are air conditioned!! I loved this villa and also loved how close it was to town. I would certainly recommend it.
sailorgirl

Post by sailorgirl »

Thanks for the info, especially re: the shower. I never noticed the bath in the master had only a tub. This may be a deal breaker since I vowed never to share a shower with teenagers! Is there an outdoor shower by any chance.
sailorgirl

RE: Catalina Mar Des Amores

Post by sailorgirl »

Does anyone have contact info for the Cividini's.

Thanks
Adrienne

Contact for the Cividini's

Post by Adrienne »

Here is their website - it features the two houses that they rent. They live in the Keys in Florida but I don't have their telephone number. However, if you email them they will respond fairly quickly.

http://stjohnvillas.us/Policies.htm

Actually, I did have their email save in my old wedding emails, its: cividini@bellsouth.net
sailorgirl

Post by sailorgirl »

Thanks Adrienne
2catlimit

Post by 2catlimit »

No outdoor shower when we stayed there in November '04
One would be great, though. If you stay there, up the hillside behind the house, if you look carefully you can see their childrens' treehouse. (By the way, their kids are gorgeous).
I loved the whole front side of the house being mostly glass (sliding doors and transoms). The high vaulted beam ceilings were really dramatic.
I thought the pictures of the house were a pretty realistic representation of it at the time we were there. That was 2 years ago. We stayed at Catalina in June '05 and Temptress July '06.
Kathy Henion
sailorgirl

Post by sailorgirl »

Thanks again to all for the info. This forum is great!