Friday Evening in Coral Bay: An Island State of Mind

Travel discussion for St. John
Randy in MD

Friday Evening in Coral Bay: An Island State of Mind

Post by Randy in MD »

There comes a point in everyone's trip to St. John when a smile comes over you and you know that you've achieved that elusive and much sought after "island state of mind". You all know it, and it makes you smile just to think about it. Since we started building our home here, that state has proved elusive. Too much business, too many things we "have" to do. Well... that feeling has returned. It happened this evening, unexpectedly and without planning... After breakfast, when the day began to cloud over (thanks Ike), I decided that I would finally pay a visit to our management company's office to discuss some business. I'd been avoiding it, not because I don't like them (I DO like them), but because I wanted to spend a visit here like I used to - pretty much carefree. And there's something about sitting down in an office, at a conference table, that doesn't exactly speak "carefree" to me. But - they were so nice to me on the phone yesterday and sounded like they were so disappointed that I wouldn't be stopping by, and Marcia developed villa gravity again after breakfast, and so I decided now was the time. So... I headed into Cruz Bay and we had a great visit and I left feeling very good about our little villa and everything going on here. I drove back to Coral Bay on the North Shore Road, and I started feeling those familiar feelings from many other visits over the years. I was home again. Once home, I checked the internet for news of the storms that are swirling about. Ike is passing far away - that's good! But back on the Chesapeake Bay, Hanna is speeding towards my Maryland home. I thought about our flight home tomorrow and I checked AA's website. There I found a Tropical Storm Travel Advisory. Anyone traveling into the DC area tomorrow can change their plans (without a fee). Cancellations and delays are expected up and down the coast. So - I called AA, and I changed our trip home to Sunday, same flights, same times. Our next villa guests don't arrive until Sunday afternoon, so I called our management company, Dependable Cars on St. Thomas, and most importantly, our dog sitter, and suddenly we've got an extra day on the island we love. Suddenly the evening got even brighter. We fired up the blender and with Orange-Mango rum drinks in hand, jumped in the pool and looked out over Coral Bay. In the distance, the music was beginning to drift up from Island Blues. Somebody was channeling Bob Dylan: The Times They are a Changin'. Yes they were...

As darkness fell, we retired to the inside of our home and put on some of the music I brought down this trip to enhance the villa's music library. I must say, that to me, there is no more pure musical bliss than listening to Derek and the Dominoes "Layla" on a great music system. And there's no drink better than a frozen Orange-Mango rum drink to bring out the exquisite guitar work in that album. Wow...

Now we've had our simple dinner, villa gravity style, and we're listening to the perfect Layla chaser: Pink Floyd "Wish You Were Here".

And that's the way we feel right now: Wish You Were Here, in an "Island State of Mind" with us...

We're not leaving tomorrow. We're spending another day on St. John. There's nothing more exquisite than that either...
nascarfan59

Post by nascarfan59 »

Enjoy all your the hard work you guys have put in.
I loved following your blog on the build.

God is great, beer is good, people are crazy.
augie

Post by augie »

"We're just two found souls,
Swimming in a rum bowl,
Year after year....
Come see us!
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

How perfect is that! Wish I was there, too! 8)
Nancy_B

Post by Nancy_B »

Lucky you! You deserve it and I'm glad to hear that that island state of mind has returned for you.

Enjoy your extra day and travel safe!
NancyB
NoTanLines

Re: Friday Evening in Coral Bay: An Island State of Mind

Post by NoTanLines »

RickG handed me his Blackberry this evening as we lingered over dinner and said read this. Randy, you brought a tear to my eye. Wish I was there too.

Cheers,
Christine
stjdeb

Post by stjdeb »

Exactly. . . . . .
Deb
luvinsun

Post by luvinsun »

very well said. Good for you. Have another drink for us.
Tami
Image[/url]
Lulu76

Post by Lulu76 »

That is absolutely perfect. Thanks for sharing. It moved me this morning.
pjayer

Post by pjayer »

Enjoying your daily updates. Sounds like a perfect, relaxing week on STJ. What villa do you own? I'm out of the loop on this one and can't find it in previous posts. Thanks and have a safe trip home.
When the end of the world comes, I want to be in Kentucky, because everything there happens 20 years after it happens anywhere else. – Mark Twain
silverheels

Post by silverheels »

The villa is Reef Madness and it's located in Coral Bay.
[/url]
pjayer

Post by pjayer »

I love that villa. No wonder they're so relaxed. :D Thanks, silverheels.
When the end of the world comes, I want to be in Kentucky, because everything there happens 20 years after it happens anywhere else. – Mark Twain
aroobagirl

Post by aroobagirl »

Eric Clapton and St John - Now that is a stellar combination!
cat

Post by cat »

What a perfect day! Thank you for sharing! Enjoy!!!!!!!!
chrisn

Re: Friday Evening in Coral Bay: An Island State of Mind

Post by chrisn »

Randy in MD wrote:we're listening to the perfect Layla chaser: Pink Floyd "Wish You Were Here".

And that's the way we feel right now: Wish You Were Here, in an "Island State of Mind" with us...
One of my all time faves! Just about says it all in my life right now. Think I'll bust out my Ipod.