Leaving Saturday for St. John

Travel discussion for St. John
mdcoles1

Leaving Saturday for St. John

Post by mdcoles1 »

Finally, it is almost here. 1st trip to St. John. Thanks to everyone as I have been reading your tips for 2 months, have printed out many helpful hints and will carry a thick file with me on the plane.

I am slightly nervous about the weather....predictions look rather dreary....and cloudy for week of nov. 4th. I will remain optimistic.

Last minute, dont miss it, or you will be sorry advice??
jdbcypresstx

Post by jdbcypresstx »

Just got back from St. John on Saturday. I wouldn't be too concerned with the weather reports. We saw the same predictions but there was actually very little of the time that it rained and much was at night. Not one day of our ten day trip was washed out. The mosquitoes were not as bad as we had feared either. Had a wonderful time in Coral Bay for seven nights and then two nights at the Westin Resort for our anniversary.

My better half is supposed to put together a trip report.
FlaGeorge

Post by FlaGeorge »

Don’t worry about the weather on STJ. A bad day on STJ is better then a good day at home. As my dear ole dad would say – “You can only get wet as far as the skin.”.

Your first trip – trust me, it’s going to be magical. If it’s yucky one day – head to the many kool bars. Have a drink – talk to other folks that are visiting – talk to the locals – and take a deep breath of that Caribbean air.

Have a great time and please remember to report back to us.
FlaGeorge

"Swim Against The Current - Even a Dead Fish Can Go With The Flow"
ScubaGirl

Post by ScubaGirl »

Have a great time!
You'll love it, even if it rains a bit!
Can't wait to read your TR when you get back.
tjwgrr

Post by tjwgrr »

I remember the first time we stepped off the plane in STT.... that wave of warm tropical air hitting me....

We'll be right behind you- our fourth time on STJ- arriving a week from this Thursday. Try not to drink all the rum before we get there. :P

Have a ball!!!
wontongirl

yippee

Post by wontongirl »

Yall are going to have a wonderful time. We will be in single digits tomorrow. Ditto about drinking all of the rum. I just had to go upstairs to get some Halloween stuff for the kids- saw my snorkel stuff in the storage room and decided to bring it down so I guess you could say I have started packing!
Have a cold one at the beach bar for us.
Taminark
Bill in Va

Hello hello hello....Wow to a first timer !!!!

Post by Bill in Va »

Okay okay...do I have your attention?..As my fellow forumites have told you it is gonna be OKAY. We are just drooling that you are going to be on island. I once said that "my soul smiles as I see Cruz Bay come into view". Yep you will have your own warm fuzzies that will last for ever. As you get off the plane you will look into the terminal area and see the folks doing the walk of woe wait for their flight. Wave and smile because you will be there quicker than you can say "another pain killer please". The luggage drill will be just that. Make your stuff look different than everyone elses. Ribbons/tape/stickers etc. It will take about 15 minutes for the luggage to start or longer depending on how many planes are there. GET A DRINK. The luggage comes in on the left, near the bar area by the way. Put one of you there is my plan. No need for two to block others. The taxis will be to the right of the baggage area. Ask if the taxi is going straight to Red Hook or Charlotte . Our friends picked one that did a milk run for an hour and a half to Red Hook last year. When you get to Red Hook find out when the next ferry leaves. If you have time one of you can go across the road to the grocery store up the hill. WATCH OUT WHEN YOU CROSS THE ROAD. They are coming at you from the opposite way. Get some stuff you know you will need that night. Pay the ferry bill which will be you and a price for each bag. Put the tags on your bags. I say this for a reason. Now the fun part....Get a seat...upstairs if no rain and suck in the view. The rest is automatic. My must do's. Rent a 4x4. Tour the whole island. Stop at every beach. You do have more than one day to go back to the ones you like. Go to Caneel and have a $25 lunch and you get to use their beach if you like. Bring your own beach chairs and snorkel stuff. You can walk down to Honey Moon from there. Great beach and great snorkle over to the left to Solomon. Hit Skinny Leggs in Coral Bay and ring Howie's bell for all of us. It is near the bar area on a post. Go out the east end and find Vie's. Just ask the folks at Skinny Leggs and they will point you in the right direction. Hope you have the book Feet Fins and Four wheel Drive. It is a must. The Beach Bar will be to your right as you get off the ferry in Cruz Bay. Our favorite. Take a look at the boats from Noahs Little Arks. A great day trip if you have boat experience. They are right in front of the Beach Bar. Pastory Gardens is a great place to watch the sunset and have a nice lunch/dinner or libation or a really neat miniture golf game. The best I have ever played. Our favorite beach is Maho. Right on the road as you wil see and very calm. Francis is number 2 which is right around the corner. Get there early around 9ish to get the best parking place. Take a cooler to the beaches. No need to leave for lunch if you have it with you. You will find the beach you like. Or maybe the beaches you like. Pick up a hitch hiker. They may give you the best advice on what to do and where to go..many stories on that...we have been going back since 1991. This will be our 13th trip on the 25th of Nov...go to http:community.webshots.com/user/billsandieking
to see the 04/05 trips. Please go to Coral bay Jewelers which is straight off the ferry in Cruz Bay and look at the fine stuff that Alice and Tom make. They make a bracelt for every beach. Mention our name, Bill and Sandie from va. It will save you some money by the way....Well there are more things to mention but I'm gonna let you find the treasures that remain...It will be your turn to tell the next first timer your favorites....email me if you have more questions....by the way where are you staying?....God bless...Bill
Kentuckygirl

Post by Kentuckygirl »

Wow Bill! You are full of information! I am taking notes for my first trip in May:) Thanks!
mdcoles1

bill's advice

Post by mdcoles1 »

wow...and this exactly why i love this forum. THANK you so much. :D
ScubaGirl

Post by ScubaGirl »

Right on Bill!!! You Rock!!
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

Hey Bill - I've copied it all into my notes for my trip next May, too! This is great info! Thanks!
Joanne M

Post by Joanne M »

thanks for the great info regarding the taxis at the airport at STT.

We contemplated a private vs a regular and everyone said a regular would be fine but no one stressed to make sure they were going straight to Red Hook.

We have rented the Villa Dream come true through Carribbean Villas.