Evidently, I can't read!?!

Travel discussion for St. John
NoWorriesMom

Evidently, I can't read!?!

Post by NoWorriesMom »

Hi! I'm debating private taxi or just grab one when we arrive at the airport. Would you VI smarties suggest a private taxi after a particularly long day of travel or will winging it not be that bad? (Our first flight leaves at 2 AM and we'll be happy but beat when we finally arrive at about 2PM!!! That's cheap tickets for you...) Also, I guess I can't read the taxi price tables because while I think I've got the price for a taxi to Red Hook down (9$ per person plus bag fee???) I can't figure what it costs to get to the CA ferry. :oops: Thanks for any help!!!
PA Girl

depends

Post by PA Girl »

I think the "worthwhile factor" depends entirely on your own cost versus comfort/tolerance factor.

I have family members that would rather walk to the ferry dock on their knuckles than spend one cent more on a private taxi. There is absolutely nothing that would deter them for selecting the least expensive option.

Others (namely this poster) thinks the extra cash is more well spent at the end of a travel day.

The number in your travelling party may also bring the cost of a private taxi to a level comparable with a regular taxi.
promoguy

Post by promoguy »

We have never used a private taxi to either red hook or CA ferry. There are lots of taxis and they will get you to where you want to go with a minimum of effort.

Yes, sometimes they do make a stop along the way to drop people off, but consider that a free tour.
PA Girl

clarrification

Post by PA Girl »

Opps, my post should have read "money well spent"
Splasher54

Private taxi

Post by Splasher54 »

We used a private taxi last year and it was well worth it. Have booked the same taxi for our trip this year (Christopher Taxi) and the private water taxi. After doing the regular ferry last year, will always opt for this option. I want no hassle on vacation and now I'm old enough that I willing to indulge myself!
Kentuckygirl

Post by Kentuckygirl »

Splasher,
Who did you use for the private water taxi? Do they have a website? Thanks!
NoWorriesMom

Post by NoWorriesMom »

Thanks for the info you three (promoguy, PAgirl and slasher). We've decided to wing it! One last question please: archived posts have mentioned that the longer ferry ride (from CA versus Red HOok) is fun as long as the water is on the calm side. Can you see the ocean from the airport in order to make that decision? Thanks thanks thanks, we can't wait a minute longer to go........................
RickG

Post by RickG »

NoWorriesMom, my kids love the ferry ride from CA vs. Red Hook when the timing is right. It gets you in the mood faster.

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/122538 ... 2117hQvlqN

See you on Francis Bay Sunday 11/19!

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
NoWorriesMom

to rickG

Post by NoWorriesMom »

great picture, sent you a message.
Splasher54

Splasher54

Post by Splasher54 »

We used Dohm's Water taxi and they were great. Christopher's was waiting for us on S. Thomas and took us to Charlotte Amalie for shopping. He took two of the guys to the airport and hooked them up with a porter who put our bags in a safe place, brought the guys back to meet us to shop and then met us again to get us back to the airport in plenty of time. Everything was great! Highly recommend both businesses.
Kentuckygirl

Post by Kentuckygirl »

Thanks Splasher. Sounds like a great way to go!
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

I will throw in a plug for Christopher taxi. Super-friendly, nice and clean vehicles, handles all the baggage

The first time we used Christopher, our flight arrived early, early enough I was worried that we would be left waiting. Christopher was already at the baggage area.

The second time we were travelling with a four-month old, which resulted in carseat issues and extra baggage. To top it off, our luggage was diverted to an out of the way area of the airport. The driver circled around and met us right at the curb, saving us the struggle of lugging all the bags back through the packed airport.

I don't know if Christopher has a website but you can find info at watertaxi-vi.com
NoWorriesMom

Thanks

Post by NoWorriesMom »

Thanks everybody; we're all set and can't wait can't wait!