Will the IRS now own the Beach Bar?

Travel discussion for St. John
jimg20

Post by jimg20 »

A police investigator friend of mine told me that in his 17 years of police work he found that these people do these things because they genuinely do not believe they can be caught.

JIM
Man it's like some dream we live down here....

alw1977

Post by alw1977 »

"A police investigator friend of mine told me that in his 17 years of police work he found that these people do these things because they genuinely do not believe they can be caught."

Jim, funny story. Right before my sister closed her restaurant, they had a waiter who was caught adding/changing a number before running people's tips. So a $5 tip would become $15, a $15 tip would become $75, etc. They got the security tapes, called some customers who'd been victims, rounded up the 35 receipts he'd forged, and called the cops.

When confronted, the cop spoke to the waiter for a while. My BIL, an accountant (read: stickler for numbers) who is quite confrontational, got the chance to ask his now former employee a question or two. BIL asked him why in the world he would do this. With big, tear-filled eyes, the waiter said "I didn't think you'd catch me!"

One of many stories that have led me to realize that, in most cases, opening a restaurant is pure madness.
kirk

Post by kirk »

The lesson here is, if you're going to cook the books, don't keep the un-cooked ones in the same safe.
kirk
cypressgirl

Post by cypressgirl »

Wasn't there a post a long time ago about what kind of business we'd open on STJ if we had the $$?? I see an oppertunity for a lot of forum folks to pool their resources and open a business. We could get Kirk to run it. :D I know B-as-u-r has also been looking for something to do down there. I was just telling my husband, while having another painkiller on one of those white bar stools, that "this place is a gold mine".

Seriously, what a shame!
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

For the original post: the IRB is not the IRS -- it is the local Virgin Islands Internal Revenue Bureau which is where VI residents send their income tax money. Same crime though -- same tax policy.
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

cptnkirk wrote:Hey Jorge,
Exactly what kind of "buds" does this guy give out at x-mas?

jofus

Thats funny :lol: :lol: :lol:
You think he's kidding? Check this thread on the Off Topic forum: :lol: :shock: :lol:

http://www.virgin-islands-on-line.com/f ... light=gift[/b]

Last bumped by Anonymous on Fri Jul 14, 2023 11:14 pm.