Finger Lakes?

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
Nancy_B

Finger Lakes?

Post by Nancy_B »

Ok - I'm looking to tap into the fabulous brain trust that is this Forum.

My friends and I are planning a girls weekend this Sept/Oct to the Finger Lakes to celebrate our 40th birthdays. I have been before but only once and I stayed at a B&B with my husband. I'm looking for accommodation recommendations that would be good for a group of girls (10+) in a good location. We'll do wine tasting Saturday and a hike on Sunday. Restaurant/winery recommendations are also appreciated! Also, if there is a weekend during the Sept/Oct timeframe that we should plan for or avoid, advice is welcome!

Thank you!
NancyB
NancyB
jmq

Post by jmq »

We did the B&B thing too in Skaneateles, one of the nicer lakeside towns with good restaurants etc.
If you dont get any specific feedback here, assume you will go to something like http://www.skaneateles.com/index.php?op ... &Itemid=32
for lodging and cross referencing with your guides of choice i.e. tripadvisor, Fodors, etc.
We did the wine tour sort of randomly and were very pleasantly surprised at the quality of wine.
May be unlikely that a group of girls would want to do the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, but it is a very well done museum that even my non-sports fan wife enjoyed.
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

I have not been but my best friend and her husband have stayed here frequently http://www.thesherwoodinn.com/
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

Stayed in syracuse and drove out for a day of wineing had to get a room for the night couldn't drive back.
Nancy_B

Post by Nancy_B »

Thanks, everyone! This will help me target where to stay which is a big help!

Waterguy - you crack me up! That is what usually happens to me when we go wine tasting - normally, it's in Napa/Sonoma so this should be an adventure!

Nancy
NancyB
mia

Post by mia »

Mary Beth sent you a link to the Sherwood Inn....we stayed there a couple of years ago. Their claim to fame is that Bill, Hillary and Chelsea went there when they visited Skaneateles. The town is very charming and the Inn did not disappoint...I think you and your friends would enjoy this area very much.
It takes both the sun and the rain to make a beautiful rainbow. --Unknown
Dave-a-roni

Post by Dave-a-roni »

Skaneateles is a nice little town to hang around in, a lot of shops. All the finger lakes towns are great, Watkins Glen is my favorite, lots of hiking, shops and a race track. I have done several bicycle touring trips there, wine tasted about 10 times out there too. I think where ever you pick will be nice, it's all good!
If you want, my best friends brother owns a place for rent on Keuka Lake, right in the middle where it splits. I could send you a phone number or info... but it's not a B&B, just a rental.

Dave
"Try to preserve nature where you live, not just where you visit"

Photo's
2008 http://www.flickr.com/photos/dave-a-ron ... 118102515/
2005 http://www.flickr.com/photos/dave-a-ron ... 326642810/
lavender

Post by lavender »

I actually live right in the heart of the Finger Lakes! A lovely place - especially nice if you golf too - is Bristol Harbour Resort - beautiful restaurant, hotel and golf course with beach privileges on Canandaigua Lake. Near Canandaigua there are tons of wineries, outdoor hiking opportunities as well as gorgeous scenery. It is a beautiful place to getaway to in the summer. Skaneateles is beautiful as well and is definitely more of a touristy town but very quaint and lovely. Wherever you go you will have a great time I am sure!
GQH

Post by GQH »

Hi! I am from the FLX area, got married in Skaneateles and actually just bought a place in town. I used to waitress at the Sherwood Inn too. If you call the Sherwood you can ask them about their different properties. If possible, you should try to rent some rooms at their Hobbit Hollow property up the lake a little ways. It is gorgeous. Though, if you like the idea of walking home after dinner etc. stay in town at the Sherwood Inn or the Packwood House next door.

Also, up the road from the Sherwood is the Mirbeau Inn and Spa. It is really nice, a bit pricey...but well worth it. Great spa facilities with this new outdoor spa/wine bar grotto area. Really FUN! The food is nice there as well. Rosalie's Cucinia is right near the Mirbeau good for an upscale dinner out. The Sherwood Tavern is nice for dinner too. Let me know if you have any other questions.
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
GQH

Post by GQH »

Not sure... they have a bison burger at a place called Johnny Angel's. There are a couple coffee shops in town, and the Skaneateles Bakery has reopened and is really cute.