Childhood favorites/recipes?

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
jayseadee

Post by jayseadee »

liamsaunt wrote:
Hot dogs and beans, with brown bread from a can. Gag-tastic.

American chop suey. BLEECH!
We had Hot dogs and beans with brown bread almost every Saturday night - I didn't like it much then, but I do enjoy it now - not every Saturday though.

American Chop Suey - YUM.

My eggs came "in a basket"; mom would cut out some of the middle of a piece of white bread and drop the egg in.

My weirdest meal was scrambled eggs with Grape jelly; the eggs turned green. No one else in my family ate them that way, but it was the only way I would - don't touch grape jelly much anymore.

I still cook most of what my mother made - both Italian and Middle Eastern.

About the only think I didn't eat then and still don't eat now is Oatmeal. Camp counselor forced me to eat it once - boy did she regret it
:lol: :lol:
janet
Ksea

Post by Ksea »

Janet, we called those eggs "bulls eyes". DJ and I still like those. My favotite childhood food would have to be the fried apples my grandmother made with green apples, water and sugar. Goes good with a bulls eye too! Oh and that chocolate milk the milk man used to deliver :)
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

My mom made those eggs, too! We called them "an egg with a hole in the middle". Now and then I still have to have one, even though I mostly hate eggs. :D
sea-nile

Post by sea-nile »

My mother isn't a great cook, but memories of my Grandma's cooking makes my mouth water. She made a homemade carrot cake that was to die for!
I blame all my extra bulges on her even though she died 20 years ago!
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

Here is another really weird one. Fried egg sandwich with peanut butter. My mom would make those for us and put raw onion on hers :roll:
sea-nile

Post by sea-nile »

I hate to admit this, but my mom used to make me butter and sugar sandwiches on white bread for lunch and I loved them! YUK!!!
Coden

Post by Coden »

My moms homemade french fries. They were perfectly cut and perfectly cooked. She made them on the Friday nights when we had steak.

My mom was a very good cook, from homemade biscuits, fried apples, gravy, fried chicken, perfect roasts and hams and lots of good veggies. And the Best bacon wrapped hamburgers you'd ever have in your life. Or what we used to call Poor Mans Steak. We always had a baked potato with those.

But every now and then she'd cook something funky like chop suey or chow-mein or egg fu yung....those were the nights that I went to bed early. :lol: I love Chinese food now!

The other thing I miss is my moms salmon patties. We had a deal. She would come over and make the salmon patties and I would make the mashed potatoes, peas, white gravy and homemade biscuits. I can't stand to make salmon patties and then eat them. She's been gone for 9 years now and I've only made them twice since then. I need to do it again before I forget. :)
Coden
Bug

Post by Bug »

Peanut Butter Potatoe Candy ~ You boil potatoes and then mash them with confectioners suger until thick as heck. Spread this out on way paper. Cover with peanut butter and roll into a log. When sliced they look like pinwheels. YUM!!!

Pretzel Soup ~ Heat milk (whole milk of course), throw in a hunk of butter and crushed up pretzels. Easy as that :wink:

Pot Pie ~ Mix flour, butter, & eggs. Roll out with rolling pin. Cut into squares and put in pot of boiling chicken broth. DOUBLE YUMMY!

Can you all tell that I am PA Dutch????? Starch, Starch and more Starch

XOXO
Bug
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

After talking about it yesterday, had to make the oatmeal with PB this morning. Crunchy PB today. YUM!

PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

Bug - I have a container of those cookies in my cupboard RIGHT NOW! We call them flitch. I don't care for them but hubs loves them so my grandmother makes them for me.

What county PA Dutch are you - Schylkill or Berks?
Bug

Post by Bug »

PA Girl ~ Berks! How about you???

XOXO
Bug
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

Tri-Walley - grew up partically on the Northumberland/Schylkill line.
augie

Post by augie »

Bug - how is Reading/Temple these days?

My friend in Temple, who grew up nearby (went to Oley High?) is also a meat and potatoes kind of guy..
Come see us!
Kentuckygirl

Post by Kentuckygirl »

Fun topic :D
I loved Italian food growing up and still do! I still make my Mom's homemade spaghetti sauce and her spinach lasagna. Yum!

I never cared for those creamed soup, chicken and rice dishes, but we had them quite a bit. The meal that I really hated growing up was liver, beets, breaded tomatoes and canned spinach. Yuck! It was all of the worst things I could think of at once ... and I had to be a member of the "clean plate club"! I'm going to make myself sick thinking about it! :x

On a yummier note, for all of you peanut butter lovers. Have you ever grilled your PB&J? The peanut butter gets all melty. It's a great alternative to the traditional version.
Image[/url]
LysaC

Post by LysaC »

I LOVE this thread- Thanks MB!

Peanut Butter & Potato Chip Sandwich- preferable a Lays potato chip and it must be accompanied by a glass of milk!

Butter & Sugar on White Bread- I second this one. We didn't have a lot of money growing up so this was a snakc or a dessert. We also dipped carrots in sugar.

Frozen Cool Whip- it's a totally weird ice creamy treat that my grammy did for us. I still do this today!

Pan-Fried Polish Loaf & Ketchup Sandwich- another one from Gram.

My mum's side is Polish so we also ate (and still eat) a lot of things involving cabbage and sausage. Not the typical food fare for a five year old but I loved (and still love) it.

My husband's mum used to make Sweet & Sour Bananas- sliced lengthwise and sprinkled with lemon juice and sugar. Totally weird to me!