Porters, the airport and Saturdays?

Travel discussion for St. John
sueoz

Porters, the airport and Saturdays?

Post by sueoz »

Hi - me again - we leave STT on a saturday in the afternoon. I've done a "porter" search and read how bad that can be. Are there a lot of porters to be had and where are they when we get there? My husband has fits if our luggage is out of our sight til we're checked in - are they with you the whole time? Or in sight?

And this is probably a stupid question - but I also read a lot about going through customs and immigration. If I am going directly to Boston - do I have to go through that? Isn't that U.S. to U.S.?

Thanks for letting me be
sue
martini girl

Post by martini girl »

Yes, you'll have to go through customs, I'm guessing because VI are duty-free. I don't think you go thru immigration, at least I don't remember doing that.

Porters were waiting curbside as you get out of your taxi. We used one a few weeks ago and it was amazing. Our luggage was never out of sight, in fact, when we were in line at the check-in desk, the porter just kind of left the luggage cart (we had 9 bags in all) in the middle of the area, basically unattended, although we were very nearby and could see everything. He kept saying "I've got everything under control." and he did. He had us skip around the huge lines waiting at Customs and they opened up a whole new desk/agent just for us. They also opened up a handicapped line thru security, just for us. Well worth the tip--$40 I think.

We watched him hand the luggage over to security to put on the belt that takes it away. No problems at all. A porter was a good thing. And, if you can print your boarding passes ahead of time, which I wish we had done, you've eliminated the check-in desk as well. Happy travels!
RickG

Post by RickG »

Yep, immigration and customs. USVI are considered a porous border. You don't technically need any more id than for travel in CONUS, but they will ask you for passport, birth certificate, etc.

So, check-in online, print your boarding pass and do carry-on only.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
Margy Z

Post by Margy Z »

Try to get the blank customs declaration forms when you land so you will have them all ready before you hit the airport on your return.

There is a porter working for Red Cap at STT named Richie who is absolutely wonderful. He has been there a long time. Last May, taveling with four girlfriends, he took wonderful care of the five of us and all of our stuff. He moved us and our wagon load of luggage right out of our honkin' big SUV and around the long line and up to the counter. He took care of the weighing and tagging and got us squared away with AA with boarding passess, etc. I asked him if he was going to stay with us through customs and until we hit TSA and he told me that he sure was - that we were family now and that he would appreciate an invite for Christmas dinner. Told us he was going home to Atlanta for Thanksgiving but could skip right on up to Chicago in time for Christmas with us. He was such a wonderful relief from the usual dreaded STT airport experience! The customs agents knew him well and everyone was all smiles. This was the easiest trip through I have ever had. Of course, then we hit TSA and well, that was the same old same old. I think you could call his name when you pull up to unload - if you can get him it will be a brighter experience and well worth $5/bag.
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

We also used a porter last year and I'd never do it any other way! Fast and easy! We were inside having breakfast within 10 or 15 min. of arriving at the airport! Well worth what we tipped him! :D
DCphoto

Post by DCphoto »

Loved, Loved, Loved, using the porter at the airport, The guy went and got our boarding pass for us, never had to wait in the line to do that, which is long, by the way, he did not wait either, he just went up there to the counter infront of everybody else. Also, scooted us in a special line through imigration. He stayed with us the whole time. Never worried about being away from our bags. We gave him a huge tip for the trouble. Well, worth it. My husband was smiling the whole time.
Pia

Post by Pia »

If I leave during "peak hours" I always use a porter :)

I am interested in what you tip - I usually tip $10.00 for my one bag - what about you guy's ????

Pia
hlsess

Post by hlsess »

glad to hear this b/c all I've heard is do carry on only- we're leaving on a thursday so maybe it won 't be too bad-
susan & herb

Post by susan & herb »

I have a question.
If we have carry on, is there any way to use the porter or do we just stand on line to get thru security going back to JFK?
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

Porter was a LIFE saver for us - traveling with two small kids, gramma and a mound of luggage. I think we tipped him $5/bag - or maybe I handed him 2 $20s. I can't remember now. Worth every penny!
martini girl

Post by martini girl »

I would hand him a carry-on bag, a $20 bill, and let him lead us right past all the lines. For us, it was mostly the line through Customs, just inside the automatic doors, that was worth skipping, but then he also got us through the security checkpoint, where you remove your shoes, a lot quicker because he directed us to the handicapped line, which was totally empty.
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

If you forget to get your customs forms at the airport stop in to the customs office on st john and pick them up during your wandering in cruz bay
Tom