Holiday Inn St Thomas

Travel discussion for St. John
canucknyc

Holiday Inn St Thomas

Post by canucknyc »

Ok... so we are staying at the Holiday Inn for our one night in St Thomas. I am not entirely sure where it is though... is it in Charlotte Amalie, close to Frenchtown? If someone could help me pinpoint it on a map, I'd be so grateful!
Now, if it's close to Frenchtown, would it be easier to go someplace there for dinner? Are there any places within an easy walk, or is safety an issue? A lot of questions, I know, but I'd really appreciate your help!
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

I saw this hotel when I was getting on the Caneel Ferry which is in CA. It's right across from the water if I have the right place.
Not sure if that was much help ;)
Bassman

Post by Bassman »

The Holiday Inn is on Veterans Drive along the water front in CA. The ferry / sea plane terninal is almost across the street. You can walk to the Green House or other restaurants in that area. Stick to walking along Veterans Drive for safety. It's well lit at night. I'm not sure if Frenchtown is walkable. It's in the opposite direction from Green House. If you check the St. Thomas map on this site, look just to the left of the shaded area marked CA (downtown) and you'll see the No. 15 in a green marker. That's the Holiday Inn.
canucknyc

Post by canucknyc »

Thank you! So nice to see it on an actual map lol. So is it the general consensus that walking to the Green House is safe as well as do-able? Thanks for the help Bassman and Mary Beth!
Bassman

Post by Bassman »

My wife and I stayed at the Holiday Inn for a long weekend Thanksgiving 2004. We walked to the Green House at least one night. She's got problems with her hip and knee joints so she can't walk too far. And if you're not out real late, like past midnight, it should be safe to walk.
canucknyc

Post by canucknyc »

Great! Ok now I can stop obsessing about that portion of the trip... hahahaha :mrgreen:
ScubaGirl

Post by ScubaGirl »

Frenchtown is also walkable.

If you want a neat place for breakfast, rather than an expensive one at the hotel, try the Frenchtown Deli. It's a really neat little place where locals hang out. Great coffee, and great Breaky. It's just past the McDonalds( which has to be the worst McDonalds in the entire world!)
canucknyc

Post by canucknyc »

Thanks for the tip! Boy, you guys sure are a wealth of knowledge!
nothintolose

Post by nothintolose »

Frenchtown is definitely walkable (at night as well).

We have stayed at that Holiday Inn twice. If you didn't reserve a waterfront view, I recommend it. To us, it's worth the extra $$.

nothintolose

p.s. If you have any other questions, feel free to email me. We were last there in July 2005 for two nights before heading over to STJ.
2catlimit

Post by 2catlimit »

Hey There,
I may be wrong, so don't hold me to this, but I remember talking to someone who, I believe stayed at that Holiday Inn. They said something about it being next to a baseball/softball? field on one side. Great for watching a game from your room, but bright lights at night. You may want to check on it in relation to your room. If it's not that hotel, just ignore this. I'll just chalk that conversation up as one of those things you think really happened, but it was just the Painkillers talking :shock: .
Kathy Henion
nothintolose

Post by nothintolose »

2catlimit - that was probably me - or at least I know I have pointed out that our first time there, we were on the side of the hotel that faced a baseball diamond (it also happened to be having some world series of something when we were there).

That's why I suggested the harbor view. The harbor view was an island view the other was just of being in a city.

nothintolose
canucknyc

Post by canucknyc »

Hey thanks for the tips. I didn't specify what type of room I wanted, but I think I will call and see about reserving a harbor view one. I always travel with an eye mask and earplugs for sleeping though, so I won't stress about it!
Jerseyboy

Post by Jerseyboy »

Just a few comments:
- I think the field is on the west side of the hotel
- Frenchtown also has a huge softball field with lights so if there's a game, it makes walking in that part of Frenchtown safer due to all the people and the bright lights.
- Don't know if the walk from the hotel to Frenchtown at night is safe though, so I can't comment on it
- Craig and Sally's in Frenchtown was good but expensive, nice wine list but long wait. Haven't been there in a few years though.
- The other McD's closer to the hospital is probably just as bad with some customers basically ignoring the fact that there's a line. That was the only time we ate fast food in STT.
RonUSVI

Post by RonUSVI »

I believe Frenchtown is closer to the HI than the Greenhouse. Better food choices as well.(Alexander's Bella Blu, Epernay, Hook, Line, and Sinker, Craig and Sally's, Tuscan Grill, Margarita Phil's, and Oceana) It should be pretty safe. I always see tourists traveling back and forth.

There is a new McD's by the old one over by the hospital, but I doubt the employees are any better.
RL 8)
canucknyc

Post by canucknyc »

Thanks for the Frenchtown suggestions. Are any of those places kid-friendly? We'll have an infant and possibly a toddler with us. I mean other than McD's - I refuse to eat there, no matter where I am :? Thanks!