Has the economic situation changed your USVI travel plans?

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
Anthony
Site Admin

Has the economic situation changed your USVI travel plans?

Post by Anthony »

Hi everyone,

Just wondering what the local economies are feeling like in your neck of the woods, and if it has impacted your USVI (or Caribbean) travel plans for 2008. The news sounds mostly downbeat about the US economy (from what I get here in Italy - that is almost all based on the web - we don't have a TV).

The euro is killing the dollar but it hasn't seemed to affect European travel by Americans yet - by the crowds here in Florence today you would never know it either.
Anthony for Virgin Islands On Line
Maggy

Post by Maggy »

In Sweden, the travel agencies and charter operators, are starting up new and old destinations in the US and the Caribbean, because of the USD rate. There is a lot of focus on vacationing in the US and countries that have currency that follows the USD.

For us personally, it has only made our already set plans more economical. :D
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

It won't stopme from going places that use the dollar but it will keep me from going where they don't. So many places to see in the U S that I haven't seen
Tom
sea-nile

Post by sea-nile »

Not yet this year, but maybe next year. I will find a way to get to STJ. Going with 6-9 women is economical as far as villa costs go. :D
pipanale

Post by pipanale »

I would think Europeans are going to take huge advantage of it. I know I would. I probably would not have been going to Europe or anywhere outside of the US any time soon, but I certainly would not until the dollar perked up.

I mean...we're even getting killed against the Canadian dollar. Canada!

That's it...who's with me? We're invading!
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Well, the crappy dollar vs. euro rate was one of the reasons I decided not to go to Portugal recently. It did not seem like a good value at all. But, we are continuing with our other dollar-based vacation plans as usual.

We certainly took advantage of the favorable USD vs. Canadian dollar exchange rate to upgrade our trips to Montreal in years past...I am sure that people on the euro are looking forward to getting good value for their $$ at US-based locations now. It will be our turn again someday!
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
LMG

Post by LMG »

For me, travel costs what it costs and I plan accordingly. It's the rest of my life that works around travel, not the other way around. (I know this is an uncommon type of luxury. Having no kids helps.)

That said, I realize I'm not the norm as I've got a reliable income and am in one of the [theoretically] less affected parts of the country in a fairly secure industry.
Ksea

Post by Ksea »

I have two 2008 trips planned and paid for. Cash is stashed for spending money. 2009, however, may be a struggle. The real estate market has a huge effect on our incomes and the market here stinks. Pitching in on a villa with another family will help.
nothintolose

Post by nothintolose »

Anthony - I am with Waterguy on this one. We are going back to STJ rather than travel to Europe because of the exchange rate.

I am fine with that as SO is the one that loves Europe; although, I do love Rome and Florence. I much prefer to go to the USVI over Europe :)

As for other trips, we plan to travel in the US unless something happens with the exchange rate. When it gets better, we will go back to Europe but not until then. There are too many other places to see.

nothintolose
verjoy

Post by verjoy »

Anthony-
Thanks for asking, but exchange rate would not keep me from traveling. Only a death in the family or personal incapacity would stop us. We haven't made any plans other than STJ in June, but we would like to go back to New Zealand and Italy. Also considering Ireland, Panama Canal, and Tahiti.

At our age, we need to go while we are still up to it. :roll:
Kathyzhere

Post by Kathyzhere »

Heading to STT/STJ this June...wooohoo :D
STJ in Feb 2009

But I am trying to fit in a trip up to the Cape to visit family-son, dtr in law, etc. I had to take 2 unexpected trips up at the end of last year so that threw a lil' bump in the budgeting :roll:

Spirit has some of my $$$ hostage so maybe I'll have enough for 2 seats to BOS if they don't nickel and dime me with charges :x

So far no impact with travel plans but if things continue to get worse with the economy then cruises will be the way to go for additional vacations for me.
nothintolose

Post by nothintolose »

SO and I discussed this topic last night and he (the one that loves Europe) said he just can't see spending the money to go over there when you get so little for the dollar.

We got spoiled when we were going, it was $315 round trip from New Orleans to Paris and the most expensive was like $580 to Italy and I think the exchange rate was the reverse of what it is now.

Besides, there are so many places stateside and other places besides Europe to see. If HE feels that way, you know it's affecting us as he LOVES Europe. I like it too, don't get me wrong, I just don't like the long plane rides. I can't wait till I can just get beamed over there like on Star Trek :lol:

He is retiring at the end of next month so I have a feeling we will be traveling alot more :)
sherban

Post by sherban »

I'm finding the biggest $$ factor for me and planning Caribbean trips is Airfare...if I can't find a decent Airfare I will choose a different destination, I'm not stuck on one Island....so many islands so little time... :D

Example- Right now I can fly round trip to Aruba for < $350...Jamaica is usually reasonable too...sometimes flights to STT are unreasonable and I will just choose another destination when that happens.......so many islands so little time... :D
Pete (Mr. Marcia)

Post by Pete (Mr. Marcia) »

no
Wisconsin, smell the dairy air
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED