Ferry Questions

Travel discussion for St. John
waterbaby

Ferry Questions

Post by waterbaby »

Hello All, Unfortunately AA has made some changes to our flights and now we don't arrive St. Thomas until 3:15pm on Friday.

The company that manages Palladio's View is telling us to take the Red Hook Ferry, but by looking at the timing we'd we looking at the 5pm ferry. I think we should shoot for the 4PM leaving Charlotte Amalie?? Is this even doable? We are going carry-on only.

They also are telling us that St. John Car Rental will probably be closed and we'll have to come back on Saturday to do the paperwork. That's ok, so long as our greeter has our car keys.

Also, our departing flight from St. Thomas leaves at 2:50pm on June 3rd. What time should we depart Cruz Bay? And should we take the Red Hook or the Charlotte Amalie Ferry?

Thanks for all you help with all my first timer, Newbie questions! :) Paula
VayCay

Post by VayCay »

waterbaby...AA did this to me also, except they moved us from 1pm arrival to a 7pm arrival. I was freaked!!

Called them the next morning and they were VERY helpful, in fact I was shocked at how much they did. We booked a bargain bottom price flight with 2 layovers so we figured they wouldn't do anything except apologize. But in fact they rescheduled us so that we had only one layover and arrive at noon, an hour earlier than expected!

So I think your first step should be contact American.

As for the other stuff....I'm a June Newbie also, so i'm sure others will chime in, and i will lurk :)

Goodluck,

VayCay
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

Since you're doing carry-on, if your flight is on time, I think you could make the 4:00 ferry from Charlotte Amalie. I can't advise you on the ferry back though, sorry :)
Gizzmo

Post by Gizzmo »

Unless there has been a BIG CHANGE in the last 6 months the CA ferry is unreliable, takes twice the time to Cruz Bay from STT and cost more. The ferrys at Red Hook are always on time and faster. I have had the pleasure of being on the CA ferry and will not do it again UNLESS I am on STJ and want to go to CA and shop. (Which will never happen!) Leave that place for the cruise ship tourist and take the Red Hook... :wink: As far as the car rental, have your villa agent pick up the keys and do the paperwork the next day.
NO WORRIES MON! :wink: :wink:
My Avatar is my Corona moment......
brenda

Post by brenda »

I agree with CG, you might be able to make the 4:00pm CA ferry if everything goes smoothly and your flight is on time. That is something I would decide after you land. That ferry does run less at times I would think especially now in the off season and with the gas prices. You can ask at the taxi dispatch area which would work.

As for on the way home, I would either take the 11:00am to Red Hook or the 11:15 to Charlotte Amalie for that flight time. We took the 11:15 to CA yesterday for a 2:25pm flight and had no extra time after we waited in line forever for a cheeseburger and had to inhale it in a few minutes. We should have eaten before, but the morning was busy. That said, it should be a lot less busy on a weekday. I would still go with one of those ferrys to not push it.
Going "home" again October 26th!
bevm

Post by bevm »

I think you'll be able to make the 4:00 CA ferry . We had a 2:50 return flight also and got the 11:00 CA ferry and had an hour or so wait at the airport. It's only a 10 minute cab ride from CA to the airport. Allow enough time for customs, especially if your leaving on a weekend. I'd rather wait at the airport then be rushing and worried that I might miss the flight.
I disagree Gizzmo about the downtown ferry. It's a matter of opinion... I'd rather have the long ferry ride and chill than that cab ride to Red Hook with all of the stops. Just ask at the airport if the CA ferry is running.
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

On your way home, be sure to get a porter at the airport and tip him $20. He will get you past all the lines and through TSA and customs in nothing flat. It's SO worth it! :D

Last bumped by Anonymous on Thu Dec 21, 2023 3:59 pm.