How long to JVD from STG?

Travel discussion for St. John
Kentuckygirl

How long to JVD from STG?

Post by Kentuckygirl »

We are trying to decide whether to go by sail or by motor from St. John to JVD. We would probably hire a captain either way, and plan to do some snorkeling along the way. I may prefer to sail, but how much longer would it take? How long would it take to get back? Any suggestions? Thanks!!!
Image[/url]
Maryanne

Post by Maryanne »

I've sailed it, but it was in a pretty big boat and didn't take long at all.

It's eight miles between the two islands, if that helps.
Kentuckygirl

Post by Kentuckygirl »

Thank you Maryanne! That does help.
sunlover

Post by sunlover »

We've done both. The sail took us about an hour and a half -- maybe a little more. Last March, we used Josh with "Noshooz." The sail was spectacular! We would definitely use him again if we would want to go the sailing route.

This past trip, there were 8 of us, so sailing was not an option (most charters only take 6 people). We used oceanrunnersvi and were completely delighted. It was also a bit more inexpensive than the sail. It took just 20 minutes, and we took the "scenic" route along the north shore of st. john then cut across to jost. We really enjoyed this, since we had more time for painkillers. I think our group may have set a record at the soggy dollar!
Kentuckygirl

Post by Kentuckygirl »

Thank you sunlover. I haven't heard of noshooz. I will definitely check into that. I don't think either way will be cheap with just 2 of us. I still haven't decided which way will suit us better. I think we'd really enjoy the sail, but I know we are not going to be ready to leave Jost! I wish there was a way to sail there, and motor back :)
Did both noshooz and oceanrunners let you choose exactly where you want to go?
sunlover

Post by sunlover »

You can choose where you go, either way. We just did a quick stop at foxy's then went directly to the soggy dollar... I imagine the sail may be VERY expensive for just two people --it was 130 per person, I believe, for 6 of us. I think that is still pretty standard for a daysail.