I survived Discover Scuba...

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
chrisn

I survived Discover Scuba...

Post by chrisn »

And I didn't even dive!

Finally after a couple months of badgering me, the little man wore me down. Honey and I took our 10 year old for his Discover Scuba course yesterday.

I sat there watching, clinched up like I was in the dentists chair for about the first 1/2 hour. After that I relaxed a bit. As long as I could zone in on his bubbles, I was fine. I was so afraid he was going to hold his breath.

He loved every minute of it. At the longest, he was down for 20 minutes consecutively. He had the full gear and played under water like a fish.

The divemaster said that he has a natural ability and thinks he will make a great diver someday.

We won't let him certify as we feel he's just too young but we're letting him do the Seal Team for now so he can enjoy his newly discovered hobby. Honey is going to get certified. He said he "dug the h*ll out of it." I've created a coupla of scuba diving monsters but I'm happy staying on the surface!
sea-nile

Post by sea-nile »

That's great! It's good dad is doing it with him.
I am the only one learning to dive in my family and the rest "stay at the surface".
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

That's great! I'm glad he enjoyed it. I miss diving sometimes (except for the top of the tank banging into the back of my head).
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
Ksea

Post by Ksea »

I think that's great. I would have been a nervous wreck, like the first time my son rode a horse without someone being along side. You just have to hold your breath and let them do their thing!
Poohwear

Post by Poohwear »

Let my son go to Sail Caribbean Summer Camp when he was 13 and he got a Jr. PADI certification which he has kept (not Jr. anymore) and just last year dove the Great Barrier Reef, Australia (he is 27 now). He remembers those days sailing for 3 weeks around the BVI's. He was the youngest on board and made lasting friendships there, I highly recommend it. It is based at The Moorings, Tortola.
Poohwear