I need a favor...a poultry-related favor

Travel discussion for St. John
Ron_L

Post by Ron_L »

How about a chicken (OK, rooster) out at Vie's?

...ron

Time to start working on convincing the wife that we have to go back soon!
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

Super Easy Chicken Pasta Salad

2 boneless chicken breasts, cooked and diced
1 cup dry pasta (about ½ pkg.) cooked (rainbow tortellis look pretty)
1 jar marinated artichoke hearts – chopped
1 can chopped black olives
1 pkg. crumbled Feta cheese
Mayonnaise & garlic (fresh or powder) to taste

Cook pasta while dicing chicken and chopping artichoke hearts. Combine all ingredients except pasta & mayonnaise.

When pasta is cooked, drain & cool. Combine cooked pasta with other ingredients, add mayonnaise & garlic until everything is well coated and to a consistency you like.

Serves 4
Margy Z

Post by Margy Z »

King of the Dumpster

Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

I majored in animal science in college. I took an animal handling class, and since I had already worked with beef cattle, pigs, and sheep a lot, on the lab days I was forced to work with animals I hadn’t dealt with much…namely chickens.

I already hated chickens for a couple reasons. First, when I was a kid I was traumatized by the chickens on my aunt’s farm. My mom’s side of the family is city people, and after retirement my mom’s sister and her husband (who grew up on a farm) bought a farm and had stupid chickens running all over creation. They pecked the crap out of me and I did not like it.

Secondly, coming from a beef cattle raising family (my dad’s side), I hated what the chicken industry did to the beef industry. With a lot of good marketing and politicking they convinced the American people that beef isn’t good for you and that chicken is, and per capita beef consumption dropped dramatically over the past few decades. I could go into many reasons why lean beef is much better for you than chicken, but I’ll leave that for another time.

In my chicken lab unit one of the things we did was post-mortem inspections on dead chickens…basically autopsies to figure out why the chickens died. There was one chicken I inspected and when I cut her open her entire insides were full of lots and lots of egg yolks…she kept ovulating eggs like chickens to every day, but she wasn’t laying them, they were just building up inside until it killed her.

But that isn’t even the story I was going to tell. One day we were in one of the chicken houses and this half dead chicken wandered up to the chicken professor. The chickens were free range, and contrary to what animal rights activists will tell you, being a free range chicken is not a pleasant experience. Chickens are nasty little creatures and when in groups they will peck each other to death. This chicken was bloody and in pretty bad shape so without skipping a beat the professor bent down, picked up the chicken, and snapped its neck. He didn’t stop talking or even acknowledge what he’d just done. I’ll never forget it.
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
California Girl

Psych! :shock:
cptnkirk

Post by cptnkirk »

Teresa Rae I read your post to my wife and she feels the same about chickens as she was pecked in her childhood and always talks about how dirty they are. You should see how she reacts when they are at a beach we are at.Had a cock fight at Maho right in front of us. I thought it was pretty cool she was less than amused by it. Always wanted to eat at Vie's but won't take her there for the chickens. She does like to eat chicken, probably makes her feel good to get back at them.
cass

Post by cass »

I'm not sure I like reading all this about chickens!! I love chicken!! I always order it in "shady" restaurants because I figure it is probably the hardest meat to fake (you know pass off dog as beef or pork or whatever). :shock:
"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears or the sea." -Isak Dinesen
California Girl

But Cass, isn' that how everything questionable is passed off? "Yeahhh, it tastes just like chicken! Go ahead. Eat it!" :twisted:
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

I really gotta wonder why we are having this chicken conversation? Is it just to find out why the chicken crossed the road? (no, seriously, why?)
mahojim

Post by mahojim »

Let me start by saying-PLEASE! You guys are HYSTERICAL! Holy Moly... :lol:
One story that I can put out there is my first date with my ex-wife,a vegetarian,unbeknownst to me at the time. We went out to dinner on our first date, and while looking over the menu, I saw a delicious looking chicken appetizer. I said, "Oooh, I love chicken!" She replied, "I love them, too. That's why I don't eat them."
The roller coaster ride kind of ended faster than I hoped! It was like being stuck upside down on one of those loopdy-loops.
Anyway, I had the chicken, and it was freakin' brilliant.
Miles of smiles-
MJ
Jo Ann - VA

Post by Jo Ann - VA »

I am the youngest in my family of 6. When Mom would fry chicken for Sunday dinner, the piece of chicken you got was determined by birth order. I always ended up with a wing or leg! I didn't even know chickens had breasts until my brothers and sisters moved out of the house. :oops:
Jo Ann
Always planning the next vacation...
AnyTing

Post by AnyTing »

Thanks to working parents, I was forced to start cooking for the entire family when I was 13. I was given no instructions, no cookbooks, just pointed toward the stove. Well, during my first week as "family chef" my mom left a whole chicken for me to cook. She set a packet of onion soup mix beside it. I had no freakin' idea what I was supposed to do with it. So, I did what any 13 year old would do. I made the soup and put the chicken in it. Whole. I stuck the whole thing in the oven. Basically boiled that chicken. When it was cooked, it was green and rubbery. Dad made us eat the whole thing. We must have seen that chicken show up on the table for 3 nights.

My brothers have never forgiven me for that horrific chicken.
StJohnRuth

Post by StJohnRuth »

I was in Chicken Rehab for over a month.
I'm back now, though.
Did I miss anything?
California Girl

Yeah, what was this all about anyway?

I've been ionized, but I'm ok now.
StJohnRuth

Post by StJohnRuth »

Pipinale was torturing me about chickens.