Any recent experience with car barge @ Red Hook?

Travel discussion for St. John
mahojim

Any recent experience with car barge @ Red Hook?

Post by mahojim »

Hello, everyone.
With some advice from you helpful folks, I was convinced to rent our jeep from dependable on STT. I've read on other forums about issues with rude and disorganized car ferry operators at Red Hook. Can anyone verify that kind of rumor?
I'm not personally worried, but more concerned for the rest of our party. I hate unexpected downers that leave a bad taste in your mouth.
Ideas/advice?
Thanks, and Smiles-
Jimmy
DELETED

Re: Any recent experience with car barge @ Red Hook?

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
alw1977

Post by alw1977 »

removed
sherban

Post by sherban »

We did the Dependable jeep + car ferry in June...no problems. Get in line and pay your money....the back your jeep into your slot and enjoy the ride over to the rock.

A couple ice cold beers in a cooler might be good medicine...
Amy

Post by Amy »

We rode the car barge over on our recent trip in August, and had no problems at all. Just listen to the directions you'll get, be prepared to back on, and you'll be fine. This was our first time with the barge, and the whole experience was much easier than I expected.
sailorgirl

Post by sailorgirl »

Read the latest installment on the Reef Madness Blog!
mahojim

Post by mahojim »

Dig it, ya'll-thanks!
FYI-I'm going to be Smilin' :) :) :)
Not long, now-
Jimmy
psufan

Post by psufan »

The only trouble we had was when they decided to fit just one more large industrial sized truck on the barge. In order to do that they had many of us debark and then back in again, much closer together than the first time! No problems, just time consuming.
Tracy in WI

Post by Tracy in WI »

We used the car ferry in July and also had no problems with any sort of rudeness - even with my questionable backing up skills!

The only issue we had was on the way back to STT and the airport - they loaded the ferry slowly and totally full and we had a long wait. Almost missed the flight...! So, give yourself some extra time. We thought we did! :wink:

Tracy
SarahD

Post by SarahD »

sailorgirl wrote:Read the latest installment on the Reef Madness Blog!
I didn't catch anything about the car barge, but sis want to say thanks for mentioning the blog so I could waste an entire afternoon reading it! LOL!!!!! :lol:
sailorgirl

Post by sailorgirl »

SarahD wrote:
I didn't catch anything about the car barge, but sis want to say thanks for mentioning the blog so I could waste an entire afternoon reading it! LOL!!!!! :lol:
http://www.reefmadnessvilla.com/RMseque ... l#mar22007
mahojim

Post by mahojim »

Thanks again for the vote of confidence, folks! Sherb-You're the best.34 days-
:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :
Jimmy
SarahD

Post by SarahD »

sailorgirl wrote:
SarahD wrote:
http://www.reefmadnessvilla.com/RMseque ... l#mar22007
Ah, got it! Thanks! :)

Btw, "sis" was supposed to be "did." :)
Bill in Va

Car ferry love

Post by Bill in Va »

Yo....A June rider report. This was our first car ferry adventure thanks to RickG's advice. It was so neat not having to slep the luggage and pay per bag. My take is get there early as in more than a half hour especially on St John end. No problem and we are doing it again this trip in Nov/Dec.Oh..we hit the grocery store and KMart before we got on the ferry....God bless...Bill
You are never too old to have a happy childhood...
mahojim

Post by mahojim »

Thanks again, ya'll!
Another question that was brought up by our travelling companions was- do we stay in our car? My uneducated guess was "I have no idea." I've always rented a jeep on STJ, so I'm clueless as far as all of this is concerned. We're definately going to do some food/booze/beer shopping while we're on STT, and also hit Duffy's for some drinks and wings before we head over to STJ. We land @ 11 a.m. at the airport, so I'm thinking about giving ourselves an hour or two to play with before we hit the barge.
Where can I find a car-barge ferry schedule, and are the scheduled times reliable?
I'm only really concerned on behalf of the villa rental company, so I can give them an accurate arrival/ meet & greet time when we get there.
Thanks again-
32 days 'til we're on our way!
Smiles-
MJ