A bit of a problem:

Travel discussion for St. John
XOXO

A bit of a problem:

Post by XOXO »

As you know we are planning on going to St. John for Christmas week. I was in touch will a management company who asked me to give specific dates. I called the school and found out that they have school on Tuesday and asked if I could book Wednesday to the following Wednesday. She said yes--as long as it didn't interfere with prior bookings. Neither week is booked yet so I went ahead and got flights. I then said ok--here are my dates. Next I got an email saying that I was disrupting two holiday weeks and couldn't rent the villa. I was shocked. I had my heart set on this villa. I asked the management company to reconsider and did forward their email saying telling me that the villa was open and to give her my final dates. I haven't heard back from them and that was on Monday. I am so disappointed!

Because that is such a busy week I think I am going to have some problems. Do any of you have any suggestions?? My first reaction was to book a resort. I checked into Caneel and they are booked. I am now looking at Tortola and there are a few resorts that look good to me. I also got a hold of a villa management company who said that I would be able to find a villa in the fall but most companies are going to hold out and try to rent both weeks. I can't imagine that I would have any luck with a midweek rental in the fall.

My questions:

What do you think of Tortola? Have you been to any resorts there??

I am not going to name the management company. There is a part of me that wants to scream their name but I don't feel right about that. There is a new management company that has been great to work with. I think they are showing a lot of class and caring. I don't know if I should mention them or not, but I will say that if I had to do it all again I would go through them first. At least they are trying.

Anyway, that I am a little stressed. It will work out but just not exactly as I intended. I haven't had the heart to tell my son. This is supposed to be his senior trip. He has asked me twice if I booked the villa that we decided on. And then to make me feel worse he started telling me why he liked it so much. I feel so bad!!

Gina
Lex

Post by Lex »

I hope it works out to your satisfaction. I would encourage you to name the management company so that others can be aware. People regularly name restaurants and car rental companies they're been dissatisfied with. That's some of the sort of info that i come to a forum to get. Also, I think that if we don't name particular people that we've had unsatisfactory dealings with, we just create an atmosphere of suspicion about all companies.
XOXO

Virgin Gorda:

Post by XOXO »

How difficult would it be to get to Virgin Gorda from STT airport by ferry?? I found a place that would be perfect for us. We are flying in to STT at 2:30 and our flight out is at 10:40. Can it be done? Should it??

Lex, I know. That is why I come here too. I just . . . I know how I feel when I see someone trash someone else. I thought about it before I prepared the post. If I were going to name the company I would have been less specific. I really need help figuring out how to make this work so I was pretty specific about what happened.

If I would have just said something like, this company didn't stand behind what they said, I would name them. But don't feel right about it as it is. But Lex, you have a very valid point, I will think about it.

Gina
Pia

Post by Pia »

Hi there

I think I answered you on another forum (or maybe it was here under a different thread) Anyway, I did not realize it was Wed-Wed over Christmas as I am 99.9999% sure no villa company will rent a villa mid week for those dates - most require 10-14 days over the Christmas holiday and will usually say so on their "home" or "rate" page next to the villa.

Now as far as being on Tortola and catching a flight home at 10:40am I don't think it is possible because you will need to be at the airport by 8:40am but you will need to clear US Customs and Immigration first on STJ (they all stop on STJ as there is no office at Red Hook) so maybe a better option might be to try to stay the last night on STT - maybe at the BW Emerald Beach right at the airport - but book it now as they will fill up really fast and many have a minimum stay requirement as well.

Good luck

Pia
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

Take the kid out of school they will learn more about the world then they would at school
Tom
GQH

Post by GQH »

We rented The Meritage Great House and Cottage through Carefree Getaways over Christmas 2006 and had no problems. Our trip was from Tuesday December 26th, 2006-Tuesday January 2nd, 2007.
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

I can understand your frustration but I am sure that there must have been a miscommunication somewhere. When I was a rental manager, we had very specific rules about Holiday weeks. They are the big money maker for owners and most can be very particular about what they will accept.

Have you checked out other companies to see what they have? It may not be the "perfect" villa, but it is STJ at Christmas. What can be so bad?

I do not agree with Lex at all. If the company had caused you a financial burden or booked the trip and then pulled it out from you, that would be a different story. They have inconvenienced you, but that is it. I have been inconvenienced thousands of times and nver "called out" the company.

Let us know exactly what you are looking for and what your budget and dates are. I am sure that the enterprising nature of the forum members can help you find something!
hlsess

Post by hlsess »

sorry to hear your problems- Hope it all works out!!
iowaguy

Post by iowaguy »

Might try Gallows Point. I realize you won't have as much space as you would at a villa.
---Jim
Chickadee

Post by Chickadee »

I agree with WaterGuy. Take the kid out of school. The world is a big, beautiful place with amazing cultures and people to learn about. He'll learn more about the world on STJ than he will in that ONE day of school. Besides, you're obviously very proud of the young man, he must be a good student to deserve such a great senior trip, so let the kid have an extra day (or 2 if need be) off school.
Jennifer

hlsess

Post by hlsess »

if he's a senior he most likely will have exams before Xmas break- so that could be an issue- at least where we are the kids are in exams the 4 days before Christmas break
Agent99

Post by Agent99 »

I third taking him out of school. I do it all the time, although there is the occasional PIA teacher that throws a nasty test at them the day before vacation. The schools frown on it, but in my experience we've been able to work it out to let the kid take the test early.

I realize that your situation was a fluke, but I find in general if you travel a few days before or after peak travel days (like the fist Saturday of school vacation) you can save a few bucks and get better flights. When the kids are highschool age though, IMO, it's better to take them out of school on the back side of the vacation as opposed to the front. That way they aren't likely to have to reschedule tests and last minute assignments. Good luck!
Ksea

Post by Ksea »

I don't know your son's senior schedule, but Im in agreement with taking him out of school. Have a talk with the teachers and see if something can be worked out so that you dont have to re arrange all your plans. Sorry that the villa agency let you down, that is a real bummer...but Im sure you will find another villa that you will enjoy.
RickG

Post by RickG »

Virgin Gorda is a better alternative than Tortola. How about Ivan's on Jost?

Gallows Point may be your best bet on STJ.

You may also want to try some VRBO.com properties. The owners tend to be more flexible.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
jayseadee

Post by jayseadee »

I used to be one of those PIA teachers. :lol:

At this point, if you change your schedule you'll incur who knows how much in fees from the airlines.

I'd call a few other agencies to see if there is another acceptable villa on island. Not sure if your son would be more disappointed in not staying in THE villa or not going to St. John at all.

As for Virgin Gorda, you could make it over from STT, but you would need to spend your last night on STT to catch your morning flight.

Good luck - I'm sure it will all work out in the end.
janet