Tell/teach me about Ipods -buying for upcoming trip

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
PA Girl

Tell/teach me about Ipods -buying for upcoming trip

Post by PA Girl »

I know very little (ok - nothing) about electronic toys.

I was going to purchase a portable dvd player for our Feb trip as a last resort in case our little guy needs to be occupied on the plane.

Hubs is pesting for an Ipod so I thought I would just get one of those instead. (He will use it for mowing grass and I would use it while walking/exercising)

I was going to order a Nano.

Does anyone know if I could copy the little guys dvds onto an Ipod? I would use iTunes for music.
RickG

Post by RickG »

Nano hass a teeny-tiny screen and is more complex to use. DVD players are really simple single use beasties that a little one can understand.

By the way, you break all types for Federal rules by ripping DVDs and putting them on your ipod. Its fun and easy.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

skirting the law? Not I (says the girl that had her first fake ID at 16 and regularly hids banned cigars in her suitcase) :) .....

I will take your advice.

My concern with a portable DVD player is the battery life. I was told that the batteries only last 2 hours +/- between charges.

Now, this may be a silly question but can I plug it in on the plane, is there power source on the arm rest? (I am a book girl while travelling and never needed to worry about such things)
CariBert

Post by CariBert »

Let me add my two cents worth in here. I recently got an iPod Touch, and it is GREAT! It is like the iPhone, except no phone. I can surf the web, watch movies, music videos, check my e-mail, etc. And it is relatively easy to operate. It will serve all of your needs, except maybe mowing the lawn for your hubs. I usually use a lawn mower for that.

Look into it, you'll be surprised.

-Bert
The liver is evil, it must be punished!

Ksea

Post by Ksea »

My son used his portable DVD player a lot! True, the battery only lasts a few hours, but we plugged it in whenever we could. Between that and books, he was well entertained on the plane and in the airports. Now he has the Nano, and will be taking that on our next trip as well. He likes the music videos you can get from itunes for $1.99 each I think as well as the songs.
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

Wait a minute Bert, you mean there is something that an "i" can't do?!?! Excellent wit!

Thru excellent use of my time this morning (when I should be issuing 1009s) I educated myself on battery life, which is much better than I had been told.