All that rain is headed my way.........

Travel discussion for St. John
ScubaGirl

All that rain is headed my way.........

Post by ScubaGirl »

We are currenly under a wind and rain warning for the entire weekend.

All that rain that fell on the Islands this week, is now a named storm, and is headed right for us.

2 weeks ago we got 144 mm of rain in 48 hours from Hanna.

Here's a link to the latest storm.

http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/tr ... .html?MR=1
pjayer

Post by pjayer »

Stay safe. I wish you could send some of it down here. We are dry, dry, dry.
When the end of the world comes, I want to be in Kentucky, because everything there happens 20 years after it happens anywhere else. – Mark Twain
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

Hey ScubaGirl I saw the weather report this AM and IMMEDIATELY though of you!! I hate the way our weather folks say-- "well, it won't hit the U.S. coast" and then offer NO additional info -- as if no one else EXISTS beyond our borders! Then I remembered the photos of the flooding you had this year.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it passes quickly and doesn't park over your neck of the woods!

Stay dry!!
*Another fine scatterbrained production
SusanNJ

Post by SusanNJ »

We are getting drenched right now too with rain. A good 'ol Nor'Easter is upon us. Hopefully this isn't a precursor for what's headed here this winter!!
aroobagirl

Post by aroobagirl »

Susan, I suspect it is going to be a fierce winter in the NE. We are way overdue and the chill seems early this year.
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

Hubby keeps making fun of me because I was making a big deal of the squirrel factor. Those guys started gathering nuts on Labor Day week-end.

I'm president of my Home Owners Association (a community of nearly 6,000 homes here in NoVA) and we're working on our $4.6 million budget right now. Anyway I told our ED to up the snow removal budget this year because I have this feeling that it's gonna be a tough one! If I'm wrong, so be it. But I'd rather overplan than get caught off guard.
piscesgirl0314

Post by piscesgirl0314 »

I'm in Chesapeake, VA and we got dumped on yesterday. CRAZY wind and rain. We've had a dry summer so the rain was much needed.
cass

Post by cass »

Gromit wrote:Hubby keeps making fun of me because I was making a big deal of the squirrel factor. Those guys started gathering nuts on Labor Day week-end.
The squirrels here have been crazy over their nuts for a long time now also! They have buried them allover my yard!
Image Image
"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears or the sea." -Isak Dinesen
SusanNJ

Post by SusanNJ »

aroobagirl wrote:Susan, I suspect it is going to be a fierce winter in the NE. We are way overdue and the chill seems early this year.
You are so right. It definitely feels that way. We ARE due for a bad winter - remember '96? I do ski so I do like the snow, BUT I just don't like driving in it or shoveling it!!!
aroobagirl

Post by aroobagirl »

Gromit - Where in NOVA? I'm over near GMU.
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

Burke -- now if you're enterprising you can figure out my REAL identity! ;-)
RickG

Post by RickG »

Meanwhile, in McLean the squirrels are quite insane and destructive. I've been trapping them in a HavAHart trap and letting them go at the high school. They'll do anything for hickory nuts.

My friends out in Oakton who keep bees say the hives are incredibly full of honey and that other beekeepers are reporting the same. Storm coming...

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
aroobagirl

Post by aroobagirl »

Rick G - As long as it holds off until after Nov 9th I am cool with it!

Gromit - Enterprising sounds too ambitious for a Friday afternoon!
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

:wink: :lol:
RickG

Post by RickG »

Oh, in fine VA we are okay until at least the middle of November. Well, there was that big Thanksgiving snow of 1989...

Caught another squirrel today. McLean High School has one more resident. I may start stenciling MHS on them. A squirrel-cam would be fun.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI