Security/ damage deposit advice

Travel discussion for St. John
tjwgrr

Security/ damage deposit advice

Post by tjwgrr »

In the past, I've either written a separate check or I've given my credit card info for a security/ damage deposit. The uncashed check is then returned (or the CC is not charged) after the rental.

I'm being asked to send a single check for 50% of the rental, plus 8% tax, plus 50% of the damage deposit to initially reserve a villa.

Anyone else have this experience, and did you question it?

I guess I don't see the need to pay the damage deposit until the last payment is due, whether it's cashed or not, (nor really the 8% tax either.)
Lulu76

Post by Lulu76 »

Everywhere that we have rented, we have sent a check for 1/2 of the rental price (plus tax) to reserve it. Then 30 or 60 days out (depending on the management company), you send a check for the balance plus a seperate check for the damage deposit that will presumably never be cashed. At least that has been my experience so far, and we have rented from two different companies.
promoguy

Post by promoguy »

Can't speak to the security deposit, but when we rent at Gallows the final payment due before we leave for the VI's includes the 8pct tax.

See if they'll take a separate check for the deposit.
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

It depends on the agent but we've had the following:

*50% of rate NO tax included, balance due 30 days including other 50% & the 8% tax (windspree)

*50% of rate with tax included, balance due 60 days (viva)

*50% of rate with tax included, balance due 30 days (Destination St. John)

As for the security deposit we have always been able to use our Credit Card or a check but it's never been 50% of the rental. More like $500 or $1000 if a check. Of course, the CC deposit is open ended. We've even had different security deposit arrangements with the same agency. I think the home owners may have some say in how/what they do.
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

I would not be happy about paying any portion of the security deposit so far out.

In February, Viva required the deposit 60 days ahead of time and they did cash the check.
tjwgrr

Post by tjwgrr »

PA Girl wrote:I would not be happy about paying any portion of the security deposit so far out.

In February, Viva required the deposit 60 days ahead of time and they did cash the check.
Yeah, I do have a problem with cashing a check which includes 50% of the damage deposit 9+ months out. I guess I can live with cashing the entire damage deposit 60 days out.
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

I have never had any company actually cash the damage deposit check. Ever. I would not be happy about that unless we actually did damage.
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

Feb was our first time that we had to pay a security deposit. I had hoped we could just give a cc # but they required cash.

What got me a bit spun up over this issue was the greeter stressing (over and over and over) that we would be charged for missing items (especially towels at $50 or $100 each) and breakage.

As soon as the greeter left, we discovered missing towels, incomplete glassware, etc. I called the agency right away to report what we discovered. I was told to look harder, that the missing items absolutely had to be at the house. My first thought was "great, I am going to get charged $XXX dollars for those darn beach towels" Next time, I will inventory the house prior to the greeter leaving.

All worked out in the end. I think they notified me a week after we got home that the deposit would be refunded via check.
Lulu76

Post by Lulu76 »

DSJ told me that the have very rarely cashed a deposit check and ours was returned to us despite the fact that on the last day we were there I sat in my normal chair to drink my cup of coffee and the darn thing broke in half. I really fretted about how much that $5 beach chair was going to cost me, but they sent my check back.

On our last trip, a few of the girls tried to check in early because they got on island before all of us. Because the villa was in my name, I told them under no circumstances was anyone checking in without me. A girl who was with me is a hotel manager, and she and I did a really good inspection before our greeter left the house. If I was responsible for the damage, I was doing my best to make sure there was none. Trust me, by the end of the trip, I didn't really have $500 to give them!
RickG

Post by RickG »

14 trips so far, never had a problem with security deposits. But I have NEVER paid a security deposit earlier than 45 days before arrival. I pay 8% tax in last payment.

Some of the management companies have moved to $35 fees as a damage waiver. I like that better. Glasses always break, especially those 5 year old plastic glasses that have been through the dish washer.

I would just tell the management company (who is it?) that I will:

- pay 50% deposit up front

- pay remaining 50%, 8% VI tax and damage deposit 30 days ahead, with a separate check for damage deposit.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

Having experienced both, I also like the $35 fee over a deposit.

Maybe it is just a coincidence but the three, $35 fee rentals had decent towels and kitchen outfits. Things matched and were of good quality. One could tell someone was paying attention to replacing things as needed.

Our $1,000 security “don’t steal the towels or break a glass” rental had cr_ppy kitchen stuff and not enough towels. This gave the impression that someone did not want to replace things as needed.
tjwgrr

Post by tjwgrr »

RickG wrote:I would just tell the management company (who is it?) that I will:

- pay 50% deposit up front

- pay remaining 50%, 8% VI tax and damage deposit 30 days ahead, with a separate check for damage deposit.

Cheers, RickG
-----

I pretty much did- haven't heard back yet. I was wondering how firm I should get and I wanted some advice from this forum.

We're renting directly from the owner, and at this point I'd rather not say who it is in order to allow them to respond. The villa has had all very positive reviews (including here) with no problems mentioned regarding deposits and such.

Thanks everyone!
Lulu76

Post by Lulu76 »

Well, my suggestion was going to be that you see if the villa is listed with another booking agency with more favorable terms. Sometimes that works.

I am renting directly from the owner this time, as well, and they didn't ask us for anything but the 50% plus tax up front, although they did add in a nominal cleaning fee to our cost. I thought it was reasonable, because their rates are lower than comparable villas, and I know a lot of that is renting directly.

Now, I will say that one villa we looked at the owners charged more than the management company, which I thought was super odd. I did finally get to the bottom of it, but the whole process confused me to death. We ended up not choosing it because I felt like we wouldn't get good breezes there, and I like good breezes.
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

Rick is right on as usual. I forgot about the $35 waiver. That's what Viva does. $35 damage waiver and $35 booking fee.
TideDrifter

Research? Anyone?

Post by TideDrifter »

I just did some research after realizing that we too paid 50% of the total booking (rent+tax+deposit) at the time of making the reservation and our balance was due 60 days before our arrival.

Here is some interesting reading and some links that will take you straight to the source:

"...I just now went to their website and saw that Viva! Villas policy is identical to the one we signed with the owner of Caneel Trailside Cottage. From Vivas! Website: “Deposits/Payments - Half of the total balance must be received one week after the reservation has been made along with your signed contract. The final payment must be received 60 days prior to your arrival.”

Here is the link to the Viva! Villas policy:

www.vivacations.com/Agree.aspx

Another villa we looked at was with Catered To (Blue Tang Villa). Their website states a nearly identical policy (except they also charge a non-refundable “reservation fee”): “Reservations - 50% of the full rental amount, the Reservation Fee and Security Deposit Waiver Fee is required to make a reservation. The balance is due 60 days before the rental date.”

Here is the link to Catered To policy:

http://cateredto.com/Rental_Policy.htm

Consider the source, that’s what I always say.