Businesses that only accept cash???

Travel discussion for St. John
Coden

Businesses that only accept cash???

Post by Coden »

Hello!! Question about which businesses and restaurants only accept cash? Like Uncle Joe's BBQ? Do they only accept cash? Or Vie's?

Just trying to make sure we have enough cashola. We will have to hit the ATM's I'm sure and I wonder if over the Christmas Holidays if the ATM's are kept fully loaded? Anyone ever have a problem with the machines being out of cash during the Holidays?

I'm off to a Women's Health Seminar day at the local Convention Center so I'll check back in later!!

Thanks and have a great day!!
Coden
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

Back in the day when there was only one bank on the island, the ATM would run out al the time. I think now that there is more than one ATM on the island you should be OK.
Coden

Post by Coden »

Thanks, that is good news! :)
Coden
pswlrw

Post by pswlrw »

When I was on St. John last April all the ATM machines were down at the same time (for about a day). Unfortunately for us, it was the day of our daysail on Born to Rhumb. Fortunately for us, Captain Kevin took our checks. By the next day, we were able to get cash.
Paula

LysaC

Post by LysaC »

Cash Only:
Skinny Legs
Miss Lucy's
Vie's
Lime Inn (maybe?)
I'm sure there are other places

We satyed in Coral Bay last year. The ATM at Lily's Gourmet never had money but the Love City ATM always had it.
Pia

Post by Pia »

We always pay by credit card at Skinny's (did so last night actually at their great halloween party :D ) as well as Miss Lucy's and the Lime Inn - not sure why they only took cash when you ate there as CC are the norm at these restaurants.
Joanne M

Post by Joanne M »

Do the grocery stores accept credit?
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

yes. we used credit at Starfish. Just an FYI they asked for a photo ID when we used the credit card. Not sure if that is standard or for over a certain amount of $$.
promoguy

Post by promoguy »

Have always used CC's at the below list except Vie's since I've never been there. All the others, credit cards
LysaC wrote:Cash Only:
Skinny Legs
Miss Lucy's
Vie's
Lime Inn (maybe?)
I'm sure there are other places

We satyed in Coral Bay last year. The ATM at Lily's Gourmet never had money but the Love City ATM always had it.
LysaC

Post by LysaC »

Sorry folks and thank you for correcting me.

Maybe I was just assuming. You know what happens when you "assume"!

I just got back from Vegas. Maybe it's the jet lag.

Yikes!
silverheels

Post by silverheels »

I do believe that Skinny Legs now accepts credit cards. I've used them to purchase shirts and think that I also used them for food.
StJohnRuth

Starfish

Post by StJohnRuth »

Starfish market always asks for an ID with a credit card. Every time I see a visitor in their bathing suit just off the beach with a credit card get asked for an ID, I cringe. Since this is the only place I've ever been where they require this, I can see why people don't expect it.
I always think that I want to mention it here and then forget by the time I get home. Thanks for the reminder!

-Ruth
- Ruth, St. John Spice
Coden

Post by Coden »

Thanks everyone for your responses. I think our plan of taking a "little" cash, using the ATM when needed, and using our credit cards at the restaurants and groceries will be just fine.
Coden
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

Hey Ruth - It's just customary any more for people in California to ask for ID when they are presented with a credit card for purchases. Granted, not all do - when I sell my jewelry at art shows I rarely ask for ID - but I think in this day in age where there's so much flap about identity theft that it's probably a good idea.

What gets me is that I never sign the back of my credit cards and occasionally some goofy merchant will want me to sign the card before they process it. When I ask why, the response is usually, "to protect you from someone else using it." My answer usually is, "then if I'm the thief, my signature will certainly match the back of the card, won't it?" How dumb is that kind of request in the first place?! On my CPA's advice, I usually write "ask for ID" in the signature place.