DELETED

Travel discussion for St. John
DELETED

Tektite Talk

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
mathayom

Post by mathayom »

I have not heard of this. Can you elaborate what is tektite?
Mat the Caterer, Private Chef and Drummer
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
mathayom

Post by mathayom »

Oh, I HAVE heard of this. Isn't it out by Lambshure?
Mat the Caterer, Private Chef and Drummer
Tracy in WI

Post by Tracy in WI »

On our second trip to STJ we did a boat trip to the BVI's and back around the South Shore of the island. The captain we had told us he worked on Tektite back when it was in operation. I can't remember his name, but I believe the name of the boat was "Off the Hook". He didn't own it, just captained it that day with his wife.

This was in 2003 so I don't know if he is on island anymore or if there is an easy way to get in touch with him, but he might be a good person to talk with or hire. We booked the boat through Connections on STJ at the time. If you're interested, you may want to check with them.

Tracy
Tracy, Seaside Properties at Grande Bay
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

We hiked out and snorkeled Tektite in October. The snorkel is really good--you can go into cave-like areas that are filled on both sides with crusting sponges and corals. It's very different from other areas.

That said, I don't think we will go back unless we go by boat. The walk out is not HARD, really, but it is all rocks and can be slippery. At times, you have to climb up and over rocks that are taller than a person. Sometimes you have to jump from one rock to another. It just seemed like the chances of slipping/falling were pretty good, and there's nobody around to help you if something happens.

Just my opinion...
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
RickG

Post by RickG »

I've always wanted to go there since I first read about it in 1997 in the Off the Beaten Path. Here's Gerald Singer's current writeup on how to get there:

http://seestjohn.com/snorkeling_tektite.html

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
lark22

Post by lark22 »

We did Tektite in December and our take on it was the same as Becky's – great snorkel, but kind of a rough walk over there. The snorkel was so nice that I would have preferred to have been more rested/fresh at the start of the snorkel – I got tired more quickly than usual because of the hike. A boat arrival would be ideal.

Still, I'd say it's worth doing, as long as you're careful and take it easy during the rock scramble part. (We followed Gerald Singer's 'Off the Beaten Track' directions/advice and found them to be very accurate and easy to follow.)
RickG

Post by RickG »

Singer mentions a mooring ball over that way. So, a boat my be a good approach.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

There is a mooring ball quite close and 2 more within a reasonable snorkle. The fish and coral are abundant - the concrete moorings of the original site are still visible but of little interest as far as searching them out. Go by boat for sure or you could leisurely work your way out from the VIERS beach and it is a long but generally protected swim.
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

There is one mooring ball in the middle of the bay. No matter if you approach by boat or foot, you still have to swim a ways to the interesting caves.

John and I were so annoyingly amused when we hiked into the water entry for Tektite...only to find an Ocean Runner hooking up to the one mooring Here we were COATED in sweat and they were jumping off the back of the boat with their obnoxious teenage daughter.

Why obnoxious?? Because she kept yelling at us. "Sharks! Sharks in the water! Don't come in!!" SOOO rude. :x

And then, we had the very bad misfortune to encounter them again close to the end of the day at the mooring ball to the right of Gibney where "Miss Thing" once again attempted to ward us off with her "shark" yelling.

Gargh. I need a vacation. Wait.... :D
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

This is what I wrote in my June 2007 trip report:

Tektite/Donkey Bight/Beehive Cove
This year was the first time we did this snorkel. The hike over the rocks and boulders to get there was fairly strenuous (especially in the heat and humidity of the afternoon), and unfortunately it wasn't worth it. I've heard great things about this snorkel in regards to the creatures other people have seen there, but I was pretty disappointed. I don't know if it was the wrong time of day or what, but the only thing of note that we saw the entire snorkel was one barracuda and one small turtle.
pjayer

Post by pjayer »

Liamsaunt - We are thinking about stopping there by boat in July. Do you think it's worth it? I'm now torn between seeing how much snorkeling I can get in and hanging around on White Bay most of the day.

We had the same experience with 2 kids on Jumbie last year. There was a teenage daughter and her younger brother who argued the entire time on the beach. Finally, their parents left, probably because they couldn't stand it anymore. Thankfully, we didn't run into them again.

I assume this girl's parents were oblivious to her behavior. Probably thought it was cute. That is rude. Jeez!
When the end of the world comes, I want to be in Kentucky, because everything there happens 20 years after it happens anywhere else. – Mark Twain