Riu / Puerto Plata

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
pipanale

Riu / Puerto Plata

Post by pipanale »

Anyone have any experience either at a RIU resort or Puerto Plata, DR?

We kinda want to go away in early April...3 of us, the Mrs and the 5-year old (who, by the way has been behaving terribly lately and making us wish we'd sold her to the circus last weekend...I'm serious)

I found that we can go away for 5 days, air and resort (all-inclusive) from Raleigh for under $2000. Quite a bargain if you ask me. Our options are a 5-day cruise on a beaten-down Carnival ship our of Jacksonville or a trip on NCL out of Charleston that we really don't want to take.

Not to get serious, but we have yet to really vacation with our daughter (she'll be 6 in May (Sad, I know)) and we really think it's about time that we go away as a family and not leave her in my parent's hands while we laze away on StJ or on some other beach. We really want to go away and have a good time, but haven't had a lot of success as a group. Our last trip to Myrtle Beach was an epic disaster. I mean, it was horrible. <i>Self plug</i> (follow the link below to my foul-mouthed accouts of late)

So, we want to do something, but are somewhat afraid to get on a closed space like a ship. I'm not kidding, she's been awful and m job has had me so stressed out that I can barely sleep or function as a human. What me and the Mrs need is some sun and warmth that only the Caribbean can bring.

So, after that long-winded soul-vomit, I really need to know if anyone with kids has any experience with the RIU chain. I want to go...I really do. I *^&%ing NEED to go away and get away from work before August or I may have a stroke. I'm too young for a stroke

Um...yea

Poop joke?
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

Not in Puerto Plata but in Punta Cana.

I thought is was a good value for the money, we definately got what we paid for.

To me, the high turnover of guests was reflected in the rooms. (we were in a total of four rooms between visiting family and requesting to be moved.) The soft furnishings were pretty beat. The bathrooms, while "clean" needed the moldly grout scrubbed, the toilet leaked, the sliding doors were off the track. Nothing awful but I had the feeling of "gee, I wish it was better."

The beach chair saving was insane but part of the resort culture, I guess.

The food was sort of fake American, which was fine with Hubs and I as we willingly ate the local choices. The in-laws, on the other hand, were quite put out by the fact that they couldn't get the basic meat, fries, and such that they are used to.

But it was cheap, hot and we got to lay on the beach for around $650 per person for four nights with airfare so overall it was a success.

There is a site called Deb's Dominican Travel (or something like that) that has tons of reviews. We found it very helpful in planning.