Willy T

Travel discussion for St. John
KROBI

Willy T

Post by KROBI »

Anyone go to Willy T? and if so, how the best way to get there? We were thinking about renting a power boat for a day, can someoe recommend a place to rent and what is required for rental.
Thanks
Kenny
TropicAtHeart

Post by TropicAtHeart »

We've been to the Willy T, but arrived on a group charter. Food was good. Wasn't a wild party place at that time like we were warned about. Was quite tranquil. No one jumping off the back of the ship. In fact, I don't know if they even allow that anymore since some have gotten hurt.
ccasebolt

Post by ccasebolt »

I'd go with either Ocean Runner or Nauti Nymph (both in Cruz Bay). They will give you detailed maps to use for navigation.

The quickest way to get to Norman Island is to head south out of Cruz Bay (take a left) and travel along the south shore of St John. When you pass Ram Head/mouth of Coral Bay, you will be able to see Norman Island in front of you. The northern-most (left) point of the island that you will see is Treasure Point. As you get closer, you will see the Caves along the shoreline with the point on the left. The Bight is the bay directly around the point. The Willy T is located well inside the bay on the right side as you're facing the shore.
ccasebolt

Post by ccasebolt »

I forgot to mention that you will have to clear BVI customs before heading to Norman Island. You can do this at either the West End of Tortola or Roadtown. Don't want you to get into trouble, so don't go straight to Norman from STJ.
RickG

Post by RickG »

We went there with Palm Tree Charters Easter Week. It was a very busy time with some big boats in right after us. We got our order in and were served briskly. Its good chow and the kids liked it.

We checked in at Sopers Hole on Tortola before popping over.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
tothectothec

willy t

Post by tothectothec »

It's a fun place!! I've been there when it's very quiet and also a very very party party going on( mostly on sundays) some people get naked and jump into the water. So if that will bother you I would suggest not going.
ccasebolt

Post by ccasebolt »

They were doing body shots on the bar when we were there on a Monday night. I'll bet it gets even more crazy on Saturday nights when The Bight is full of charters on their first night out.
Bob & Anita

Post by Bob & Anita »

ccasebolt wrote:The quickest way to get to Norman Island is to head south out of Cruz Bay (take a left) and travel along the south shore of St John. When you pass Ram Head/mouth of Coral Bay, you will be able to see Norman Island in front of you.
By law you must clear customs before going to Willie T's, so you should go to the customs office at either Jost Van Dyke or Tortola first. At that point you just head down the Drake Channel to Norman Island.

The map below has our tracks from our little GPS that we took with us when we rented a boat from Ocean Runner. We cleared customs on Tortola but had since found out that the office on Jost is better. We have a list of latitudes/longitudes for most common places to boat to in the VI's if anyone wants them, just PM or email us with your email address.

Bob & Anita
hlsess

Post by hlsess »

we were at Willy T on 3/18 and kids jumped off the top- food was decent- crowds were big b/c it was rough on the waters- fun place- good strong drinks