DELETED

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
RickG

Post by RickG »

Jorge, check out the bar in the Gordon Biersch in Palo Alto. It's a beautiful sinuous shape that may be long enough in concept.

For the top, as long as its smooth and not bumpy and works well as a surface for my beverages. Dark wood or copper works well.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
verjoy

Post by verjoy »

Love the dark wood and copper idea. Copper just seems warmer than glass or stone, but I guess most people won't be laying on it, right? 8)
JT

Post by JT »

Okay, Jorge, As a guilty vet of many a bar around the world, I have to agree with RickG. Smooth, no bumps. There's a reason that most bars are wood, at least where you set your drink. Wood gives the connotation of welcoming, comfortable warmth. As for cigarette burns, like it or not, [I don't smoke anymore, but I hate the bans], even VA. will go statewide on the smoking ban eventually. Laminates over wood can look great for awhile, though most will break down and start looking crappy after awhile. When that happens you can buy a year or two's usefulness by turning down the lights. The drunks never notice. Incidentally, earlier advice of making it server friendly is key.
Oh, yeah a very small, but significant thing- whatever you make it out of, make sure you can put hooks under it for jackets and handbags,etc.
When you find yourself in a hole.... quit digging.
chicagoans

Post by chicagoans »

I like the bamboo idea. I researched it for floors, and it's more durable than other hardwoods (except mesquite, according to the lit I got) and of course it's sustainable so you're building 'green'. The business owner might even get some kind of incentive for green building. It's less common, at least around here, so I ran into issues finding someone experienced for installation.

I like the surfboard idea too but I think that would work best for cocktail height tables. (Places for people to stand and lean or with high stools.)

If they like the thought of stone, I think granite or soapstone are more durable and less likely to stain than marble or Corian. Poured cement is prone to hairline cracks after awhile, which some people think is part of its charm but the owners should be aware of. Love the thought of copper especially when it's treated to be 'weathered' -- that shiny new penny look is hard to maintain.