Lurker questions

Travel discussion for St. John
Tiger Prof.

Lurker questions

Post by Tiger Prof. »

Hi all - now that I have de-lurked (thanks X) and our trip is two weeks from today, I have some questions.

Is Salomon beach family friendly or still pretty much the unofficial clothing optional beach? We always go to Honeymoon, but recent trip reports have talked about crowds at Honeymoon so I was considering trying Salomon. However, we will have the kids ....

Has anyone hiked the Maria Hope trail recently? I found it on the Trail Bandit Map and was wondering what condition the trail is in since it is not a NP trail.

Thanks for your help.
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

I've been to soloman a bunch of time and never seen any nekidness
budman

Post by budman »

Hey Professor,

I have to turn the clock back maybe 25 years, but a group of us were staying at Cinnamon Bay Campgrounds and we hiked up Cinnamon Bay trail and back down Maria Hope trail. We hiked all over the island back in those days and I don't remember it being too difficult, of course we were probably 19 or 20. We are visiting soon and you have peaked my interest. We're staying up on Bordeaux this year and I WILL do this hike this year! If you can wait until August I'll report back.

As far as Salomon, there's a "chance" you will see a nude sunbather, but I think you will have the same chance at many other beaches. For the most part these folks are not exhibitionists, but if they are we pick up and move on.

Take care,
Budman
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Hi TigerProf,

You must be getting excited for your trip! I can't help you with the trail question because I am lazy :wink: but as far as Solomon goes, yes, sometimes there are nekkid people there--but I've never seen anyone being obnoxious about it. One time there was a naked man lying on the sand reading a newspaper! Really, though, you should go--it's a beautiful beach. You could theoretically encounter naked people on any beach...our last trip there was a completely naked woman on Caneel's Turtle Bay beach!! :shock:
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
mia

Post by mia »

Is there a trail or path from Gallows to Solomon? If so, how difficult is it? I have knee problems.....so I'm not much of a hiker :oops: Thanks.
It takes both the sun and the rain to make a beautiful rainbow. --Unknown
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

mia wrote:Is there a trail or path from Gallows to Solomon? If so, how difficult is it? I have knee problems.....so I'm not much of a hiker :oops: Thanks.
Mia, you could hike the Lind Point trail from town, it goes to Solomon. An easier option if you have knee issues would be to park at Caneel, hike to Honeymoon (flat trail), and then snorkel around the point to Solomon. It's easy and only takes about 5 minutes to swim it.
SusanNJ

Post by SusanNJ »

liamsaunt wrote:Hi TigerProf,

You must be getting excited for your trip! I can't help you with the trail question because I am lazy :wink: but as far as Solomon goes, yes, sometimes there are nekkid people there--but I've never seen anyone being obnoxious about it. One time there was a naked man lying on the sand reading a newspaper! Really, though, you should go--it's a beautiful beach. You could theoretically encounter naked people on any beach...our last trip there was a completely naked woman on Caneel's Turtle Bay beach!! :shock:
OMG - I can't believe there was a nekkid lady on Caneel's Turtle Bay Beach? Was she a guest? No one said anything? :shock:
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

When we were there in late June we decided to hike to Salomon and snorkel to Honeymoon…it had been 5 years since we’d done that and in the meantime we had gotten in the habit of doing the reverse (starting at Honeymoon and snorkeling to Salomon).

Much to my surprise, Salomon got pretty packed (by Salomon standards…there were 20 to 25 people there for much of the day) and when we snorkeled over the Honeymoon it was completely empty…we saw exactly zero people on the beach at Honeymoon, it was weird.

As for the nudity thing, we’ve vacationed on St. John for the past 6 years and we’ve seen nudity twice at Salomon…and both times it was brief thankfully.
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
CindyM

Post by CindyM »

In 2001 and 2002 we had some really bizarre encounters at Salomon. Since then, the NPS has cracked down and we haven't seen more than an occasional nude sunbather (usually getting ticketed). In the last couple of years, we took our teenage children there with no issues. We'll be on StJ next week, and Salomon is at the top of our list. It's one of our favorite beaches.
RickG

Post by RickG »

Here's a good note on the Maria Hope Road trail - http://www.seestjohn.com/trails_maria_hope.html

We have no experience there.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

OMG - I can't believe there was a nekkid lady on Caneel's Turtle Bay Beach? Was she a guest? No one said anything? :shock:[/quote]

It's true! I am assuming she was a guest. I don't know if she was naked the whole time she was on the beach. I just know she was naked while she walked down the beach and into the water! Everyone was :shock: I don't know what happened after that because I went snorkeling. I will say that she was exceedingly attractive so I am sure that the men on the beach were anxiously awaiting her return from her swim! :lol:
jimg20

Post by jimg20 »

liamsaunt wrote:OMG - I can't believe there was a nekkid lady on Caneel's Turtle Bay Beach? Was she a guest? No one said anything? :shock:
It's true! I am assuming she was a guest. I don't know if she was naked the whole time she was on the beach. I just know she was naked while she walked down the beach and into the water! Everyone was :shock: I don't know what happened after that because I went snorkeling. I will say that she was exceedingly attractive so I am sure that the men on the beach were anxiously awaiting her return from her swim! :lol:[/quote]

That's OK as long as she doesn't use any of the beach chairs. :lol: :lol: :lol:

JIM
Man it's like some dream we live down here....

rebelbeachgirl

Post by rebelbeachgirl »

We went to Salomon while we were there in mid-June. It is one of my favorite beaches now, and well worth the short hike on Lind Point Trail. We went early (8ish) and had the beach completely to ourselves for about 3 hours. By noon, there were about 10 other people who joined us, but by then we were ready to go eat lunch in town. I definitely recommend Salomon!
pjayer

Post by pjayer »

mia wrote:Is there a trail or path from Gallows to Solomon? If so, how difficult is it? I have knee problems.....so I'm not much of a hiker :oops: Thanks.
Mia, did you hurt your knee when you slipped and fell through the ice? :wink:

Love that avatar! :lol:
When the end of the world comes, I want to be in Kentucky, because everything there happens 20 years after it happens anywhere else. – Mark Twain
mia

Post by mia »

pjayer,

:lol: :lol: :lol:
It takes both the sun and the rain to make a beautiful rainbow. --Unknown