trip insurance- has anyone had to use it?

Travel discussion for St. John
sea-nile

trip insurance- has anyone had to use it?

Post by sea-nile »

I tried to do a search on trip insurance, but I couldn't really find the answers I wanted. I have also searched web sites, called and e-mailed some of the companies and I keep getting more confused the more I research.
The main reason I want the insurance is that I have an elderly grandfather and step-father who both have congestive heart disease. If one of them passes away during or right before our trip and we have to cancel, will we get any reimbursement?
If not, the insurance seems pointless.
Has anyone had to use the insurance for this reason?
Most plans seem to have a rule that if you pay your first down payment for your trip more than 15 days before you purchase your trip insurance (which is what we did), then there is a pre-existing condition clause that says if a family member gets sick or dies from a condition that he has had for more than 180 days, then the trip is
not covered.
Any experts out there?
Thanks.
sitter

Post by sitter »

Not an expert Terri, but with my Mother having COPD, I always purchace trip insurance. Costs about $50-$80...depending on how much the trip cost.
Knock on wood, I've never had to use it, but always feel so much better traveling with a sick Mother at home, & my children at home.
sea-nile

trip insurance

Post by sea-nile »

Sitter,
What company did you use and what insurance did you get for $50-80?
mrsb

Post by mrsb »

We buy trip insurance every time we go on vacation. I think the pre-existing condition is for the people taking the trip.? I went to insuremytrip.com and you can compare the many different companies and options. Make sure it says that you will receive some kind, if not full, refund if you have to cancel for any reason or have trip interruption. I paid over 200 for two people and it is based on the cost of you trip.

Amy
sitter

Post by sitter »

Terri, when I booked the flights to Hawaii for April 07 on AA, there was a place on theri web site to purchase the trip insurance. It was $80 per person for the trip there.