Trip report to Thailand January 2008

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
Maggy

Trip report to Thailand January 2008

Post by Maggy »

Went to Thailand in January and we stayed in Khao Lak. Khao Lak is situated on the west coast an hour north of Phuket, and was very badly damaged in the tsunami in dec 2004. The overall impression now three years later is that very much is rebuilt, but the signs were still there if you looked closer.

Tsunami destroyed resort
Khao Lak beach

Our resort was just opened after a total rebuilding. It was really nice but not totally finished. We were overall satisfied, even if some of the things did not work properly and all the routins had not come into place. As a compensation for this the hotel offered a buffe dinner for free to all guests, every night, which was quite good, the times we ate there. Food is so cheap in Thailand, so going out and eat, is a true pleasure. And almost everything taste really good also.

Emerald Beach resort
A 3 USD Thai dish

We spent the days just relaxing in the sun, reading good books and swimming. Found a nice place down the beach, where a local couple offered sunbeds for free, but had a small hut where they sold beer (USD 1.5), soft drinks (50c) and fruit (50c). This place offered peace and quite and you could listen to the sound of the waves instead of playing children over at the resort. This place became our little haven and the Thai couple were the cutest, nicest people.

One day we wnt to on a boat trip to Similan Islands, which is about 1,5 hour with speed boat from the coast. It's a national park with 9 islands, and one of Jaque Cousteaus favorite diving places. We took a daytrip and snorkeled and dived there, and had some time on the beautiful beach. Here the sand is soft and white and the water fantastic.

I did two dives which were quite different from the Caribbean dives I have done, especially when it comes to the life underwater. I did see some familiar fishes, but also so many new species in the most vibrant colors. Our camera can't take photos deeper than 10 ft, so all pictures are taken during snorkeling.

Redtailed Butterflyfish

Moorish Idol

Orange-lined Triggerfish

Bumpheaded Uniconfish

Nemos (Clownfish)

Overall Thailand offers a really nice spot to vacation. It's always warm and the Thai people are very friendly. Almost everything is very cheap, so you don't have to look at the prices on a menu, you just order what you want. A typical Thai dish, like "Chicken Cashew" or "Shrimp Sweet and Sour" is between 3-5 USD. The beaches are nice, but the sand is not that St John white. They are darker and more yellow/brown sand and the water is greener. But it was good enough for a week of total relaxation and recharching the batteries.

Khao Lak Beach boulders

Inside our room

Elephant walking by

Link to more photos below.

I'll be happy to answer any question you may have.
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

those are some cool pic's - thanks for sharing!
Nic in KC

Post by Nic in KC »

Great pictures! Thanks for sharing! Thailand is on the short list of places we want to visit. Glad you had a relaxing trip!

Nicolle
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

Great report thanks would like to go but such a long plane ride
Maggy

Post by Maggy »

Waterguy, I know it's just as far as it can get for you. It's like going to Australia or New Zealand for us.
But we have come across some Americans in Thailand anyway. I guess the globe is not that big anymore.
sea-nile

Post by sea-nile »

Looks fantastic!
I hope that I can go someday, long plane ride or not.
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Looks wonderful! I'd love to visit someday.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
linne

Post by linne »

Hello Maggy!

Thank you for your trip report and the very great pictures. We were in Thailand before the tsunami and found the snorkelling very good, especially on Phi Phi Islands, which is not so far away from Khao Lak. I was wondering if the tsunami in any way has spoiled the coral reef?

I envy you that you are able to dive. If I were younger I would have tried it too. Must be fantastic.

Linne
verjoy

Lovely

Post by verjoy »

So beautiful. The Khao Lok area looks a little like Virgin Gorda with all the boulders on the beach. I have been to Bangkok twice, but never to the beaches.

The Thai people are so sweet and welcoming. Thanks for posting. :)
Maggy

Post by Maggy »

Verjoy - as a matter of fact, the first time I came to Virgin Gorda, I thought it looked like the boulders in Similan Islands. They are larger there than in Khao Lak, but even Khao Lak reminds me of the VG boulders.

The beach and water are much more beautiful in Virgin Gorda than Khao Lak. Similan Islands are more like VG when it comes to the color of sand and water.

I have not made it to Bangkok yet, but all people say it's a fascinating city.
RickG

Post by RickG »

Very cool, thanks so much for posting. I'm hungry!!!

I've been to Thailand a few times for work, but just two days and a night on Phuket. I'd like to get back and take my lady.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
Maggy

Post by Maggy »

Rick, thanks! You should take your lady to Thailand. She would really enjoy it.

When is you trip report to Europe coming? I have been waiting for it :) . Want to hear about Prague for instance. Or have I missed it?

Prague is a city I haven't been able to visit sofar, but everyone seems to like it. I just have to go there as it's not very far from Scandinavia. So many places and so little time :lol: .

BTW - hope your tooth is getting better. I know what you are going through.
Tracy in WI

Post by Tracy in WI »

Thanks for the report Maggy! I was in Thailand, Bangkok and Phuket, for a short visit a long time ago (1991) and really enjoyed it. The culture was amazing and the beach scenery just beautiful. I rememeber the lodging and meals were so inexpensive back then as well.

I am glad to see some normalcy returning to the lives of the people there. I can not imagine what it was like a few years ago.

Thanks for the report.

Tracy
Tracy, Seaside Properties at Grande Bay