New Cruise Ship Dock?

Travel discussion for St. John
Coden

New Cruise Ship Dock?

Post by Coden »

Isn't there a new cruise ship dock called Crown Point or something like that?

If so, how long does it take to get from Crown Point to Red Hook, for the ferry to STJ?

Or, would it be better for a cruise passenger docking at Crown Point to go to Charlotte Amalie and take the Charlotte Amalie ferry? How long of a trip is it from the new dock to Charlotte Amalie?

Thnx bunches!!!
Coden
ScubaGirl

Post by ScubaGirl »

The new Cruise dock is right beside Crown Bay Marina, which is in between Frenchtown and the airport. So a 2 minute taxi ride to the CA Ferry dock. It (Crown Point, as you called it) is much closer than the other Cruise dock is to Red Hook, and closer to the CA ferry dock than the other Cruise dock.

Does that make everything as clear as mud?
Coden

Post by Coden »

Great! Glad to read that it is closer to both ferries.

Thanks for helping me out!! :)
Coden
tjwgrr

Re: New Cruise Ship Dock?

Post by tjwgrr »

Crown Bay is not a "new" cruise ship dock. What's new is the Crown Bay Carnival Center, a commercial facility that will offer various amenities like shops, restaurants, etc.

From what I've read there's not really any tenants occupying the new center yet. Looks nice though.

Coden wrote:Isn't there a new cruise ship dock called Crown Point or something like that?

If so, how long does it take to get from Crown Point to Red Hook, for the ferry to STJ?

Or, would it be better for a cruise passenger docking at Crown Point to go to Charlotte Amalie and take the Charlotte Amalie ferry? How long of a trip is it from the new dock to Charlotte Amalie?

Thnx bunches!!!
StJohnRuth

Crown Bay

Post by StJohnRuth »

I was at Crown Bay on Thursday meeting relatives who came in for the day on a cruise ship. Crown Bay is in between downtown and the airport. It is much closer to the downtown CA ferry than Red Hook. There were five ships in that day and traffic in town was pretty bad. To get to the Red Hook ferry could take quite a bit longer than from the Havensight dock if the traffic is as bad as it was the day I was there. It would be fairly equal to coming from the airport.

-Ruth
- Ruth, St. John Spice
Coden

Post by Coden »

Thanks for your help about Crown Bay. We've just booked a 10 Day Caribbean cruise for March and St. Thomas is one of our stops. I wasn't sure about Crown Bay and how it correlated to the ferries to STJ.

Our other stops are Antigua, St. Lucia, Grenada and Martinque!! I can't wait to see the Pitons!!!

Thanks again!!
Coden
RonUSVI

Post by RonUSVI »

I have been recommending that folks from the Crown Bay dock, that don't want to deal with the traffic, to jump on the Water Island ferry right there, and go over to Water Island. Honeymoon Beach on WI is quite an experience!
RL 8)
Coden

Post by Coden »

Thank You, Ron!! I've copied your suggestion and sent it to my friends who are traveling with us, as it sounds Lovely!!!

We are also thinking about doing Black Beards Castle. What are you views on that?
Coden
Bandit

Post by Bandit »

Coden wrote:Thank You, Ron!!
We are also thinking about doing Black Beards Castle. What are your views on that?
Yes Ron, tell us about "your" views... :lol:
RonUSVI

Post by RonUSVI »

The folks at Blackbeard's have prepared quite a tour and it only gets better. They have several homes turned into museums, good stories as well as loads of antiques to see. Well worth the tour!
RL 8)