Childhood favorites/recipes?

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
mbw1024

Childhood favorites/recipes?

Post by mbw1024 »

Thanks to Eric in NJ I was browsing over at Chowhound just now and saw a thread about "recipes only known to your family". It sort of morphed into other childhood food favorites. Curious to hear what others say about this. Reading on Chowhound was cracking me up. So what did you eat growing up and do you still today?

Mine were:
cinnamon toast - buttered toast that my mother sprinkled cinn. and sugar over. DELISH! Can't tell you when I had it last.

soft boiled eggs with toast ripped in pieces - ALWAYS in a coffee cup. YUM! I still can't make it as good today as my Mom did. Some times I go over her house now on a Sat. morning and ask for it ;) It still comes in a coffee cup!

And here's a weird one. We have a family dish called Goop. HA. We still make it today though rarely and I myself have never made it. It's ground beef, tomatoes, egg noodles and a very unhealthy block of Velveeta wedge down in the casserole and baked. Me and my oldest sister always preferred it with ketchup on the side for dipping! LOL Sounds gross, right? But oh so good :)
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

Ok, I'll play! My mom used to make me peanut butter & bacon sandwiches for breakfast! Toasted bread, butter on one side, peanut butter on the other side, covered with bacon & cut in half! I know this sounds gross, but it's extra yummy! I had one yesterday, as a matter of fact! :D

Also, waffles or pancakes with peanut butter & maple syrup.

Am I a peanut butter addict? You bet! :D
augie

Post by augie »

How timely.

A friend of mine brought me some fresh collard greens from his garden. I had not had any in years, but we ate them all the time when I was growing up, so I cooked up a pot of them, along with some skillet cornbread to supplement last night's main course (chicken, potatoes, carrots, and garlic cloves roasted in the clay cooker).

I was still full when I woke up this morning!
Come see us!
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

I have read about PB and bacon alot but that one alluded me as a child - thank GOD!
California Girl

Oh, Mary Beth! You don't know what you're missing! I know it's not a South Beach recipe, but you really should give it a go! :D
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

Peanut butter and bacon is on my top 10 list of all time favorite foods. It has to be on toasted white bread. Yummmmm
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

I love PB! Try a scoop in your hot oatmeal! YUM!
Eric in NJ

Post by Eric in NJ »

Glad you like Chowhound. Guess I'll throw in some of the weird things we ate growing up. I was raised by a single mom who was a factory worker so we didn't have much money. Two items I recall with hot dogs was either cut up and cooked in with Pork and Beans or Scrambled eggs. I haven't eaten either since. One I still eat is Tuna Noodles. You just make up a batch of tuna as you would for sandwiches and throw in hot cooked pasta (usually shells) and mix it up and eat while still warm. My favorite odd ball meal is still Campbell's Tomato soup and a peanut butter & jelly sandwich...makes my wife cringe :)
Eric in NJ

You never know where you're going till you get there.
Eric in NJ

Post by Eric in NJ »

Oh and Mary Beth, I still eat soft boiled or poached eggs with ripped up toast in a cup. Must be a Joisy thing LOL!!
Eric in NJ

You never know where you're going till you get there.
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

Mine are bean hash browned hambbuger and a cal of pork and beans. Also big suasage casarole, brats cut into chunks potatoes and carotts and cream of mushroom soup made that one last week.
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

Eric in NJ wrote:Oh and Mary Beth, I still eat soft boiled or poached eggs with ripped up toast in a cup. Must be a Joisy thing LOL!!
HA-maybe it is!

Tomato soup and a grilled cheese I can see but with PB&J :roll:

Used to always have a cold glass of milk with a tuna sandwich. Only one in my family to do so - they insist I'm adopted!
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

I used to eat those soft boiled eggs with ripped up toast too…we called them higgeley piggeley eggs (don’t ask me why!)

My favorite meal as a kid was spaghetti and meatballs with tomato sauce. I still like that meal, but with turkey meatballs instead of beef.

It’s funny but most of my childhood food memories are of the foods I hated to eat! I was a very stubborn child and would go to bed straight from the dinner table rather than eat something I did not want. Things I hated:

Hot dogs and beans, with brown bread from a can. Gag-tastic.

Hamburgers. Yuck, yuck, yuck!

This awful casserole consisting of browned hamburger meat, summer squash, zucchini, and stewed tomatoes. I thought my mother made up this not-so-tasty concoction, but in a conversation with my co-worker some years ago, I discovered that this dish was her all time least favorite dinner also! So, it must have been published somewhere.

American chop suey. BLEECH!

Macaroni and cheese. Homemade tasted like wax to me. From the box, forget it. I would not eat that ever! (Of course, now homemade macaroni and cheese is one of my standby side dishes!)

Anything pork. I hated pork with a passion and flat out refused to eat it, in any way, shape, or form. I still don’t eat pork except for bacon. (bizarre, I know)

Chicken and rice casserole. You know, the one with the cream of mushroom soup in it? My mother made this ALL. THE. TIME!! I hated it. Just completely hated it.

Beef stew. I would eat the carrots and the parsnips out of the pot, but nothing else. That was always an off to bed early meal.

The funny thing is that I really loved vegetables and fish. I would always eat whatever vegetables and fish I could get—it was the meaty stuff that I could not stand (except for the above mentioned meatballs in tomato sauce).
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

Another cinammon toast girl chimming in! Mine was accompanied by hot chocolate made with real milk and Hershey's syrup.

To this day, I am surprised that my mom took the time to make the hot chocolate on the stove each morning.

Another meal was boil in bag turkey "circles" in gravy served over Minute Rice.

While I didn't eat soft boiled eggs, everyone else always ate them with torn toast - never cut, always torn.

My dad was infamous for his steak and salad Sundays.

The steak was absolutely the cheapest he could find and it was cooked to shoe leather. The salad consisted of chopped iceberg lettuce and tomato with about a gallon of red wine vinegar, 1/2 pound of black pepper and a splash of vegetable oil.

I hated it, we all did, but no one dared say a word. I avoid black pepper (on its own) to this day.
Nic in KC

Post by Nic in KC »

Fun post!

Eric-we did the hot dogs cut up in scrambled eggs with velveeta too. I hated it!! However, just last week I craved it so bad I had to fix it and it tasted great. My husband thought I was nuts!

We had cinnamon toast too and I still fix it once a great while.

I'm not sure on the pb and bacon thing ladies. I might take your word for it.

MB-now I want oatmeal with pb in it!!

Our favorite snack was graham crackers with store bought icing on them. Yum! Haven't had that in years!
California Girl

X - I can't believe I found another PB & bacon person! People just don't understand how good this weird sounding combination is!

And Nic - My husband still comes home with frosting and graham crackers! LOL!