Hook Bracelets

Travel discussion for St. John
pjayer

Hook Bracelets

Post by pjayer »

Twice in the past week, I've seen women wearing hook bracelets. The first person didn't even know what it was when I asked her about it. She said her husband had given it to her a few years ago, but she had never heard it called a hook. Yesterday, a woman working next to me at a swim meet had on a St. Croix hook bracelet with matching earrings.

So, I'm pretty sure these are signs from the jewelry gods that I need to buy one for myself on this trip. :) Could I get some forum opinions as to the best shops on STJ to find one? Thanks.
When the end of the world comes, I want to be in Kentucky, because everything there happens 20 years after it happens anywhere else. – Mark Twain
chrisn

Post by chrisn »

You'll get lots of varying opinions on this and there are certainly a lot to choose from but the Drama Girl and I are particulary fond of our "J" hooks because they represent St. John specifically. You can find them at Freebird. I've had mine for over two years now and as beautiful as the day I bought it.
Ksea

Post by Ksea »

We got mine at Freebird. They have many types and sizes to choose from. Freebird is in the Beach Bar shopping center as I call it.
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

I got mine at Palm Jewelers. It's not a "J" hook, and I sort of wish it was. The hook is very smooth and can slip out of the loop, so I find myself constantly fidgeting with it to keep it in place. It's only come undone once, but now I'm paranoid. I love my bracelet, though, because it has a Larimar inlay and gold wire wrap, and it's bee-you-tee-fulll!
Shari

Post by Shari »

I got mine at Into the Blue last week. I bought several other pieces in their store also :)
nothintolose

Post by nothintolose »

I love the one CaliforniaGirl got but I also LOVE the one I got at Freebird. Part of the reason I chose it is because it has the piece that protects it from sliding and coming unhooked.

I don't have the "J" hook but I still love mine. I only take it off when I go in chlorine pools. One time I didn't, and it looked horrible afterwards. It happened to be while I was on STJ and I took it to Freebird. They polished it up and said it can go anywhere BUT chlorine pools...lesson learned.

Everytime I look at my wrist; I think of STJ :)
bj

Post by bj »

I got mine at Coral Bay Jewelers, they will inscribe the inside with a name or personal message at no extra charge!

http://stjohnjewelers.com/index.html
Peace,
bj
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

I got my j-hook bracelet at Caravan Gallery, upstairs at Mongoose Junction. It is silver, and the "j" part of the hook is gold. There's also some gold wire wrapped around to the side of the hook. I've had it for four years now, I think, and it still looks pretty new. I bought the thick one that is meant for men because I like it better.

I also have a bracelet from Coral Bay jewelers that I got on our first trip to St. John that I love but it is broken right now. It got too twisted taking off for the TSA people and now it won't stay closed. I keep meaning to bring it back and see if they can fix it for me. Have you guys seen these bracelets? I think some of them are really neat:

http://stjohnjewelers.com/Bracelets.htm

Mine is the Salt Pond Bay one. I really like the Round Bay one too. It matches the setting for my engagement ring.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
lazylane

Post by lazylane »

I got mine at Best of Both Worlds in Mongoose Junction. It is silver with gold hook and gold band and handcrafted.

http://www.thebestofstjohn.com/jewelry/ ... elets.html

I love the ones at Coral Bay jewelers also, so I am saving for that one this year! I never take mine off!
Pickle

Post by Pickle »

I got one from Caravan Gallery and another one (the same one that California Girl got and it's beautiful) from Palm Jewelers and I love them both. I wear the one from Caravan Gallery all the time since it stays put and is actually hard to take off. That said, I've never had a "slipping out" problem with the one from Palm Jewelers.

Coral Bay Jewelers offers beautifully designed St. John Bay bracelets and I've always wanted one but haven't gotten it... yet.
Patty

Post by Patty »

I, too, got mine from Caravan three years ago and wear it all the time. The J hook is very sturdy and has never slipped undone. When I'm having a stressful moment, I rub my little bracelet and take a deep breath! Ahhhh...a moment in the islands!
AnyTing

Post by AnyTing »

I have the Maho Bay hook and the hammered hook from Palm. LOVE 'em.

http://www.palmjewelers.com/
Lulu76

Post by Lulu76 »

Mine is not a hook -- it is a Caribbean knot made by Caribbean Bracelet Company and purchased from Palm Jewelers, but they also have nice hooks there.

My next bracelet, however, will be from St. John Bracelet Company. I do love the ones from Caravan, as well, but she wasn't open when we were there.
sillymom

Post by sillymom »

I also got mine from Caravan Gallery .I love mine, and it is not completely smooth like most are. They have a website too.

Noel
Margy Z

Post by Margy Z »

I have the two-tone hugs and kisses and the two-tone Hurricane Marilyn, both from Sonya's. Hubs has the original hook, two-tone. This past trip we met Sonya, who at 75+ is still going strong and designing beautiful new pieces. She told us about her struggle to try to obtain a patent on the hook bracelet early on after she designed the original bracelet.

http://www.sonyaltd.com/