leaving teens alone in villas?

Travel discussion for St. John
jp

leaving teens alone in villas?

Post by jp »

Staying at Coral Oasis this summer and the wife & I would like to try some fine dining sans kids. Have two boys (18 & 16), a daughter (12) and a girlfriend(17).

Feeling a little queasy about leaving them alone in the villa for a few evening hours. Keep in mind that I'm not worried about my oldest and the girlfriend being unsupervised. This is a safety issue for me.

jp
RickG

Post by RickG »

I've done it before sans nausea. I do it at home too. I'll be doing it a week from Monday on STJ too! When I'm on island for a week with the kids I need a break from them and they like to relax and watch some TV, which I do not allow in the villa otherwise.

That being said, we have AT&T mobile phones that work on island.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
krislbi

Post by krislbi »

I'm sure they will be fine, but wanted to note to you RIckG that we just got back and had some issues w/our AT&T phones while on island. Sometimes they worked, sometimes they did not.
RickG

Post by RickG »

The South shore and Francis/Leinster Bay can be an ATT problem. Coral Bay and Cruz Bay work well.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
cypressgirl

Post by cypressgirl »

I would have to have the key to the chastity belt in my pocket to leave an 18 and 17 year old together. I guess it's my mom coming out in me. :lol: I would not be worried about their saftey. I'm sure they are in more danger in the states than on STJ.

I hope you know I'm just having fun. I know you know your kids. You all will have a great time! I would trust mine too..........I think.
Chickadee

Post by Chickadee »

I'm sure they'd all be fine, especially if you lay out a few basic safety rules first (especially as regards use of the pool if the house has one). That said, you could always ask your rental agent if there's a young adult they would trust who could come and hang out with your kids for a few hours. Meet up with them ahead of time, maybe get lunch all together, then set up the date and time you'll need them to come to the villa?
Jennifer

Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Post by Marcia (Mrs. Pete) »

I would not be the least bit concerned unless they were allowed to venture away from the villa. If the rules are to stay at the villa, not to mess with the rum and simply enjoy the TV for the one and only time on vacation, you're golden for a night out sans kids.*

*Unless you have a problem leaving them at home alone (at home). That's a whole
'nuther issue.

Teens running loose in STJ or anywhere away from home is not a good idea.
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Missing St. John. As always.
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

I'm sure they will be fine! I would just remind them that they (and everyone) should keep the accessible exterior doors to the villa locked, whether you are inside or outside, as a good habit--just like you would at home. Remind them, too, if the bedroom pod is seperate from the living pod, they should keep the doors to both locked at all times, even if they are on the property and using the pool.

Tell them, too, that the USVI drinking age is 27! :wink:

Looks like a nice villa! Have a great trip.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
XOXO

Post by XOXO »

First, unfortunately for everyone involved, I am psycho.

Ok, there is my disclaimer.

I wouldn't. I agree that it is so much better than letting them run around on their own but I, because of my psycho-ness, would feel much better either going out together or staying in. I drive my DH and sons crazy!

I know.

Gina
Suds

jp's dilemma

Post by Suds »

JP

First of all have a great trip and enjoy.

Son is eighteen (18) years old and your concerned about leaving them alone for a few hours?

I would think at this point that he should be able to handle it - if not when?

Agree w/ others lay down some basic safety rules, relax and have a nice dinner.

Suds
iowaguy

Post by iowaguy »

I would never feel comfortable giving someone else assurance that this will be fine or its the right thing to do. I'll just tell you that we will have the same situation coming up in less than a week, and we have planned two adult nights out without the kids. They'll be getting some Ronnie's pizza or Joe's BBQ. We'll probably both enjoy the momentary break.
---Jim
JT

Post by JT »

Hey, I've got friends whose sons are 18 and 19 and are in the Middle East . STJ, with the other kids, is probably a little safer! Keeping the doors locked is a good idea, just to be on the safe side.
When you find yourself in a hole.... quit digging.
sea-nile

Post by sea-nile »

We left our 12 and 16 year old for a few hours in the villa. I wasn't worried at all. I am more worried here sometimes because of the friends that they could have over. :?
Most of the time though, we just took them with us. They liked Cruz Bay, walking around, Woody's and the Beach Bar. But we never stayed out past 9:00 so they did not see any belly shots.
sailorgirl

Post by sailorgirl »

I agree with the poster, who commented that if you would leave them at home alone for a few hours then you should be able to do so on vacation. You know your kids, can they be trusted to follow the rules and look after the young ones at home. If the answer is yes, it should be same away.
mia

Post by mia »

It is totally up to you and your wife. If you are feeling "queasy" about it....I'm a great believer in following your instincts. I'm sure that you will have a wonderful time either way...mia
It takes both the sun and the rain to make a beautiful rainbow. --Unknown