Bohemian travels- a pre-trip report

Travel discussion for St. John
JT

Bohemian travels- a pre-trip report

Post by JT »

Ok, Folks, my wife and I will be in a taxi to the downtown ferry in about 48 hrs. from now if everything goes according to Hoyle. The trip was decided on less then 2 weeks ago for my wife's birthday present. This past spring was the first time in the last 4 years that we didn't make the trip, due to money issues. We still can't really afford it, but decided we couldn't afford not to, for "spiritual well-being" reasons! So with a reasonable airfare [$268 RT from Dulles], an affordable villa, a 2dr Vitara rental, some help from neighbors and friends for rides to and from the airport and house/pet-sitting, we're packing the bags. This will be the 1st time that we've checked bags, as we travel light. Last year we pulled off 3 weeks with carry on only and didn't want for a thing. Because of the new regulations we are checking in one bag with sunscreen,Swiss Army knife,etc.We are still doing one carry on with 2 sets of snorkel gear, bathing suits, camera, binoculars and a change of clothes because since the new restrictions went into effect the lost baggage claims have increased by 33%!Me? I want my country back! Anyway, our agenda is get to Cruz Bay, get the car and head directly out of "town" and get to Coral Bay, drop the bags at the villa and hit Shipwreck, Blues, Skinny's and Aqua Bistro, in no particular order. We'll hook up with a few old friends, have a burger, a Caribe, or 2, and just slow down.Borrow a guitar. From that point on we will do whatever comes our way. No plans to sail, no plans not to.Things tend to come up. We'll hit most of the beaches from Maho to Grootpan and Haulover. We may get back up to Ram Head, probably at least the Blue Cobblestone snorkel. We usually get in a midnight hike. Last year we did Yazzi Point for the full moon. We've done Ram Head , but this year we get there a couple of days too late for the full moon. We also tend to rise early, snorkel until around noon, hit the villa for lunch and down time. Get around to the aforementioned houses of fine spirits, enjoy a burger seasoned with the essence of the tradewinds and tall tales. We'll host a dinner, or two, for a couple of our "boatie" friends. Probably put some tacos together. We also don't call home and with only one exception[for emergency only], tell everyone that there is no phone in the villa. No laptop, cell phone,etc. I'm not there to talk to people from here! Anyway, my parting thought to those of you who have never been and those who want to go back: Just do it! There is no tomorrow and "can't" is not an option. You all have a good couple of weeks and I'll tell you all about it when [if] we get back. Peace and Harmony , JT
When you find yourself in a hole.... quit digging.
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
Kentuckygirl

Post by Kentuckygirl »

It sounds like a wonderful plan! Have a great trip!!
cat

Post by cat »

Sounds like my kind of trip! I hope we can get airfare that cheap in June! I love that you have no plans! I have a fear of commitment on a regular basis but on vacation it gets even worse! :lol:
ScubaGirl

Post by ScubaGirl »

Have a great one!!!!! :lol:
silverheels

Post by silverheels »

Hope that you have a wonderful trip. What a nice birthday present for your wife. If you head to Skinny's you just might run into my husband! Just ask for the owner of silverheels!
[/url]
StJohnRuth

Post by StJohnRuth »

Have fun, J.T.! Maybe we'll see you on St. John.
-Ruth
- Ruth, St. John Spice
JT

Post by JT »

Ruth, For you we will stop in and say hello. Nothing personal to you and the other forumites, but we're really of the mind set to get out of "town" as soon as we get there and only come back if totally necessary! I get to Coral Bay and coming back over to Cruz is an ordeal! Now if you could take a few hours and meet us at Skinny's or Bistro.....??? No, We'll stop in to say "hey."
13.5 hrs. to take off! Butterflies and all.
Joe
nothintolose

Post by nothintolose »

JT - don't forget to pet the tiger at Island Blues when you leave :)

Have an awesome time and take lots of pics to post with your report when you come back.

nothintolose
JT

Post by JT »

N.T.L.-- Are you talking about " Taco The Cat?". She rules the roost, but awhile ago the health dept. came by and said she couldn't sleep on the bar or sleep on the stools anymore. Also, there was the one legged rooster but I can't remember his name {Roland?], but he got his walking papers, too. There is also a dog named " Guinness", but he's been banned, too. Seems half a chance he slurps your drink. I know his owner and he'll slurp half your drink too. Uh Oh!!! Looks like there's a drunk front coming in!!! Y'awl enjoy where ever you are for the next couple of weeks. We'll toast each and every one of you with a Dark & Stormy, Caribe, Painkiller, oh my gosh, don't wanna be mean or anything, but we're leaving the house in 7 hours and you guys are going to work!!!
Sorry. ....nanny , nanny, boo, boo. Joe,aka,JT
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

Hey JT! Do I need to tell you to have a great time? Nahhh! Just do it. You're totally cracking me up! :lol: 8) :lol:
cat

Post by cat »

Have fun! I can't wait to read the trip report!