Has the economic situation changed your USVI travel plans?

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Post by Marcia (Mrs. Pete) »

Back to Anthony's question...will this economic situation impact our travel plans to the USVI in the next year or two?

Personally, I'm not sure.

As for the "masses" yes. Generally speaking, we are most definitely headed into the deepest recession we've seen since WW2. But, this is not necessarily a bad thing. (Please, don't get me started in an economics debate...that's not what my post is about).

I'm not going to talk politics or economics here because, a great deal of the participants in this forum pretty much have the money to make a vacation in the USVI happen, no matter what the economy has to say about it. The fortunate ones.

So, yes, Anthony, the USVI will most definately suffer as the US economy does. But, my guess is that there will be less "new comers" and long term, for the USVI, less "newbies" discovering it. The USVI will have to subsist on the fortunate ones who come back year after year, regardless of the economy, and hope that they do not make all of their meals in their villas, etc...

Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

Only time will tell.
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Missing St. John. As always.
verjoy

Post by verjoy »

Yes, we are indeed fortunate to be able to visit St John, regardless of the cost.

However, I think this economy has a long way to get to the conditions when my husband retired from the military in late 1981. Unemployment was 8.5 percent. When we finally got jobs and tried to buy a house interest rates were 14 percent. We had a child in college. It was pretty tough.

We survived. I even went back to school and got a computer science degree. Hard work pays off. :)
Poohwear

Post by Poohwear »

Well, travel to Europe (for me) will not happen until the dollar grows stronger. Went on a 21 day Mediterranean cruise last year and the Euro killed the dollar. But in the USVI, nothing much has changed. Gas prices are up, but not so much more than here ($3.89/gal last week), don't take the gas option on car rentals, they charge $6.02...IMAGINE! I drove 252 miles in 2 weeks and had to fill up once to return the car ($40...it was completely empty). I see the cruise ships full but the merchants at Havensight are hurting for business, the price of gold is up around $1000/oz,,,that little gold bracelet is outta reach now. Still a brisk business for liquor and ciggies as well as electronics in Boolchands. Perfume from Paris remain decently priced as opposed to NYC. All in all, I own a condo, so I am not doing the tourist thing, eat out a lot but cook in too.....no luggage HOORAY!, that's the best part! :lol:
Poohwear
Poohwear

Post by Poohwear »

Just want to see if my photo works...
Poohwear
Poohwear

Post by Poohwear »

clearly it didn't, help me out guys!
Poohwear
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Poohwear, pm California Girl and she will help you with your avatar. She made mine for me! :)

And, welcome to the forum! Do you live on St. Thomas full time or is your condo for your vacations?
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
Poohwear

Post by Poohwear »

Thanks for the tip...We bought a 2BR condo at Mahogany Run on STT last year...spent the month of August painting, tearing out the old kitchen, putting in a gorgeous one and generally getting the place to fit our style. Just came back from 2 weeks there, excellent weather and traveling in March. We rented it out last winter over the holidays but we will be going down gain at the end of this month for the owners meeting and then again in the summer. Hopefully after I retire next year, we will be spending several months there at a time. No doggies allowed in our community so that keeps bringing us back home. :( [/img]
Poohwear
Anthony
Site Admin

Post by Anthony »

Everyone thanks for all the opinions here - it has been lively, to say the least. I appreciate the candor.
Anthony for Virgin Islands On Line
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED

Last bumped by Anonymous on Thu Dec 21, 2023 6:12 am.