Calling all cooks - I need to buy new pots and pans

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
nothintolose

Post by nothintolose »

Poohwear - not even close - she's 95.

I have dropped mine in the sink trying to wash it cuz it's so heavy and hard to move around (empty). I have also fallen on my a$$ pulling it out of the cabinet underneath my stove :lol:

I still love it though!
Maryanne

Post by Maryanne »

I too have a glass top stove and had to buy flat-bottomed cookeware. Anything other than flat won't sit correctly on the glass, and therefore won't cook properly.

I use All-Clad and Le Creuset.
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

All good info. I will probably buy a few All Clad pieces and the Le Creuset dutch oven everyone loves. My tries at browning/frying meatballs in my current stock pot were less than acceptable.

I want to do this soon so I can set the old stuff out during our town clean-up week.

I am also thinking new knives....
RickG

Post by RickG »

We have the largest round All Clad dutch oven, which is delightful for braising. Our favorite saute pan is classic Calphalon with two handles and I have an old 12" Lodge skillet that sees a lot of use. Non-stick? For eggs, I buy cheap ones and throw them out when they get ragged.

I've been thinking about getting a half-dozen restaurant grade carbon steel saute pans for when I have a lot going on.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
nothintolose

Post by nothintolose »

I tried a BUNCH of knives in our cooking class and at several stores and decided I liked a set of Cuisinart knives better than anything I tried.

Before settling on the Cuisnart, I had a chef's knife and a santoku (sp?) that I bought on recommendation of the teacher as an inexpensive knife ($30) that would tide me over. I will find out the brand later but I gave them to my mom who has old Henckel's (sp?) and says these two are the best knives she has ever had. She loves the balance they have. I like my Cuisinarts better though.
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

A couple years back, Hubs got me a set of knives, Henkels or similar German brand, that are awful.

The sharper seperated from the handle. The chef's knife looks like something nibbled on the blade, it is so chipped and I can't figure out why as I never used it on anything but food and always hand wash it. There are literally pieces missing from the cutting edges. Hubs broke the tip off the utility knife trying to "carve" ice cream.