This Bugs Funny!

Travel discussion for St. John
parafins

This Bugs Funny!

Post by parafins »

Does anyone know what this bug is?My wife found this bug inside our cottage at Cinnamon Bay camps back in June.[/img]http://i120.photobucket.comImage
HELLO FROM MICHIGAN...
Coden

Post by Coden »

Yes, it is an icky bug. Yuck!!! :lol:
Coden
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Mutant Florida Lovebug?? :lol:

Last trip, John told me not to come anywhere near the kitchen while he liberated a giant...bug. He made a sling out of paper towels to get it outside--I could see various waving appendages as it made its way outdoors.

And then there was the morning that we woke up to find a four inch long...cricket thing on the wall--we threw it outside, and then were later chastised by people we met on island for doing so. They told us if you find one of those bugs in your house it means you are going to come into money. They told us we threw our money out the door! Oops... :?
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

I don't know what kind of bug that is, either, but it sure is pretty!
GidgetPicklebrain

Post by GidgetPicklebrain »

After much researching, I found it!

Spotted Oleander Caterpillar Moth Empyreuma affinis)
http://bugguide.net/node/view/10160/bgimage

Tell her what she's won, Don.....
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. - Confucius

sitter

Post by sitter »

I may never be invited back to Cinnamon Campground again for what i did.....B4 we even opened our suitcases, I sprayed a whole can of RAID around the whole room & under the beds & on all the screens & on the floor so NO bugs would feel welcome in our room!!

At night I think they all ganged up on me & ate me alive!! I came home with more bug bites on me than my 2 daughters & husband put together!! I still have scars & it's been over a month!!
parafins

The bug..

Post by parafins »

Thank you for the info. on the red fly/bug.My wife has corrected me about where the picture was taken.The bug was on the deck of San Constanso {I just know I spelled it that name wrong..}.The villa is on a hill facing Fish Bay.We spent the first night at Cinnamon camps and the rest of our trip was spent at Fish Bay.Cinnamon did have some bugs,but I spent my youth camping and bugs don't bother me much. Thanks a bunch. :lol: Dan..
HELLO FROM MICHIGAN...
toni

Post by toni »

parafins-how did you like that villa? were bugs an issue? we just stayed on the rendezvous bay side of ditliff, wondered how the other side was. thanks for any info!
parafins

San Costanzo villa

Post by parafins »

Toni,San Costanzo villa was nicer than the on-line pictures!There were 7 of us staying there back in June.My wife and I had the master bedroom.Our three children slept on the living room furniture and my sister-in-law,and a friend of my wife's had the lower two bedrooms.No bugs,very clean great views.We did have a few very small ants,but all the villas we've stayed at in the past had them.We rented from Sea View Homes.The road up to there is hilly,with two blind spots,but I like the adventure!
Best wishes Dan {parafins}
p.s. I just wanted to thank Gidget picklebrain for the bug info! :lol:
HELLO FROM MICHIGAN...
parafins

Toni about the P.S.

Post by parafins »

The P.S.That I just wrote should have said..Again I would like to thank Gidget Picklebrain for the bug info! Sorry about that.It kinda looked rude. :oops:
Dan
HELLO FROM MICHIGAN...
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Post by Marcia (Mrs. Pete) »

Have you ever seen a "real live" scorpion? OH JOY, to find one in our sink one morning at a villa in STJ.
Like so many of the villa pictures before you arrive seem to not capture the wonder of the reality, so be it, with a real LIVE scorpion. Forget "National Geographic." The reality is so far superior to the media.
And this, from someone with a late October birthday...

You should never trust anything with more than four appendages or pincers.

Marcia
cat

Post by cat »

My husband had a scorpion in his swim suit one morning! I sure was glad he shook it out before he put it on! I got bit by something that needed antibiotics to get healed up and left a big round scar on my leg. My mom got bit by something and had to get shots and antibiotics. Just be careful of the creepy crawlers! I'm going back this summer so they didn't scare me that much!
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

GidgetPicklebrain you are amazing! I love bugs too! We usually "catch & release" bugs (except those big black roaches you get by the beach, which get the Raid treatment!) :P

Last bumped by Anonymous on Fri Aug 18, 2023 12:45 am.