Document requirements for returning to US mainland from USVI

Travel discussion for St. John
RickG

Document requirements for returning to US mainland from USVI

Post by RickG »

I know the regulations regarding documents necessary to return to the US mainland from territories have been in flux this year. Does anyone have any experience lately going through immigration in St. Thomas with only a driver's license or only a birth certificate?

The US State Department and the American Airlines website seem to be in agreement that you don't need a passport or a birth certificate if you have not left the US Virgin Islands during your visit.

Of course, I and my kids have passports. But, I have a couple of members of our Gang of 24 getting squirrely about documentation a week before we leave.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
Andrea266

Post by Andrea266 »

As of Jan. 1, you will NOT need a passport while traveling between the US, Puerto Rico and the VI. I honestly don't know what the regulations are now, but I know I always have my passport when we leave island, and fill out that blue immigration form, including our passport number. I wouldn't be too worried about people in your group who don't have passports, but hey, I'm no expert.
Genral

Post by Genral »

Hey Rick. If they do not have passports, tell your fellow travelers to bring a valid picture ID, like a driver's license AND a Certified copy of their birth certificate. I had thought that a license would be enough, but as the Immigration Officer said, there is nothing on your license that says you are a U.S. citizen. Hope you guys have a blast! Genral
No matter where you go, there you are.
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

Birth certificate is fine as long as you don't go to the BVI's then you will need a passport
RickG

Post by RickG »

Thanks for the comments folks. I called the State Department and American Airlines again today. They are both saying that, under the amended Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI), the same rules apply for getting through immigration, customs and airport security apply as for any other airport in the US: goverment issued photo id for people over the age of 18, no id required for those under the age of 18. If you believe the State Department and the airline.

The bottom line, you never left the US so you do not need to go through immigration on the way back to the continental US.

This has been a very frustrating year. These regulations as applied to the USVI have changed at least 3 times this year with 2 different deadlines for mandatory passports and now not even a birth certificate required. Half of the gang of 24 paid for passports that they winded up not needing and may never use again. That's pretty freaking close to $1,000 - a lot of Red Stripes.

Me, I'll carry the passport. So will my kids. I'll let you know how this works out.

Cheers, RickG
nascarfan59

Post by nascarfan59 »

I do know from past experience that the birth certificate must be the certified one issued by the county and not the one with my baby feet print on it! Almost didn't make it back home. But they excepted a 2nd goverment issued photo ID I had on me.

Here is a link to the Dept. of State that looks like effective 1/7/2007 you will need a passport but hard to tell for sure. We went ahead and got ours.
http://www.travel.state.gov/travel/cbpm ... _2223.html

All of you going to St. John have a drink for me back here in the cold midwest. We will back down on the island 5/5/07 to 5/15/07.

I love this forum!
msgcolleen

Post by msgcolleen »

Just a few weeks ago I had a "just expired" drivers licence & my original birth certificate with no raised seal and was able to visit the BVI's and get thru STT on the way back to Texas.
Starting in January '07 you will need a passport to the USVI, so I have heard. Got my new passport made just a few days ago since we will be in Costa Rica in January! Not as fabulous as St. John but ANYTHING is better than dreary Dallas in the winter!!

Enjoy every minute of your magical STJ trip Rick & clan! In the blink of an eye it will be a memory & you will be freezing your booties off back North staring at the Cruz Bay web cam ~~~~
CHEERS! 8)
I've got 2 tickets to paradise~Pack your bags we'll leave tonight!

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

nascarfan59 wrote:All of you going to St. John have a drink for me back here in the cold midwest. We will back down on the island 5/5/07 to 5/15/07.

I love this forum!
You'll be there the same time as us! :D
New England

Identification

Post by New England »

We are meeting Rick G and family in St John. I am glad we have passports as I am for anything that makes my life easier! Yea we paid close to $400 for ours and the kids, but if it means not having to deal with 1000 questions and issues I'm OK with it!

No one knew what the State Dept was going to come up with and how much notice we would have. It is what it is and I'd rather the State Dept be strict and keep us safer!
RickG

Re: Identification

Post by RickG »

New England wrote:We are meeting Rick G and family in St John. I am glad we have passports ...
Hey sister, I found the house we stayed in for Thanksgiving 1997. It used to be called Hart Bay Beach House and it is back on the market and now called Rendezview. http://www.islandgetawaysinc.com/Heartbayvilla.html It's been pretty well renovated. I still remember the look on Grannies face when she found the dead mouse in the kitchen utensil drawer!

Cheers, RickG
RickG

VI Daily News artticle on the USVI's passport expemption

Post by RickG »

VI Daily News artticle on the USVI's passport expemption

http://www.virginislandsdailynews.com/i ... d=17599102

and another.

http://www.virginislandsdailynews.com/i ... d=17599162

Cheers, RickG
Eric in NJ

Post by Eric in NJ »

RickG wrote:Me, I'll carry the passport. So will my kids. I'll let you know how this works out.

Cheers, RickG
We went and got our passports recently. The way things are going you never know if you'll be somewhere that a license was good for and some kind of bulldingle will happen and you can't come home without better ID.
Eric in NJ

You never know where you're going till you get there.