Has the economic situation changed your USVI travel plans?

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
budman

Post by budman »

No! Go out and buy something.
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

Nope, nothing has changed for us in that regard.

Budman, if you're going to twist my arm, I guess I'll go buy something today :)
Anthony
Site Admin

Post by Anthony »

Hey everyone - thanks for the responses. I think this got a little off track though - I wasn't so much after are you not going to travel because of the current dollar vs. situation, but whether if all the news I am reading about the real estate market, stock market, and - dare I say it - the "possible" recession has made you change plans for the USVI. It sounds mostly like no - not yet. Which is great news. (Also we have had third party analysis of our site traffic that shows the demographic around here has a very high household income - which would make sense for the destination and the fact that current events don't seem to be affecting you much!)

As for European travel - looking around here today, it doesn't seem like Americans have stopped coming - but I am starting to think that if the dollar doesn't come around soon, 2009 may be the year Europe starts to feel the downside of the currency strength.
Anthony for Virgin Islands On Line
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

With the price of gas averaging $4.00 a gallon you would not believe all the motorhomes I saw towing small cars and bicycles on our way out to the desert yesterday!

The fact that our house has dropped in value about $100,000 and gas and everything else is going up, I'd say YES, it is affecting our plans for the USVI. I'm attempting to save for next year, but it's harder and harder to put anything away. I'm definitely putting money into my IRA and other necessities, but saving for leisure activities takes a little more creativity than it used to a couple of years ago! Hooray for eBay! :lol:
Jan&MikeVa

Post by Jan&MikeVa »

Hi Anthony,

As always, good stuff from you. I would say that NO the current situation has not changed our plans to visit STJ in December. However, I am also not booking right now either. Mike & I have no children, flexible schedules, but we do have some rental property and a small business. We're sitting pretty tight right now on most everything. Getting older does make you a bit wiser and patient. :wink:

Bottom line is we're conservatively optimistic about the impact this struggling economy will have on us. I have already begun to feel it in my business.

P.S. Did I mention we're going to New Orleans for Jazz Fest the end of April? Nothing conservative about that trip, so have I contradicted myself??? :roll: Oh well................
verjoy

Post by verjoy »

Sorry to have gotten "off topic". :)

We do OK for retirees, but we live in an inexpensive area. The median household income in our area is only $25,000 a year. New homes are still selling well. We get many people relocating or retiring from the coasts because of the low cost of homes here and the beautiful and relaxed atmosphere.

We drive a Prius, but the price of gasoline here is going to cause a burden on those who like their pickup trucks. :roll:
linne

Post by linne »

Just want to tell that we European also are worried about the bad economy in USA. Of course it’s cheaper for us now to have a vacation in USA, but it doesn’t mean so much - that’s only a pleasure for a short time. For somebody like us, not so young, and with a big part of our pension savings invested in stocks, it's more important that the value of our investment is falling, in the last 3 month about 20%. Why? One of the reasons is that the low price on the dollar weakens the competitive position in USA, and also there is a fear for USA having a recession that can have a rub-off effect on Europe. It’s a global world we are living in! So please, go out and use some money and choose the right president!!! :D Don’t know if it’s Obama, Hillary or John. :?

Linne

Sorry Anthony, I know that my reply isn't an answer to your question, but I couldn't resist to contribute with another view. Just today I was looking at a specification of our investments. :cry:
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
nothintolose

Post by nothintolose »

I can tell you that gas prices are killing me as I drive around all day for work. The sad thing is that gas here is not as high as it is in lots of the places you guys live.

nothintolose
Anthony
Site Admin

Post by Anthony »

Jorge wrote:Anthony,
Last year we spent 37k in STJ. I don't know if I will be back until 2009. Yes, I am in the construction trade. Luvya, Jorge
Wow - that is some serious coin!!! You gotta make hay when the sun shines Jorge - sounds like you did and you enjoyed your free time. Hope you tucked some under the mattress too - :) (or bought some gold bars!).
Anthony for Virgin Islands On Line
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
Coden

Post by Coden »

Yes, we will do more US based trips. Or should I say more places where the US dollar is still good. So mainly the US and its territories. Ha!! :)

The price of gas is killing me. It is either gas or food, this week it is food. Hope the gas lasts through the week. Just kidding, but only a little. :shock:
Coden
soxfan22

Post by soxfan22 »

You know, it's funny...For the last hmmm, maybe 5 years, the economy has been doing great...Low unemployment, new job creation, somewhat stable dollar (until recently), dow jones at all time highs...etc. When Clinton was Pres, we had to hear everyday how the unemployment rate was less than 6%. Well, it's been less than 5% under this Pres, and you never hear a word about it. Now that we've hit a slow down in the market (mainly because people took loans they had no business taking), you'd think we were headed for a depression.

Someone said (Maybe CAGirl?) they lost $100,00 on their home...Not your financial advisor, but unless you plan on financing your next trip to St. John with a Home Equity Loan, then that should'nt hamper your travel plans, no?

Gas...Maybe, just maybe if we could drill in ANWR, build a NEW gas refinery (hasn't been one built in at least 25 years), build nuclear plants to provide this World's cleanest and safest form of energy (even France is 75% nuke power!)...Then we might start to see a reduction in prices...

But that's a pipe dream. The Sierra Club is all powerful in this country.

Anyway, I'm going to Disney in April, St. John in July, and just got back from STJ in December. And I'm taking a big old fuel guzzling jet airplane to get there.

I am now the most diliked person on this board.
Pete (Mr. Marcia)

Post by Pete (Mr. Marcia) »

soxfan22 wrote:You know, it's funny...For the last hmmm, maybe 5 years, the economy has been doing great...Low unemployment, new job creation, somewhat stable dollar (until recently), dow jones at all time highs...etc. When Clinton was Pres, we had to hear everyday how the unemployment rate was less than 6%. Well, it's been less than 5% under this Pres, and you never hear a word about it. Now that we've hit a slow down in the market (mainly because people took loans they had no business taking), you'd think we were headed for a depression.

Someone said (Maybe CAGirl?) they lost $100,00 on their home...Not your financial advisor, but unless you plan on financing your next trip to St. John with a Home Equity Loan, then that should'nt hamper your travel plans, no?

Gas...Maybe, just maybe if we could drill in ANWR, build a NEW gas refinery (hasn't been one built in at least 25 years), build nuclear plants to provide this World's cleanest and safest form of energy (even France is 75% nuke power!)...Then we might start to see a reduction in prices...

But that's a pipe dream. The Sierra Club is all powerful in this country.

Anyway, I'm going to Disney in April, St. John in July, and just got back from STJ in December. And I'm taking a big old fuel guzzling jet airplane to get there.

I am now the most diliked person on this board.
All I know is that the budget was balanced under Clinton for the first time since Andrew Jackson. Mr. Bush, the younger, seems to believe that the trickle down economics of the Reagan era is the answer. Been there, done that...doesn't work.

Have fun at Disney. That's the "real" deal right there...might as well be on a movie set.

Flame away...I can take it.
Wisconsin, smell the dairy air
verjoy

Post by verjoy »

:) Soxfan22,

Well said.

I like you. :)