Flight schedule change - need a question answered

Travel discussion for St. John
California Girl

Flight schedule change - need a question answered

Post by California Girl »

Well, I logged on to Continental yesterday to check my reservations for next April and there had been a change in my return trip. The first leg of my return was still as I chose it...leave STT at 1:50 p.m. and arrive in San Juan at 2-something. Now here's where it gets interesting... the change in my schedule had my connecting fight from SJU to Newark leaving 5 hours before I got there at 9-something a.m.!! :shock:

So I got on the phone on the 4th of July and waited on hold for about 20 min. before I got a representative. She was super nice! Unfortunately, unless I changed my return to Tuesday from Monday, we had to change the entire return so now we leave STT at 9:50 a.m. Ok, not what I wanted, but acceptable. I said, ok, but had her mark my account so I can still change to a Tuesday return without any extra fees (and I'm still considering that).

So this morning I log on to Continental again and I see that my connect time at EWR is only 35 minutes!! EEEK!! I could never make that connection in LA, Houston or Chicago.... can I make it in Newark??

It seems like the Jumbies might be putting some juju on me so I have to stay in the islands one more day... how sad is that! LOL!

Opinions please!! :D
DaveS007

Post by DaveS007 »

Personnaly I wouldn't go to crazy. Between now and April, the way things are going, it will probably change yet again.
California Girl

Thanks Dave. Actually, I'm not going crazy. I know that the schedule might change several times again. The Continental lady & I even discussed that. My concern here is the 35 min. in Newark and if it can be done? Other than that I'm fine with it as it is. :D

I might also just be looking for an excuse to stay another day :lol:
DaveS007

Post by DaveS007 »

Didn't mean to imply you were stressin'... Re Newark, I would liken it to the other major airports. 35 minutes would work if your gate is close, otherwise ??

But as we like to say... no worries.
nothintolose

Post by nothintolose »

We are finding lately that unless you are there (at the gate) within reasonable time, the airlines are giving seats up to people on standby...even if we could have made it.

Hopefully, between now and then it will work out fine. If you don't make your connection, make them fly you to New Orleans and join us for fest :wink:
RickG

Post by RickG »

At this point I'm checking my itineraries every week and adjusting as necessary. It's frustrating, but it really is becoming the norm. We are also doing more mixed airline itineraries to get the best prices, which add complexity. The trick is to make certain you get the record locator number for the actual flight from the actual flight operator, rather than just the code share.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
California Girl

Rick - You're a hell of a lot braver than I am. I had to make some complicated travel arrangements for my boss to fly to Greece, and I was obligated to do it through Orbitz. It became a nightmare and I was really glad to have those record locator numbers when connecting flights in-between got completely canceled. What a headache. So although I check and compare fares on Orbitz, Travelocity, etc., I ALWAYS go directly to the airline to make my reservations. For me it's too dicey to do all those weird connections when you KNOW there will inevitably be changes before you actually fly. But I do admire you for being able to juggle all that without going stark staring crazy! :lol:
WSUbeachcoug

Post by WSUbeachcoug »

I am no expert, but this year when we made our first trip to St John we came thru Newark.
Coming home we took off on time in St Thomas but coming into Newark we circled around for about a half an hour. We have flown into Newark four times in the last couple of years and never been on time, and on a business trip missed our connecting flight and they(Continental) did not want to get us to our destination for three days!
Coming and going to St John I booked a hotel and stayed in New York overnight. Just to be safe!
Just my limited experience.
Good Luck!
tjwgrr

Post by tjwgrr »

Continental changed our itinerary too. Our Monday 5/4 STT-EWR nonstop was canceled. Now we're Sunday 5/3 on the STT-EWR nonstop. Still OK since we're now Sun 4/26 to Sun 5/3= 7 days. We originally booked the Mon 5/4 return because it was the only available day to redeem FF miles....

Looks like CO will only operate nonstop to STT from EWR on FRI/ SAT/ SUN starting in May. Historically they haven't reduced flights until later in the season, but times are very different.
California Girl

I just got off the phone with Continental again and I got our return flight changed back to the original times only going out on Tuesday instead of Monday (at no extra charge). Oh bummer... we have to stay in the islands an extra day. :roll: :lol:

I'm quite positive I'll have to get on the phone with Continental several more times before our flight is actually wheels up, but at least now I know to stay on top of it weekly! Ahhh... a new hobby... flight watching! LOL!
Barb Y

Post by Barb Y »

CA Girl I guess the Jumbies must want you to stay a bit longer. That kind of Ju Ju has got to be good. I am so glad to see you have your next trip in the works. :D
California Girl

Thanks Barb! I'm glad too! Gotta love those Jumbies! :D
pswlrw

Post by pswlrw »

Two cousins for our April 09 trip booked a few weeks ago, leaving LA at 8:45 am getting into STT at 8:00. Well, AA changed their flight and now they get in at 9:55 p.m. This arrival times makes me very nervous about them making the last ferry. Do you think they'll make it, or should I follow my instincts and suggest that call AA and get on an overnight flight on Friday?
Paula

California Girl

Well, I fly from California and do an overnight so I can get in in the afternoon. But before they change to an overnight flight, I think I'd call AA and see if there's anything they can do to get them back on an earlier flight. Good luck! :)

Last bumped by Anonymous on Wed Dec 20, 2023 7:41 pm.