Mexico Cops

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
Gizzmo

Mexico Cops

Post by Gizzmo »

We have been going there for years. Just got back and will NEVER go again! The cops have taken over the 307 HWY from Cancun to Tulum. If they see a rental car they will pull you over, take all your money and make it look like they did you a favor! :evil: It was not just us, met two other couples with the same story and another emailed me after we left that they got shook down on the way to the airport! ...Gizzmo
My Avatar is my Corona moment......
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
Coden

Post by Coden »

Gizzmo - thank you for the heads-ups. I am sorry that happened to you and others. I've been reading that the tourists are being picked on in that section of Mexico. Thank goodness no one was hurt.
Coden
Ksea

Post by Ksea »

That's terrible! I've only recently visited Mexico by Cruise Ship, and did not have any problems, but we took taxis instead of renting a car. How much money did they take???
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

That is awful! I am sorry this happened to you. When John goes to Mexico on business he is not allowed to rent a car for just this reason. There are special drivers that take them around. I guess the cops only go after the rental cars. It's such a shame and there really isn't anything you can do about it.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
martini girl

Post by martini girl »

Wow! I just read an article about the same thing happening but it was the western coast of Mexico where all the big-time surfers would go...their tourist business has recently tanked as a result of these rental car robberies. Now it's hit the Cancun area. Scary. How awful for you.
Nic in KC

Post by Nic in KC »

Oh Gizzmo, that's horrible! I'm sorry you had to deal with that on your vacation. We have always heard of that happening and we always hire a driver when we want to be out and about just for that reason. It doesn't seem like they could keep it up forever, but it sounds like it may be getting worse!

Thanks for warning everyone!
Maggy

Post by Maggy »

What a terrible experience. It's one of those things that you think only happens to other people.

I was in Playa del Carmen on a business trip in October (Xcaret a little south of Playa), but we always took taxi within the area and had no problem with that. The only incident on the trip was that one collegue was robbed in a nightclub.

It's really too bad for that area, that you couldn't feel safe in a rental car on a highway.

Thanks for telling us.
Diana2

Post by Diana2 »

That is just TERRIBLE!!! :shock: I'll add that to my list of reasons that I'll NEVER go to Mexico again!! One time was enough for me and I'll never go back. I've tried lots of Caribbean islands but STJ has my heart.
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
Kentuckygirl

Post by Kentuckygirl »

Thanks for the warning Gizzmo! We have been to Mexico numerous times, on both coasts. We have never rented a car there and I don't think we ever will (especially after reading this). We have enjoyed our times there, but we love St. John and the BVIs. We usually have an annual girls' trip in Mexico. Although we have a great time, I would love to move it to St. John. 8)
Image[/url]