United upping 2nd checked bag fee to $50 each way!!

Travel discussion for St. John
Gromit

United upping 2nd checked bag fee to $50 each way!!

Post by Gromit »

United now charging $50 EACH WAY for a second checked bag. UNREAL.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080915/us_ ... irlines_dc
*Another fine scatterbrained production
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

I don't mind paying for a checked bag, but that's a little steep! Looks like I won't be booking any flights on United, unless I can do carry-on!
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

I have a question about this that came up last week. Aren't these fees per person? So say my reservation is for me and my husband. We can both check the first bag at whatever that fee is, right? So if it is a $15 dollar fee for first bag that is $30 for the couple, correct?
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

I just LOVE how they say that only 1 in 7 passengers will be affected. Seriously?? Chances are it's those 1 in 7 that really can't afford it!

Plus they are charging $15 each way fro the first checked bag. SO if you wnat to check 2 bags (as you used to) you might as well tack on $130 to the price of that ticket you see advertized on Orbitz when comparing prices.
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

MBW-- yest that's $15 per bag EACH way for the first checked bag-- $60 for both of you RT.
California Girl

I would still rather see these checked baggage fees than a hike in ticket prices. At least with the checked bags fee, you have the option of going carry-on for the price of your ticket alone. If they raise ticket prices instead, then those people flying carry-on have to pay the same as someone with 2 checked bags. I like options! :)
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

Gromit wrote:MBW-- yest that's $15 per bag EACH way for the first checked bag-- $60 for both of you RT.
that's what I thought but someone is arguing me that my bag is there first one and my husband's is the second one.
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

MBW-- not unless you are siamese twins and sit in the same seat. The price increase is based on each ticket and the corresponding passenger to that ticket.
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

Ha - have you met us? LOL
ok just want to make sure I know what I'm talking about in an argument :)
ScubaGirl

Post by ScubaGirl »

So if I booked my tickets, before they increased the price, do I get the lower price? :?

Man we're gonna have to start looking for a place to leave our scuba gear. We're there in December, lug it home and then lug it back in April. :(

Maybe us forumites, should look into a self storage unit :?:
Steve S

Post by Steve S »

I wonder what happens when all 150 people on 757 opt to carry on? Has anyone had such an experience already? Seeems to me that even if everyone had the right size bag and placed them in overhead correctly, there is only room for half to two-thirds of the passengers to have carry-ons.
Lulu76

Post by Lulu76 »

There is not enough room on any plane for six out of seven people (since they say only one out of seven is affected) to bring just a carry-on. I flew in May on Southwest, which doesn't charge for bags but I don't like to wait for luggage. I was in the second boarding group and they had to put my bag underneath because there was no room once I got to the front. Now, if I had to do that on any other airline, I guess there would be a little surprise on my VISA.
California Girl

ScubaGirl wrote:Maybe us forumites, should look into a self storage unit :?:
Hey Sydney! I think you just came up with a good idea for a business for someone to start on STT! You could store scuba gear, boxes that are shipped down ahead of a trip, and luggage that people want to stash while they shop in CA before their flight leaves! What a great idea! Nowwww... all we need is for someone to start it up! Hmmmm... :?
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

I would imagine that if you are allowed a carry on bag and there is no place for you to put taht bag on board thye will check it for you without a fee.

Has anyone else had this experience?

ScubaGirl-- that's not a bad idea! Maybe villa owners are looking to make a few bucks and are willing to store your gear!
California Girl

Lulu76 wrote:There is not enough room on any plane for six out of seven people (since they say only one out of seven is affected) to bring just a carry-on.
I don't think that the 6 out of 7 they are referring to area all carry-on people. Here's what the article states:
The fee will not apply to customers in the United First or United Business programs, those with Premier status with United or Star Alliance, or active duty military personnel traveling on orders.