up at night?

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Post by Marcia (Mrs. Pete) »

California Girl, I'm glad I'm not alone. :)
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Missing St. John. As always.
sea-nile

Post by sea-nile »

I used to lay there worrying too. So I decided to get up and do something. I come to the computer and "talk" to someone and then I can get back to sleep. Also, I have to go to the couch sometimes.
I think just changing your position and the temperature helps. Get up, get cold, go back under the covers and get warm. It works almost every time. :D
But, if you are up at 3 am, PM me. Chances are, I am up too.
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

You know, I was WIDE AWAKE last night between 2:30-4:30 AM! I was really tempted to come and check the fourm to see if any of you were up. But, my computer is two flights of stairs away from my bedroom so I did the lazy thing and just stared at the ceiling.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
Pete (Mr. Marcia)

Post by Pete (Mr. Marcia) »

When I find myself wide awake at that time of night, it usually is because I am worrying about something...some case I have going on, etc. When it gets to the point that I know going back to sleep is not going to happen, I get up and make a list of the things that are on my mind. Once they are on paper, I tell myself that they no longer need to be in my head. Sleep usually comes pretty quickly after that.
Wisconsin, smell the dairy air
brenda

Post by brenda »

If I really have the wide awakes at night, I have to get out of bed for a while because it drives me crazy that I am "trying" to sleep. I'll go on the computer for a few or watch TV. I NEVER sleep good when I am "on call" for work. I am always scared that I won't hear the phone and am constantly looking at the clock (although I will myself not to :roll: ). I line up the pager, cell phone and home phone at the bedside. My husband works midnights, so no back up from him. Could these sleepless nights be a sign of middle age :shock: ? I worry a lot a night too and I don't think too many 20 year olds have issues with snoring. Not to mention the aches and pains I am discovering :evil: .
Going "home" again October 26th!
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

Maybe its the 13 month old, but I often don't make it to bed before falling asleep! Once I am tucked in it is lights out for me!

The only time I suffer a sleepless night is when I am scheduled to fly the next day. I worry so much that my alarm won't go off and I'll miss my flight.
sea-nile

Post by sea-nile »

Brenda, I think part of it is a middle age thing. :roll:
Flip-Flop, you aren't there yet. :D
jayseadee

Post by jayseadee »

brenda wrote: I NEVER sleep good when I am "on call" for work. I am always scared that I won't hear the phone and am constantly looking at the clock (although I will myself not to :roll: ). I line up the pager, cell phone and home phone at the bedside. .
Brenda, I totally understand that feeling. I used to be the same when I was "on call". Luckily, I had a team in Ireland that took over at 3am EST; as soon as the clock (which I tried not to look at) turned to 3am, I would be out like a log. Fortunately, I have a new job that doesn't require it.

Age is a big factor. I'm now beyond the 3am wake-ups :roll:
janet
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
sea-nile

Post by sea-nile »

Hi everyone!
3:30 am here. I tried the laying in bed thing for the last 1/2 hour and it wasn't working.
SJ: My bed is gorgeous and very comfortable so it is not that.
I'll get back to sleep now.
Sweet dreams everyone. I'm probably the only one up except those in Europe and Scandanavia. :D
StJohnRuth

Post by StJohnRuth »

Most often I bet you will find it's the full moon. Four to five days before to four to five days after. Someone told me this in my twenties and ever since then, during this time period I watch and listen. Everywhere I go, I see people yawning and I hear them say "I just didn't sleep well last night." If you know what it is, it's not so aggravating.
-Ruth
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Post by Marcia (Mrs. Pete) »

I was up last night at 2:45 am and ended up turning the laundry (you know, take out the dry stuff, plunk it on the table, pull out the wet stuff, put in dryer, add a new load) and then went back to bed. It worked for me. After this exercise, I fell soundly back to sleep. Hopefully not too soundly (for Pete's sake) as I do tend to have some snoring issues...

The full moon very well might have a part in this. And, the winter dull-drums. And, it's kind of crunch time for work, for everyone. "High season" so to speak. Work is seriously stressful because there is no holiday holding back business. Throw in (insert here: the stresses of the day, i.e. kids college preparations, finances, health issues, parent's health issues, all of the "what ifs") and that makes for a brain full of too much crap.

Well, now it's time for me and Pete to get the heck out of the house (without kids) for dinner. A little alone time, with the one I love, just might be the trick for a good night's sleep.

See you all in the morning. And not at 3:00 am :) (Hopefully!)
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Missing St. John. As always.