Where can we meet?

Travel discussion for St. John
California Girl

Where can we meet?

Post by California Girl »

Ok, I finally talked my best friend into going to St. John with us (not that it took much coaxing). But she was still undecided until Laura T posted about the Spirit Airlines sale. Last night my friend got a round trip ticket to STT from LAX for $423!! Ok! Great! Although hubby & I are flying on American, we all leave LAX at the same time (11:45 p.m.) but my friend gets in about 2 hrs. after we do. Now comes the question! WHERE CAN WE MEET? 2 hrs. is too long to hang around in the baggage claim area, I don't know enough about Charlotte Amalie to pick a place to meet her, and my friend knows NOTHING at all about the Virgin Islands other than what I've told her so she's no help at all in this! LOL!

I know there's a Best Western hotel within walking distance of the airport... does it have a bar or restaurant where we could hang out for a couple of hours?

I am looking for any and all suggestions so we can meet up easily and without too much hassle. She's a seasoned traveler, but will be a stranger in a strange land when she's wheels down on STT. We all want to go to STJ on the ferry together.

THANKS FORUM! You guys are always so great!
promoguy

Re: Where can we meet?

Post by promoguy »

What I would do is to take a taxi to Red Hook. You hang out at one of the bars/joints. Have her meet you there. It's easier than trying to hook up in CA, since you both have to take the same ferry.

California Girl wrote:Ok, I finally talked my best friend into going to St. John with us (not that it took much coaxing). But she was still undecided until Laura T posted about the Spirit Airlines sale. Last night my friend got a round trip ticket to STT from LAX for $423!! Ok! Great! Although hubby & I are flying on American, we all leave LAX at the same time (11:45 p.m.) but my friend gets in about 2 hrs. after we do. Now comes the question! WHERE CAN WE MEET? 2 hrs. is too long to hang around in the baggage claim area, I don't know enough about Charlotte Amalie to pick a place to meet her, and my friend knows NOTHING at all about the Virgin Islands other than what I've told her so she's no help at all in this! LOL!

I know there's a Best Western hotel within walking distance of the airport... does it have a bar or restaurant where we could hang out for a couple of hours?

I am looking for any and all suggestions so we can meet up easily and without too much hassle. She's a seasoned traveler, but will be a stranger in a strange land when she's wheels down on STT. We all want to go to STJ on the ferry together.

THANKS FORUM! You guys are always so great!
FlaGeorge

Post by FlaGeorge »

I would tell her to meet you at Glady’s Café. It’s in the Danish Mall where there are lots of shops. You can look at the shops – head to Glady’s and have a quick bite and a few drinks.
FlaGeorge

"Swim Against The Current - Even a Dead Fish Can Go With The Flow"
California Girl

Hey George & promoguy! Thanks for your suggestions!

I thought about Gladys' (I even actually know where that is!) but it would be waaay too tricky for her.

And, promoguy, I don't want her to have to take a taxi all the way to Red Hook by herself. I need someplace close in that doesn't require a taxi ride farther than Charlotte Amalie.

Next?
:D
promoguy

Post by promoguy »

California Girl wrote:Hey George & promoguy! Thanks for your suggestions!

I thought about Gladys' (I even actually know where that is!) but it would be waaay too tricky for her.

And, promoguy, I don't want her to have to take a taxi all the way to Red Hook by herself. I need someplace close in that doesn't require a taxi ride farther than Charlotte Amalie.

Next?
But Ms CalGal, once you're in a taxi, you're in a taxi. It can take you to CA or Red Hook or if you're a bad boy/girl can take you to where bad people go. :lol:
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Everyone always talks about the Greenhouse--it's in downtown CA--would that work?

There's also a little place called Bumpas on the second story of the main street--they have frozen drinks, beer, coffee, bagels, etc. I've not had the fine adult beverages there since I've only been in the morning, but I can tell you it is a nice place to sit and people watch, and it's right across from the CA ferry.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
California Girl

Promoguy: Where do the bad boys & girls go? Sounds interesting. :twisted: The only thing about the taxi to Red Hook is that my friend is somewhat timid about crazy drivers and I think she may have to change her pants after that ride alone (alone meaning "not with us")

Liamsaunt: I think I actually know where Bumpas is! We walked in there and weren't sure about eating breakfast (lunch?) there. But it was my first stop in CA and I had no idea about the place. That's a great suggestion. We could see her pull up and yell at her from up above! :) I'll also check out the Greenhouse. Thanks!
promoguy

Post by promoguy »

Actually Bumpas is a good idea and take the CA ferry, so can I second that.

Bad boys go to Chanos Tacos y Tortas.

http://tacohunt.blogspot.com/2006/01/chanos.html
ScottB

Post by ScottB »

Bad girls/boys also tend to hang out in 9A at Gallows :lol:
California Girl

ScottB wrote:Bad girls/boys also tend to hang out in 9A at Gallows :lol:
Scott, you don't seem so "bad" (but what do I know?!), however I DO know promoguy, and I'd say you called it right on that one! LOL!
California Girl

liamsaunt wrote:Everyone always talks about the Greenhouse--it's in downtown CA--would that work?

There's also a little place called Bumpas on the second story of the main street--they have frozen drinks, beer, coffee, bagels, etc. I've not had the fine adult beverages there since I've only been in the morning, but I can tell you it is a nice place to sit and people watch, and it's right across from the CA ferry.
Hi again! I checked online and found a super good picture of Bumpas (and also the Cardow Jewelers sign), so I printed it out. I also found a great map of CA that shows Cardow Jewelers. This should be a cinch! I checked The Greenhouse, too. Also found a picture of it and it's also marked on the map, but with Bumpas being right across the street from the ferry dock, I think it's a slam dunk!

Thanks Liamsaunt!! Excellent suggestions everyone!
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

I personally, even after several trips to STT/STJ would not want to head to Red Hook alone.

I would check the CA ferry schedule, find the one she'll be able to make based on her flight time and meet her there. Easy drop off. She doesn't have to lug her stuff around and you can go do whatever floats your boat until the boat comes in.

Then all she has to do is get her bag and a taxi to CA ferry. Easy as pie.
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

Take your cellphones and she can call you when she is leaving the airport. then shut them off and injoy the peace and quit
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Happy to be of help! :D

I don't know if it is true or not, but John told me that John Grisham wrote the end to one of his novels while sitting at Bumpas. Can't recall what the name of it was, but I do remember that it ended with the main character moving to the Caymans. Of course, that could be about half his books!
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
RonUSVI

Arrival time?

Post by RonUSVI »

A lot of what you do hinges on what time you arrive, and then of course them, 2 hours later. Some of the places mentioned could be closed by then!
RL 8)