Real ID

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
RickG

Real ID

Post by RickG »

I'm still monitoring the Real ID situation. This was originally on topic since there are at least 5 states that will no longer have their drivers' licenses accepted for DHS identification purposes, including air travel. This was all covered sufficiently in http://www.virgin-islands-on-line.com/f ... php?t=5796

I wanted to add some more privacy compulsive links and comments here. I do a lot of work in electronic privacy and its painful how far behind the EU we are. In the US, commercial companies can own data about citizens. In the EU, the citizen owns that data. The current Real ID plan allows use of the data by non-governmental agencies and does not provide for any privacy of the data.

The Electronic Privacy Information Center (EPIC) is a privately funded public interest research center. Here's a link to their site where they address the entirety of the national id card problem, from their perspective. http://epic.org/privacy/id-cards/

I'm not as knee jerk negative on national id cards. I say, let the Federal Government put them in place and pay for them, with the proper privacy legislation. That's not happening.

I promise I'm not an obsessive/compulsive paranoid. This is just interesting reading for those who care.

Cheers, RickG
[2 miles from the George H. Busch Center for National Intelligence, aluminum foil hat firmly in place]
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
RickG

Post by RickG »

wishwewerethere wrote:Does anyone know the deal on what has to be done to get a passport with your married name on it?

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

I have searched online and it is a bit confusing. Like, if you got your passport a year prior to marriage it was easier than if not?
Hey, Sweet Christine dealt with that when she divested her under performing husband. You send in your passport with proof of name change. It used to be that they would put an annotation in the last page as to the name change. Based on some new info, it looks like they may issue a new passport now.

http://travel.state.gov/passport/fri/Ch ... e_851.html

Have fun!!

Cheers, RickG
augie

Post by augie »

Rick, I'm with you on the national ID.

Great idea - if done correctly and funded by the mandating agency.

And since it's happening amidst the noise of an election year, it will be easy to push through without receiving it's fair share of scrutiny in the press, so it will be invisible to most folks until it bites them in the butt.

Or maybe I'm just a pessimist today...
Come see us!
RickG

Post by RickG »

augie wrote:Or maybe I'm just a pessimist today...
I'll be the pessimist tomorrow - Virginia Presidential primary day.

Cheers, RickG
traveler22

Post by traveler22 »

New Jersey has a new drivers license witha bar code on it and also is based on a point system of identification such as 1pt for drivers license, 3 pts for a birth cert. etc and we needed 8 pts. It took more id's to get my drivers license renewed that to get my passport! I had to come up with my birth certificate, social security card, old drivers license, passport!
Go figure?
RickG

Post by RickG »

No kidding. My daughter's learner's permit required four forms of id, one of which was a passport!

Cheers, RickG
sherban

Post by sherban »

I'm pretty sure that Virginia got burned for issuing drivers liscenses to terrorists after the 9/11 atttack. I have extended family who works for one of the State offices in VA...pretty sure they had to implement some newpolicies to cover their failures. I lived in the Roanoke area for ten years...loved it there...tooka few grad courses at VA Tech, not bad, but doesn't compare to GA Tech,,, :twisted: just stirring it up a little...

We have up to date passports and I'm planning to get them for my kids soon.
verjoy

Real ID fiasco

Post by verjoy »

Rick-
Thanks for the heads up on the Real ID on the prior thread. We wouldn't have known there was a problem otherwise.

Saturday I mentioned it to our Son - none of his family has passports. He works for State of MO and checked it out immediately. They had just released a statement that MO has filed for an extension and intends to comply. So that takes care of our June trip.

I don't think you are being paranoid, just common sense. Something better needs to be done about the ID.

BTW we lived in NO VA '75-'79... Ah, the Carter years... Farmers driving their tractors up I95 at rush hour and tearing up the mall in protest... Elsberg followers
splashing blood around at the shopping mall in the Pentagon. Do they still do that? I bet it's even worse now. You have my sympathy.

Anyway, thanks again.
RickG

Post by RickG »

verjoy, we have plenty of blood letting up here these days. I think people have gotten complacent and accustomed to the assault on their civil liberties. But, some of my customers have taken down the concrete blast barriers around their building. The DC area is back to "normal" after the 9/11 backlash.

Cheers, RickG