United upping 2nd checked bag fee to $50 each way!!

Travel discussion for St. John
Lulu76

Post by Lulu76 »

Oh, OK. That scared me. I'm still scared, but less scared.

I guess we will see when I fly again in November whether or not they charge you when there's no room and they check your carry-on. I have really bad luck with this, and they always seem to ask me to check my bag.

The only time it's happened since the fees was Southwest, so I don't know if they charge. I think I remember reading that they would because so many people are trying to bring on carry-ons to get around the checked luggage scenario.

The way I look at it, if I have to leave my perfume at home and buy shaving cream when I arrive, they really shouldn't charge me...
tjwgrr

Post by tjwgrr »

Gromit wrote:I would imagine that if you are allowed a carry on bag and there is no place for you to put taht bag on board thye will check it for you without a fee.
Yep- similar to when you fly a regional carrier and there's no room in the overhead. They "gate check" your carry on, put in the hold, then it's placed on a cart or rack made available when you disembark.

Everyone is entitled to one properly sized carry-on, plus one personal item (purse, laptop, etc.)
StJohnMike

Post by StJohnMike »

Delta has been charging $50 for a second checked bag for all tickets purchased after August 5th, I think. But if you bought your ticket before that, like I did, it's "only" $25. And this is the first year that I'm considering bringing a second bag, sigh. :) Oh well, it's only money.
JT

Post by JT »

California Girl wrote:
ScubaGirl wrote:Maybe us forumites, should look into a self storage unit :?:
Hey Sydney! I think you just came up with a good idea for a business for someone to start on STT! You could store scuba gear, boxes that are shipped down ahead of a trip, and luggage that people want to stash while they shop in CA before their flight leaves! What a great idea! Nowwww... all we need is for someone to start it up! Hmmmm... :?
"Keep Me Posted" in Coral Bay already does it. Rae and George are great to deal with. They're downstairs from Lilly's Market at the Cocolobo Center. You can reach them at keepmepostedstjohn.com
When you find yourself in a hole.... quit digging.
LC

Post by LC »

Great. Now it will take even longer to board/de-plane as everyone crams luggage in and out of the overheads. :lol:
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

JT wrote: "Keep Me Posted" in Coral Bay already does it. Rae and George are great to deal with. They're downstairs from Lilly's Market at the Cocolobo Center. You can reach them at keepmepostedstjohn.com
That's cool, JT, but there should be a place like that on STT so you can stash your luggage while you shop in CA while waiting on a later flight. Also, if there was a place in STT, you could serve the STT travelers and the Cruz Bay travelers who don't want to drive over to Coral Bay (although I believe Connections in Cruz Bay also offers the same service, right?).

Last bumped by Anonymous on Fri Dec 22, 2023 4:55 am.