Meat question for all you good cooks

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
PA Girl

Meat question for all you good cooks

Post by PA Girl »

This may be a silly question but it pertains to something I haven't tried so bare with me -

We are taking a cooler in three weeks. I am planning and packing meats.

I have a recipe for flank steak that calls for an all day soak in marinade.

Do you think it would be ok for me to mix the marinade and vac pack the marinade and meat together and then freeze immediately?

My thinking is that it will marinade as it thaws.
My concern is that it will over-flavor the meat.
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

yes you can but I'll let the marenade sit for 24 hours then dump it out and just freeze the meat.
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Flank steak can take a marinade for a long time. I would put the steak in the marinade, freeze it, and then vacuum seal it. I don't know what kind of vacuum sealer you have, but if I tried to seal it before freezing the marinade to a solid, mine would suck all the liquid up and into the machine (it's a foodsaver).
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

Good point about the freezing. I am going to borrow my friend's food saver. I was going to have the butcher do the meat (plain) but I got this current idea when reviewing my recipes. This particular one calls for ginger and I thought to myself "will I find ginger at Starfish....? Why not make it ahead of time?"
augie

Post by augie »

Some of the places where you can go and prepare meals to freeze, then thaw and cook later has the marinade with the meat before freezing, so I'd say it's OK, especially with flank steak.

liamsaunt, I have a foodsaver also. If I have liquid I just wait until right before it gets sucked out of the bag and into the unit and hit the button that finishes right then. I don't recall if it says pause, or cancel, or finish, because I don't use it very often, but I have used it successfully to either freeze something with liquid or to keep from crushing bread that I'm freezing.
Come see us!
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

The 2 reasons I like to get rid of the marenade is 1 that the salt contant lowers the freezing temp. so it will thaw quicker and 2 eeven though those vacum sealer bages are strong I could just see if it thawed and broke open.
RickG

Post by RickG »

I'm with waterguy on this - marinate and then freeze the marinated meat without marinate. We have a hard core vacuum sealer, but it just dies on anything liquid.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI