Favorite place to stay in Tortola?

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
AquaGirl

Favorite place to stay in Tortola?

Post by AquaGirl »

We are changing our plans (yes, this is very last minute for us - we normally plan and book 10 months ahead) and will stay on Tortola for 4-5 days at the end of our trip to VG. I have done lots of research on VG, but none on Tortola. We are looking for an efficiency, condo or cottage on or within walking distance of a nice beach. Don't need anything fancy, but not low end either. There are just the two of us. Preferably small place rather than large resort and we don't want to be in town. Any suggestions from you experienced visitors?
Also will want to rent a vehicle, probably a jeep. Any suggestions on car rental companies?
Thanks!
Agent99

Post by Agent99 »

We enjoyed Long Bay very much, but I've heard others report that it can be hit or miss service wise. They have condo like accomodations and beachfront suites that are more like a hotel room.

Elizabeth Beach has a very pretty resort and a beautiful beach. Don't know much about it. Something in my memory tells me it might be a 7 day minimum or club of some sort.

The other place that comes to mind is Brewer's Bay. They have some cottages there, I'm not sure of the name of them. That is a lovely if isolated cove with great snorkling and a casual beach bar/restaurant. If you want low key, I think that would be my pick. Very old world.

There are several places in Cane Garden Bay....that's not really a town as much as a little hamlet. Pretty beach but can get a bit wild at night. Year's ago we stayed at Quito Rhymer's. It's not fancy and they have a couple of units with kitchens. Quito is a local celeb/musician and he often entertains in his restaurant on the beach.

Have fun. I hope you love Tortola as much as we do.
Agent99

Post by Agent99 »

Re the rental car: We always arrive at Soper's Hole and there is a rental agency right there but you will probably be coming into the east end from VG. I'm sure there are several options in Road Town but I have no personal experience with them.
jayseadee

Post by jayseadee »

We spent several days on Tortola before and after a sailing charter.

We just wanted to relax so we stayed in Cane Garden Bay at the Cane Garden Bay cottages - very small, very clean, fairly cheap, a bit worn and right across the street from the beach.

http://www.virginislandsholiday.com/

We also spent a night at Myett's in a beachfront room (there was problems with the water pump in the cottage). It was a really nice room (it had a small refrigerator and I think a cofeemaker and microwave) and on the beach. Due to trees, no real view.

http://www.myettent.com/index.html

The Lighthouse villas get very good reviews on TTOL (www.traveltalkonline.com). These were my first choice, but they were booked for the days before the charter.

http://www.travel-watch.com/lighthouse/

We didn't rent a jeep, so I can't help you there. We spent most of the time in CGB. Headed to Jost on a "cruise" day and taxied everywhere else.

There are other small apartments in the area - Mongoose, Agave and Sunrise(? - not sure of that name). TTOL is the best BVI forum.

Be sure to catch Quito (Rymer) and the Edge at Quito's Gazebo.

Hope this helps,
janet
RickG

Post by RickG »

We've enjoyed Sebastian's in the past. There is some beach, but if the surf is up it disappear. There are a couple of good restaurants walking distance plus Bomba Shack. It's also close to Smugglers Cove. But, its a budget experience.

I like Brewers Bay a lot. Icis Villas is a new set of cottages that are new since I stayed at the campground there. Brewers Bay is close the "action" at Cane Garden Bay with a nice beach, great snorkeling and a beach bar.

Tortola may be a bit of a disappointment after VG and STJ. Its much more spread out and more populated.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
AquaGirl

Post by AquaGirl »

Wow - thanks for the info and quick response. I enjoyed looking at all these places on-line last night. We will be contacting places this weekend to see what we can find. Brewer's Bay looks like a nice peaceful place. CGB looks a little too busy and built up for our tastes, but perhaps there is a "quiet" side of CGB. I will be curious to see how the snorkeling is in these places since the big waves hit there. I am also using TTOL - lots of good info there. Thanks.
RickG

Post by RickG »

Ya, TTOL is a great resource for the BVIs. CGB snorkeling pretty much stinks. Brewers Bay is great. They are next to each other, but there are killer hills/mountains between the bays there. The road from CGB to Brewers Bay is probably the steepest off-camber road I have ever been on - nothing on STJ like it. But, it works.

Cheers, RickG
jayseadee

Post by jayseadee »

CGB itself is fairly small - maybe half mile long? It is "built up", but not in an Aruba or Miami Beach way. Most of the hotels on the beach are fairly small.

The cottages were near the "end" and were quiet, except for the rooster next door :) I don't remember being bothered by the music coming from the bars on the beach. The Lighthouse is up a hill and may also be fairly quiet.

I recall a small "villa" at the other end of the road. I think it was Shane's Bungalow. We walked by one day - it's pretty close to it's neighbors, but might have some space in the back.

Snorkeling in CGB is lousy; we tried a couple of times and didn't see much at all.

Apple Bay is supposed to be nice, but I think the beach "disappears" during some seasons.

Restaurants on CGB are OK, not great.

If you haven't been to Jost, it's an easy day trip from the West End.
janet
RickG

Post by RickG »

One consideration, CGB does have its own distillery - Callwood Rum Distillery. This is a very artisanal place worth visiting.

Cheers, RickG