DELETED

Travel discussion for St. John
Kentuckygirl

Post by Kentuckygirl »

I'm not in Boston and won't be that weekend but I had to comment. It's my birthday weekend too. :D Actually, mine is the 14th. Lots of us born around then! You all have fun at the gathering!
Image[/url]
chazalez

Post by chazalez »

There are many GREAT restaurants in the south end that have parking. Gas Light, Rocca, Red Fez all have parking. No parking but still great- Pops, Hammersley's, Sibling Rivalry, and for live music (make a late reservation as bands don't start playing until later) Beehive. Hope this helps.
jimg20

Post by jimg20 »

Let's pick a good spot. 8) We are looking forward to meeting a lot of you.

We'll need to figure out how we will get there since we don't plan on renting a car.

JIM
Man it's like some dream we live down here....

chazalez

Post by chazalez »

Hi Jim-
All of the places I mentioned are an easy cab ride. I thought of two more places that are less expensive - where the locals eat. Giacomo's an italian restaurant (south end location) and Delux (tiny bar with wonderful food) both places are cash only. Let me know if you need more ideas.
jayseadee

Post by jayseadee »

liamsaunt wrote:Joe Tecce's is TERRIBLE! Don't go there, you will be miserable.

Cottonwood Cafe is more of an after work pickup joint for twenty-somethings. They do have tasty margaritas though.
Liamsaunt - Wow, what a bummer experience you've had at Joe Tecce's; we've eaten there several times and it was far from terrible. Have brought out of towners, as well.

The Cottonwood is not so pickup'ish on a Saturday evening (unless they're hanging at the bar); they get a sizable dinner crowd, reservations recommended. The Margarita's are tasty and the food is good - and reasonably priced for the Back Bay.

Jim - you should be able to cab or "T" to a restaurant in the city.

Chazalez - Can the south end restaurants accomodate a "large" group and do any take reservations?

Wishwewerethere - great for you to be on St. John!
janet
jimg20

Post by jimg20 »

That's great. We'll wait to see which one emerges as "the one" and we'll make some specific plans from there.

Thanks everyone.

JIM

ccasebolt

Post by ccasebolt »

Not sure I can make it - I'll try. I have to put in a plug for the North End, but I know most of those places don't take reservations, unfortunately. Another place we like to take larger groups is the Summer Shack (Cambridge/Arlington line) http://www.summershackrestaurant.com/. It's casual, the food is good, and there's ample parking. Just a thought...
chazalez

Post by chazalez »

I think Jae's Cafe and Grill (www.jaescafe.com) on Columbus Ave. would be a good choice. They take reservations- no parking lot though. The food is delicious. Asian fusion food. Full bar of course. I wish I could be there to meet you all. I have a show opening on Friday. Anywhere you choose to go will be great. It is the company you keep that makes for a wonderful evening!
jimg20

Post by jimg20 »

Has a concensus choice emerged? Since I don't know any of the places there, I have no input to offer.

JIM

ccasebolt

Post by ccasebolt »

Where will everyone be coming from? Maybe try to find a central location, then choose from there?
If I can make it, I'm coming from the NW suburbs...
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

I am coming from CT but I am staying with Paula (PSWLRW) and she is in NH. She is on island now or just getting back so I will defer to her. I am not picky.
pswlrw

Post by pswlrw »

Hey X,

I'm not there yet. Just 2 more weeks :D

While I love the South End restaurants, I am a little concerned about parking. As corny as it sounds, maybe Fanueil Hall? There are a bunch of restaurants nearby and a big parking garage. While I do live in NH, it is only 35 minutes away on a Saturday, so that's not a problem.
Paula

pswlrw

Post by pswlrw »

Jimg20 - we are you staying? Maybe that would be a good starting point :)
Paula

Kathyzhere

Post by Kathyzhere »

Aaaww, wish we'd be up that way then. Probably not until Sept/Oct. Anyway, soundks like FUN and we'll be there in "spirit" with our "fellow New Englandahs"!! :wink:
Have a blast!!

Kathy
jimg20

Post by jimg20 »

We are coming from NW Arkansas :lol: , but we are staying in a downtown hotel (Colonnade Hotel, 120 Huntington Ave, 617-424-7000 just south of the Prudential Center).

We have no problem getting ourselves from place to place, but we will not have a car. Whether we take the T or a cab or someone picks us up, we will be there. It looks like Fanuil Hall is a little more than walking distance (about 2 miles) but a short cab ride from the hotel. Now two miles is not a long walk ordinarily, but after walking the exhibit hall for six hours I think we will have had enough walking.

JIM