Scott Beach

Travel discussion for St. John
b-as-u-r

Scott Beach

Post by b-as-u-r »

Is Scott Beach in Caneel Bay Resort and is it public or private? On my last visit I went to Honeymoon Beach in Caneel Bay Resort but I thought I understood that to be the only public beach and that all others were private to Caneel Bay guests only?
STJ - I "get it"
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

I "think" you can spend the day at Caneel and use any of the beaches. But someone else may be able to say for sure. I do know it is an "adult only" beach.
MLS

Post by MLS »

Caneel Beach in front of the beach restaurant is the only beach you can use if you are not staying at Caneel.
I don't know if that is a formal or informal rule, but I would welcome clarification particularly if there is a way to use the other beaches.
Jumbiegirl

Post by Jumbiegirl »

From what I understand, anyone can visit any beach at Caneel as long as you don't use the beach chairs.
SusanNJ

Post by SusanNJ »

Yes Scotts Beach is for adults only. We just returned from Caneel and technically the Caneel Bay Beach (the main beach near the lobby) is the public beach. However the other beaches can be used but cannot be accessed through the grounds - meaning if you came by, by boat/dingy you can. I guess they make it difficult on purpose. Also as someone previously mentioned, you cannot use the chairs.
jmq

Post by jmq »

I had the same question before we went in April. Read lotsa threads on this topic in tripadvisor STJ forum and came to this conclusion: No worries visiting beaches at Caneel as a daytripper – just be unobtrusive, don’t use their chairs or floaties.

Scott is a big beach so you can easily not intrude on paying guests space. We also had our 13 yr old with us - no problems.

I think they recognize that you may be a future guest and may spend money at restaurant and gift shop. The grounds are nice to walk around.

This is up near the parking area.

Scott Beach is on other side of these rocks

These guys show up at Scott when the Caneel “drink cart” shows up and the “mobile bartender” tosses them the banana peels.

Off the beach, Scott is known for these guys that tend to come around in the afternoons.

When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
Andrea266

Post by Andrea266 »

I go to Honeymoon every few months or so...we park in Caneel's parking lot and walk through the grounds to get there, and we've never had a problem. I think jmq hit it right on...don't be obtrusive, no using the beach chairs, and you should be fine.
MLS

Post by MLS »

Honeymoon, like Trunk, is a terrific beach once the STT daytrippers leave. As Andrea says, it is clearly open to the public by walking to the left from the parking lot. We do so after Sunday brunch (I do miss the smoked fishes).
Caneel beach can be used by guests who have come to eat at the beach restaurant. My question remains about all the other beaches. In the recesses of my mind it seems to me that there is a sign on the path at the north end of the restaurant stating something like hotel quests only past here. The other beaches are a pretty good hike across the lawn. Would you take the hotel jitneys or hoof it?
jmq

Post by jmq »

As a non-guest, NOT taking the jitneys might be considered part of that bit I mentioned as being as unobtrusive as possible.
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide