California - Central Coast Advice Needed

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
Rebubula

California - Central Coast Advice Needed

Post by Rebubula »

Hi,

After 5 return trips to St John, I am sorry to say that we will not be returning this year. No reason in particular, just looking to try something different. So..we are going to California.
We are driving Santa Cruz to LA. We have family in LA so we are covered there, but are looking for advice for places to stay mostly. Restaurants or things we should not miss are also welcomed!
Here is our very early trip thoughts: 2 nights Santa Cruz, 2 nights Pacific Grove - anyone heard of or stayed at Seven Gables Inn? 2 nights in Cambria - Moonstone Landing? And vineyards we should hit? and then head to LA.
Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

I can't offer much help, but here are a few places you might like to check out on your drive to L.A.

1. Hearst Castle
2. Pismo Beach/Morro Bay
3. Solvang
4. The Madonna Inn (San Luis Obispo) Great stop for lunch or dinner - and check out the Men's room, it's very special! :shock:

jmq

Post by jmq »

Isnt wine country basically north/NE of the Bay area, which is at least 100 mi north of Santa Cruz? That would make for a long daytrip. Santa Cruz is a nice beach town, but also consider doing the urban thing by staying in the great city of San Francisco instead and be closer for that day trip to the wine country before going on down the coast.
Santa Barbara is also beautiful and might be worth a stop on your way down to LA.
Got to love driving the Pacific Coast Highway...
Last edited by jmq on Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

jmq wrote:Isnt wine country basically north/NE of the Bay area, which is at least 100 mi north of Santa Cruz?
Didn't you see Sideways? ;)
Rebubula

Post by Rebubula »

Thanks for the replies thus far.
CA Girl - we have 2 of the 4 listed, will check out the other 2 you mention.
And from what I have read Paso Robles has numerous (80+) vineyards?
Forgot, Santa Barbara is on the list too.
We have already been to San Fran and are somewhat limited with time. Rather than rushing and seeing a lot, we thought we would narrow it down and take our time. There is a marathon I would like to do (in this lifetime) in San Fran, so I know we will be back.
And, I need to rent Sideways myself now!
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

There are quite a number of wineries in the Paso Robles area, too :D

edit: Oops! We must've been posting at the same time! :D
jmq

Post by jmq »

That’s great that you can save SF for another time.

I was thinking Napa/Sonoma. Forgot about the Central Coast wine country (Paso Robles/Santa Ynez Valley) and how nice that looked in Sideways. Sounds like a click to NetFlix or a trip to Blockbuster will be needed for your trip planning.
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
augie

Post by augie »

We did a San Diego to Seattle 10 day whirlwind trip last summer.

If you travel on 101 south towards LA, there is a great little roadside diner (I try and find non-chain places to eat when we can on the road) in Santa Maria called Pappy's restaurant. Try the tri-tip steak sandwich, a local favorite.

There was a little roadside stand across the street selling the biggest, reddest, sweetest strawberries I've ever had!

If we had been going anywhere that I could have stored them I would have bought a flat of them!
Come see us!
Chet

Re: California - Central Coast Advice Needed

Post by Chet »

...2 nights Santa Cruz
1/2 day at Steamer Lane. If the swell is up, walk out to the point and watch the action on Third Reef. And remember, it is nearly impossible to sideslip a semi-hybrid orbulator.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

[/url]