Island Music

Travel discussion for St. John
nmclain1978

Island Music

Post by nmclain1978 »

I'm leaving in 37 days! I am putting together a list of songs for my hubby to download and make some CDs for our vaca. Anyone have any good ideas/suggestions for some fun island songs that they like to listen to down there.
Thank you very much!
RickG

Post by RickG »

Inner Visions! Street Corner Musicians is my favorite CD.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

The soundtrack to "50 First Dates" is excellent! :D
Lulu76

Post by Lulu76 »

I'm opening the iTunes up now, because the 50 First Dates soundtrack would be perfect.

I listen to a lot of Bob Marley and Jimmy Buffett down there. Just keeps me in the island state of mind.

As far as local music, I've been meaning to buy Gene's "Water Dancing" CD. I'm sure there are posts about it here, or someone can talk about it more than I can.
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

Add some Van Morrison and James Taylor & Bob Marley
*Another fine scatterbrained production
SusanNJ

Post by SusanNJ »

Besides stating the obvious (anything Jimmy Buffett) a great CD is 'Very Best of Toots & the Maytals'
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

Lulu76 wrote:I'm opening the iTunes up now, because the 50 First Dates soundtrack would be perfect.

I listen to a lot of Bob Marley and Jimmy Buffett down there. Just keeps me in the island state of mind.

As far as local music, I've been meaning to buy Gene's "Water Dancing" CD. I'm sure there are posts about it here, or someone can talk about it more than I can.
don't forget to use the itunes link that helps the forum. I just made a purchase too :)
Lulu76

Post by Lulu76 »

Oh, geez, I always forget that. (I think I had some trouble the one time I tried to use it, and then abandoned it.) I'll try again today.

I just hope Anthony gets credit for my ebags purchase. I tried to do it just as everyone told me.
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

See if you can find some old Bankie Banks from Anguilla or "The Harder They Come" by Jimmie Cliff.
alw1977

Post by alw1977 »

If you want some more current stuff, look up Stephen Marley's 2007 release called Mind Control. I love that album. Since I note you were born in 1978, you may like some dancehall or contemporary stuff more than traditional reggae. If so, Collie Buddz is decent (he's from Bermuda), and I personally like some Shaggy mixed in for fun.

I add the above in with my standard Bob Marley to make a really great mix. I have a 35-song playlist for our trip, and it includes a mix of older and current reggae.
nmclain1978

Post by nmclain1978 »

thank you all so much for the suggestions. I appreciate it!!! :)
aroobagirl

Post by aroobagirl »

Try the soundtrack from The Thomas Crown Affair - the new version with Pierce Brosnan. The island music is awesome!
Margy Z

Post by Margy Z »

All of the above - and Maxi Priest, UB40, Diana King, Big Mountain, some Sean Paul and don't forget Eek-a-Mouse. :lol:
Bill W

All good suggestions...

Post by Bill W »

...and I'd add any of the "Buena Vista Social Club" albums. They're Cuban jazz/pop in the 1950s pre-revolution genre. Nice to listen to on a patio overlooking the Caribbean with a nice cigar and a glass of rum.

One of my projects of late is to put together a collection of music by St. Johnians. I've got some Love City Pan Dragons already, and I'm planning to add some Innervisions and the "Water Dancing" CD by that guy Gene whose last name I can never remember. Any other suggestions of "home-grown" St. John music?
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

I forgot about Buena Vista Social Club! Now I'll have to dig my CD out! Thanks for the reminder! :D